The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing: Sennhesier HD 800 vs AKG K812
Old 24th June 2015
Didn't know about the Phonitor Mini, it looks like a really good deal. I use the Phonitor (version 1) but not so much now. What I will say is that I like the crossfeed and speaker angle options, personally. But you must find the right setting that sounds most like your speakers do - this takes some time, but once found, set it and forget it. Don't keep changing the settings. Then you must listen to lots of music through it to see how commercial music comes across with these settings as it will be different, so you need to re-calibrate your ears for using these settings and amp for your work. Also decide whether you definitely want to use the crossfeed/speaker settings, as turning it on and off will give you completely different opinions especially on bass frequencies. On the one hand you have speakers so why do you need a headphone amp that makes it sound as if you're using speakers, would it be wiser to have it how most would hear it, without these fancy settings? But if you are using it instead of speakers then it's well worth it.
Old 26th June 2015
Gear Addict

I compared the 600 800 and 812 in a shop yesterday....

The 600 is definitely a step down ...the 812 was good apart from an annoying emphasis on the vocal siblance ...The 800 had this slightly too but nowhere as near as prominent.

This problem got me wondering if studio mixes artificially boosted this frequency range and the high end headphones are showing us this??

Also if headphones aren't bass heavy ...then of course all your mixes on other systems will be bass heavy...

I also tried out the auzeze but they were so physically heavy that it immeadiately put me off so that I didn't bother to listen as I knew I would never buy them.

So the 800 won by default ...and they do sound very good and detailed....very comfortable too.

Last edited by musicman666; 26th June 2015 at 01:31 AM..
Old 26th June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman666 View Post

So the 800 won by default ...and they do sound very good and detailed....very comfortable too.
Agreed.

I do find the HD 800 very revealing and they will show up any deficiencies in the chain - from the headphone amp, right back to the microphone and recording.

A good recording sounds superb, but they will reveal everything in a poor recording.
Old 2nd September 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac Zikis View Post
Didn't know about the Phonitor Mini, it looks like a really good deal.
It's an even better deal when an online retailer is selling it for £381, I notice it, buy it, receive it, then notice they have put the price up to £512! I'm happy they honoured their error in pricing.
Old 2nd September 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I recommend whatever you choose try the sonarworks reference plugin with a file for those headphones - its changed the game for my HD650. With this plugin IMO you can get cheaper headphones like the HD600 and have a more accurate monitoring solution than the most expensive headphones available - because I doubt any of them are as flat as a decent pair once corrected...
Sonarworks works great with my HD650s too!
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear

FWIW: Phonitor 2 + Sonarworks Reference 3 + HD800 = Amazing!
Old 7th December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Im selling my Phonitor II if anyone is interested... Just got a replacement refurb new in box, and don't want to open it in case someone wants it. Great headphone amp, I just think I hate SPL as a company now.
Old 7th December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres View Post
Im selling my Phonitor II if anyone is interested... Just got a replacement refurb new in box, and don't want to open it in case someone wants it. Great headphone amp, I just think I hate SPL as a company now.
What happened?
Old 8th December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom25 View Post
What happened?
Their unit burned three times with various different headphones... I have sent them video of it ocurring while listening to music.
And they blamed me for not using the unit properly.... I told them to send me a different unit this time... Im sure the first unit had problems and was an absolute piece of crap, but I did not appreaciate being blamed for it in spite of me sending them video help trouble shoot the problem ... I had asked for a replacement unit the first 2 times it stopped working, but they keep repairing and resending the same piece of **** Phonitor. They finally sent me a different one this time but I am planning to sell it as I don't want to deal with their ****... Grace sounds better anyways. I know its not the best way to sell the unit, but I their customer service is horrible. And the reliability of their products makes Behringer seem incredibly well made.

Im not a troll, you can see me in the past praising their Phonitor because it sounds great... I just don't think dealing with SPL, and more specifically Audio Plus Services which handles their warranty is worth it. Even my Behringer gear last longer.

Here is a video showing it is not my fault https://video.nest.com/clip/be281452...0328c6f299.mp4

First their excuse was that I possibly turned on the unit without pressing mute first, then it was about plugging and unplugging the headphones, and then it was that my headphones (All of them apparently) have broken connectors. EXcuses after excuses to defend their horrendous design.

I can share some of the email transcripts from Eric Adler and the Audio Plus Services team regarding this if anyone wants to see what it is like dealing with this people.

It does sound really great, and has some awesome features... If anyone wants to buy it anyways I can sell it for $1200. THis time I made sure they send me a completely different unit as I think their tech was not finding the issue or something as it burned 3 times in 2 years.
Old 9th December 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehmman View Post
The QES Labs HPBA-2 S is a unique amp in many aspects.
First of all, you need a balanced cable for proper operation:

Balanced operation: allows the headphones to work without the ground connection,
where ground is always a carrier of noise and interference,
allowing you to get the best S/N performance, squeezing the last bit of sound.
Current drive: contrary to the vast majority of amps, which work in voltage drive,
the HPBA-2 works as a current source for the headphones, and from the laws of physics,
you know it's the current not the voltage to directly drive the coil/membrane.
This is an incredible step forward in driving the voice coil faster, for an instant response.

I've tried and lived with many amps through the years, actually the HPBA-2 S and HD-800 is my reference combo.
The cross-feed action was not for me, while the current-drive feature of HPBA-2 and the
immense clarity and abundance of detail of the HD-800 really let a veil be dropped in reproduction.
And that was exactly what counted for me.

For pricing info it is best to directly inquiry to QES Labs.
How would you compare it to the new HD 800 S ?
Old 12th December 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

The new HD 800 S headphones aim for balance and fidelity, more tonally balanced with respect to the plain version, still retaining that immense wide and detailed soundstage. They benefit in being current-driven, and the Qes Labs Hpba-2 can excellently accomplish this task. This is actually my reference combo.
Old 13th December 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Phonitor II, a bit too colored for my taste.
Old 15th December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGreg View Post
???? Wut??? I think this is like one of the most transparent setups... I had to get a pair of 10k monitors to get similar resolution, and transparency. Still thought I'd recommend a Grace amp instead... SPL is horrible to deal with.
Old 15th December 2016
Lives for gear

Haven't heard them but imagine the new Beyer DT 1990 should considered in this company.

Cheers
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGreg View Post
Errr...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres View Post
???? Wut??? I think this is like one of the most transparent setups...
That! I've been through a lot of top end (£££) HP amps and the P2/PX is the most transparent of them all. Invisible!
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirt View Post
Haven't heard them but imagine the new Beyer DT 1990 should considered in this company.
I had asked if someone here knew these but got no answers. So I got them anyway!
Definitely some of the finest cans in the price range, I like them a lot!
They're no 800S, but when you've had enough of that huge soundstage and want a bit more intimate and upfront sound and a bit more oomph, you can go for the 1990s. Very detailed, but not overly. In a good sense neutral, airy but not overpronounced highs and tight bass. They have surprisingly much bass for an open model, you can tweak the bass response with the included second pair of pads to a more even response.
Old 18th February 2017
Lives for gear

Great read. So anybody here who has experience with the AKG K812? They received a great review on SOS.
Very close to ordering it. I think that wooden stand would look great on the studio desk.

Old 18th February 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk View Post
Great read. So anybody here who has experience with the AKG K812? They received a great review on SOS.
Very close to ordering it. I think that wooden stand would look great on the studio desk.

I would go with Room headphone stands over Omegas because they squish the earpads.
Old 4th March 2017
It looks like not many pros on this forum has tried the K812, it seems strange because IMO the K701/702/712 sets the standard for its price range for pro studios so it seems like the K812 are the natural step up..
The HD800 on the other hands are very popular around GS. I've never heard both but I'm using the K712 everyday and didn't like the HD600/650 at all..
Old 15th August 2017
Gear Guru

THREAD necro here ....planning on getting a new pair , i use also sonarworks and sonarksw with my dt 990 is really someting ....

Now looking at the DT 1990 , anybody used it ? (tried the HD 600 , 650 , AKG 7XX ect and even my DT is better with soanrworks ...of course to my taste ...oh yeah tried the last Focal crazy thingy and it was an absolute disaster , i love this brand and i'm kinda usualy patriotic , but it didn't made it at all ...that said when you're sued to super flat responses by using systematically sonarworks , hard to listen to HP without , any brand ....)

i asked sonarworks guy for his view and since the have all brands on testing for measurement and he ws in favor also on the DT 1990 (tesla thingy)

I must say that the 650 had a pretty flat response , and yes the Freq response is not all ...at all !! but instinctivally the flatter it is out off the box , the less correction soanrwokrs will apply , the better phase wise it will be ...
Old 15th August 2017
Here for the gear

Making the HD800's sing

Dan Schmalle's Bottlehead Crack amp is outstanding with the 800's, and the Speedball p/s upgrade makes it a little better. The Crack is a single-ended triode, output transformerless amp for high-z phones. Swap out the standard 6080 tube for a WE 421-A which doesn't sound much different, but let's face it, having the Western Electric logo is cool, and coolness counts.

WW
📝 Reply