The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Telefunken ELA M511?
Old 26th June 2015
Gear Head
Telefunken ELA M511 / AKG D502?

I recently purchased this mic on eBay for $50 but I cant find much info on it:

Telefunken ELA M511?Telefunken Ela M511 Microphone | eBay

Does anyone here have any experience with this mic or know where I could find any info on it?

EDIT: After some research, I found that this is the same mic as the AKG D502, but I still can't find much info.

Last edited by rkelley1408; 26th June 2015 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: Found more info
Old 6th July 2015
Gear Nut
Hi! You've purchased a pretty neat talkback mic! The M511 was basically used for vocal amplification in live situations. I've seen them in churches or mounted on heavy stands with pushbuttons for conference/talkback situations.

Yup, and it has a high pass filter to decrease handling noise.

I think it might work well on kick drum, I seem to remember that I read that somewhere, otherwise just put it in front of a guitar amp and enjoy - I'm sure you'll get some nice tones from that.
Old 17th July 2015
Gear Head
Thanks for the info!

I figured it was probably a talkback mic, but even though that's not what I intend on using it for I thought for $50 for a vintage Telefunken it couldn't be that bad!
Old 18th July 2015
Gear Nut
I did a little more research and found out that it is a pretty hot mic with quite high sensitivity, but a rather low SPL rating for a dynamic mic, 128dB if the information is reliable - so kick drum might not be the #1 purpose for it.

It should have pretty good rear rejection, though, so maybe you can use it for lower level signals in an acoustically crowded setup.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search