The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 44 small format console
Old 31st December 2006
Lives for gear

Neve 44 small format console

Hi guys, my first thread so be gentle

Done a search here, and in Google, but to no avail.

Ive seen a Neve 44 24 channel console for sale for about £8K all in.
Does anyone here have any experience on the desk? What preamps/ eqs would it use, and are they good?

I record mainly rock bands, and I plan to use the preamps to track through into Nuendo via 2xHD192s, then out again into the line inputs to mix on.

Would this be a good desk to go for? Ive been looking at ATB,8T, Soundtracs, Soundcrafts, Ameks, etc, so this is a bit of a huge step up in price, but would it be worth it, (other than to say "Ive got a Neve desk!")?
Heres what the it says with the advert;

"Super compact! 20 mic/line mono channels + 4 line channels - 2 master buses - 3 auxs (one is stereo with pan) - Compressors on main outputs - nice Talkbalk & Monitor sections - totally recaped - a dream!"

Any thoughts or experiences would be great.

Many thanks,
Oz
Old 31st December 2006
Gear Addict

Welcome to GS Oz!

I was in touch with echorec on one of these a little while back. Maybe he can chime in here and give some detailed info.

If you are looking for a vintage Neve desk then you might have to look further for a Kelso or Melbourn sidecar instead. The 44 you are looking at is probably not much older than ca 15 years +/- and has quite a different more modern design. (But still probably great in its own way).

Here are some pictures from recordingconsoles.net

All the best,
Eide
Old 1st January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for your reply and pics Eide.
Im not sure if this is the right console for me as its way over what I want to spend, and its a lot of £ for a name!

If anyone has heard one of these and think its a worthwile investment, please let me know!!
May thanks,
Oz
Old 26th December 2007
Lives for gear

will this model have transformers in the pre's... ?
Old 26th December 2007
jhg
Lives for gear

I believe this is the same guts as the 66 series: These have Belclere TF10015 input transformers, chip based EQ, similar to the V series, but with an additional HF and LF filters. Built by Siemens in Germany after they bought the Neve name.

Hope this is of some use.

Regards,

jhg
Old 26th December 2007
Gear Addict

I just read this on some other forum:
RemyRAD wrote:So I think that the 44 series console you are talking about is probably a Siemens Neve broadcast board?
You're wrong, the Neve 44 series was designed and manufactured by Neve before Neve was bought by Siemens. Siemens just kept on manufacturing it after they acquired the Neve company...

RemyRAD wrote: That 55 series console was all surface mount components with very poor quality switches and potentiometers, no better than a cheap PA console. There was nothing to admire about its sound either. C'est la vie

Wrong, the 44 is a modular console, no surface mount, good pots (sfernice) and switches. Transformers are found on each mic preamp. I have been using one for years without any problem.

Moreover how can someone compare the benefit of 2 channels of 1073 on one hand and 20 channels of 44 on the other? If someone wants a console, it's probably because he needs to record more than two signal at once...

In summary, the Neve 44 console was certainly not the top of the Neve production but, depending on the price it is sold, it can provide 20 channels of very interesting preamps and EQs. The sound quality can easily be compared to the Studer 169 or the Sony MXP-2000 (MCI circuits) for instance.

dl

Interesting... which version is correct?! Is it Neve or Siemens? :O... I've seen a few of these for sale for not so much $$ myself... perhaps interesting if you get 20 funky 70ies sounging pre-amps...
Old 26th December 2007
jhg
Lives for gear

If memory serves me correct(since this is a more or less inconsequential fact, it probably does) Siemens took over Neve in 1985, the 66 series was released in 1989. It sure seems like it was aimed at broadcasters...

Anybody need any modules?

Old 26th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhg View Post
If memory serves me correct(since this is a more or less inconsequential fact, it probably does) Siemens took over Neve in 1985, the 66 series was released in 1989. It sure seems like it was aimed at broadcasters...
Hi

Yes, you are right with the Siemens date... I left December 1985 when they were just making V Mk1's... one of which had exploding electrolytics literally at the moment the Siemen's chief was giving a speech... and the 44 and 66 were both way into the future.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search