The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MS Hololens and the Future of Music Production Plugin Bundles
Old 17th June 2015
Lives for gear

MS Hololens and the Future of Music Production

The presentation of Microsoft's Hololens literally blew my mind. This thing will change nearly everything in the next couple of years: how we interact, how we get entertained, how we work and how we make music. How we live. The future starts NOW.
My personal forecast is that the streets and homes are going to be full of people with Hololenses on their eyes; similar to what we are experiencing with Smartphone's right now.

I am curious what your thoughts are about this ground breaking innovation and what you think will change e.g. in

- the way we produce music, listen to music

- the way the entertainment industry will look like

- and - slightly ot - the way the society as a whole evolves after the wide acceptance of this technology?

Microsoft HoloLens (from Wiki):

The premier device for Windows Holographic, Microsoft HoloLens is a smart glasses unit that is a cordless, self-contained Windows 10 computer. It uses advanced sensors, a high-definition 3D optical head-mounted display, and spatial sound to allow for augmented reality applications, with a natural user interface that the user interacts with through gaze, voice, and hand gestures.[9][10][note 3] Codenamed "Project Baraboo," HoloLens had been in development for five years before its announcement in 2015, but was conceived earlier as the original pitch made in late 2007 for what would become the Kinect technology platform.[10][11]
Microsoft expects HoloLens to be made available "in the Windows 10 timeframe" and priced for use in both the enterprise and consumer markets.[7] An unnamed Microsoft executive said that HoloLens would cost significantly more than a game console.[12]

Old 20th June 2015
Lives for gear

A single bump...

Hmm, is this topic to abstract?

Picture sitting in a holo-session with your band mates - every person rocking at home with their Hololenses on - but all rehearsing "together" via the web.
Not sure how to repair a piece of gear and simply call the support who shows you via a holographic constructional drawing how to repair it?
Education: What about the piano teacher sitting next to you via a hologram...

I am certainly aware that there are various problematic aspects to this technology but that's how it is right now. There is a reason why Microsoft kind of gives a way Windows 10 for free. This gear will change our lives; for the better or the worse.
Old 20th June 2015
Gear Nut

Yep looks pretty dope. Definitely interesting to say the least. Not sure how far off they are with the technology but the next wave of technological advancement is definitely coming soon. I believe Graphene and HoloLens is where tech is headed. I work in IT as a Systems Admin so I usually get to see new and interesting technology and see new trends before they catch on to the mainstream.

Also can be very frustrating considering how much studio technology still seems to be in the dark ages....
Old 21st June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by color View Post
A single bump...

Hmm, is this topic to abstract?

Picture sitting in a holo-session with your band mates - every person rocking at home with their Hololenses on - but all rehearsing "together" via the web.
Not sure how to repair a piece of gear and simply call the support who shows you via a holographic constructional drawing how to repair it?
Education: What about the piano teacher sitting next to you via a hologram...

I am certainly aware that there are various problematic aspects to this technology but that's how it is right now. There is a reason why Microsoft kind of gives a way Windows 10 for free. This gear will change our lives; for the better or the worse.
It's an interesting jump from conventional, claustrophobic VR; what are we calling this, something like virtually-enhanced reality or something?

On that particular practical application, online jamming, I'm afraid that only the nearby and latency-tolerant among us are going to be jamming online any time soon (like before they repeal the laws of physics and/or figure out better ways of stitching together low-latency network connections from existing infrastructure). For reference, I just did a network latency test from here (just south of LA) to NY State and got a r/t latency of 89 ms. With a straight wire and no digital conversion/buffering, you could get that down to 25 to 30 ms or so, I think. (Not that that is practical or going to happen. The days of the intercontinental analog, realtime hookup are over.)

But, agreed, this is an interesting and promising avenue.

(BTW, seems to me I recall being surprised by a relatively narrow VR field which is, I guess, currently fairly limited in width? Anyone know the details on that?)
Old 21st June 2015
Does this mean that in the near future you will all be sitting at home with this thing on your head projecting a fake world on you wich you will prefer to live in ?

Will this make people stop interacting with 'the real world' ?

I'm am so going to love this technology, you should all have this
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmik Prod. View Post
Does this mean that in the near future you will all be sitting at home with this thing on your head projecting a fake world on you wich you will prefer to live in ?

Will this make people stop interacting with 'the real world' ?

I'm am so going to love this technology, you should all have this
Yes, propably. Ever watched - mostly females - what they are doing when they are getting bored, nervious or angry: They are typing on their phone (facebook).
And yes, we males on this board are not that different. Efficiency is the key-word here, IMO. No need to drive, no need to interact, no need to put in a cable or to set up an amp.

Just wanted to sensitize everyone on this board for the future. Haha. (As if this would change anything.)

We all know: Emotions, efficiency and some blinking lights react much faster on the brain than will-power, human interaction and friendship ever will.

Thanks for your responses so far!
Old 2nd April 2016
Lives for gear
I've wanted hi-rez vr glasses a long time. As a replacement for multiple monitors. A nice hi-rez glasses and proper OS could display the equivalent of screen real estate up down and sideways. Last time I looked, headworn monitors were too expensive and too lo-rez.

The apps in those videos, not so interesting. Just give me a viable alternative to big computer monitors, without the big computer monitors.

Hopefully they won't get so fancy about "innovation", that they neglect to simply sell a good-looking replacement hardware/drivers to emulate big monitors, that fit on one's head and do not take up any real-estate in the room. Sell a headset that does that and nothing else, for about the price of a video monitor, and sell lots of em fast.

Wonder how the holo-lens will work for folks who are blind in one eye?

IOW, as headphones can often substitute for speakers, just an inexpensive hi-rez tech that would be "headphones for the eyes". Except it ought to update the display according to head and/or eye position so you can put video screens "anywhere you need them".

Which is kinda-sorta similar to what the microsoft propaganda is hawking. I just don't see it as attractive to be able to walk around inside a computer window, controlling an application by waving one's arms and making weird hand gestures, as schizophrenics often do.

Perhaps like computer speech recognition. Nifty but how practical? For one thing, computers rarely understand my redneck accent so good. For another, I can type on a keyboard 8 hours straight and my fingers still feel fine. Not tired, not injured. If I had to talk to the computer for 8 hours straight my throat would be sore fer sure.

Same deal, many tasks it would be a hell of a lot easier to twitch a mouse all day rather than wave your hands in the air all day.
Old 2nd April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
It's an interesting jump from conventional, claustrophobic VR; what are we calling this, something like virtually-enhanced reality or something?

On that particular practical application, online jamming, I'm afraid that only the nearby and latency-tolerant among us are going to be jamming online any time soon (like before they repeal the laws of physics and/or figure out better ways of stitching together low-latency network connections from existing infrastructure). For reference, I just did a network latency test from here (just south of LA) to NY State and got a r/t latency of 89 ms. With a straight wire and no digital conversion/buffering, you could get that down to 25 to 30 ms or so, I think. (Not that that is practical or going to happen. The days of the intercontinental analog, realtime hookup are over.)

But, agreed, this is an interesting and promising avenue.

(BTW, seems to me I recall being surprised by a relatively narrow VR field which is, I guess, currently fairly limited in width? Anyone know the details on that?)

Come on theblue1, we both know what is going to happen - similar to what happened to every successful innovation ever.

You know the drill! An overpriced product for nerds will enter the market, followed by silences and boom..... it will - ----- explode, and we ALL will be struggeling within a story we haven't even written. Computers, Mobile Phones, Tablets, Labtops, all is interconnected. .......

The practical applications of these above mentioned Hololenses are, IMO, ENDLESS. Let's be careful, though.
Let's mark this last day in our lifes were we actually visited our friends, clients, supermarkets, band-mates, bosses and - girl/boy-friends face to face.

And yes, there might be also some postive applications of this new technology at the horizon.

Last edited by color; 2nd April 2016 at 03:44 AM.. Reason: Positve
Old 2nd April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
That'll be "augmented reality".
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search