The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Duende, sounds great, but REALLY SUCKS, I MEAN - REALLY SUCKS
Old 27th December 2006
Lives for gear

Duende, sounds great, but REALLY SUCKS, I MEAN - REALLY SUCKS

I have given this piece of gear every possible chance I can. I have configured/reconfigured everything you can imagine. Call SSL Tech Support, you'll get a call back in a day or two and when they do talk to you you'll get canned responses. Question them, and you'll get a lot of attitude. I am a Tech Savvy guy and very patient. This unit has pushed me beyond the brink. If you have any other firewire devices, forget the Duende. If you have UAD, forget the Duende.

When it works, it sounds great, unfortunately for them, and me it rarely works. I know there are some users out there that are not experiencing the problems I am, but there are tons that are experiencing the same type issues as me. $1600.00 for a plugin, man that thing had better smoke, right out of the box. They obviously did not do their homework on this unit. By the time they get it right, you'll be able to run a million Waves SSL Eq's on your Mac, because by then, we will all be running 100 core duo Intel processors. Waves SSL and 10 years of WUP and your still cheaper than the Duende.

I hate the fact that this thing does not work.
Old 27th December 2006
Gear Nut

I have duende and 4 UAD cards and it works great. I notice they like each other better when you pull the UAD cards out of the MAC and into an expansion chasis. I am also using a RME fireface 800; the trick for me was the Drive issue. I was using FW drives and switched over to eSATA {pci} I am now getting better performance out my drives. If you look on the SSL's Mixbuss forum they have a posting on working setups. I am totally stoked with my setup, my mixes are sounding the best they have ever have....
Old 27th December 2006
Gear Maniac

That's almost like having a Digidesign system.

Quite involved.

SATA externals are great, but liquid mix, Duende, & other firewire devices you say hog the bandwidth too much.
Old 27th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrygates View Post
That's almost like having a Digidesign system.

Quite involved.

SATA externals are great, but liquid mix, Duende, & other firewire devices you say hog the bandwidth too much.
Spending 1300 bucks for an expanion chasis isn't practical for me. I do belive that it's all about bandwidth and exclusivity wiht the duende.
Old 27th December 2006
Here for the gear

Barry what is your machines and what else is in it ?
Old 27th December 2006
Gear Addict

Firewire

I've read about problems with Duende and a lot of them seem to be fixed by installing a firewire PCI card dedicated to it. I think that's much less expensive than an external chassis. If you're out of PCI slots --- let us know what you're getting rid of! ;-)
Old 27th December 2006
Lives for gear

I have a duende and also a ff800 and a maxtor one touch FW HD, and it works flawlessly on my dualcore g5

Also works perfectly on my powerbook

I am running logic pro 7.2.3
Old 27th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
Spending 1300 bucks for an expanion chasis isn't practical for me. I do belive that it's all about bandwidth and exclusivity wiht the duende.
I got mine on Ebay for $300, seriously. One of the best investments I have ever made. Someone on this forum told me to check on ebay, I was patient and I did just that - sure enough one came up.
Old 27th December 2006
Lives for gear

I have a G5DP 2.0. I have a PCI Firewire card, even bought another one, thinking there may be something wrong with mine. I have a RME FF800, which was first connected via FF800 so I changed that back to FF400 to see if that was an issue. I now run my FF800 as the front end to an Maudio Lightbridge to Protools Mpowered, which is also FW. Have 2 UAD Cards. When the Duende is by itself, then the issues are greatly minimized. As soon as UAD is put in, goes haywire.

Started clocking to Lightpipe, then went to SPDIF, and then to Wordclock. Nothing helped the Duende.

Disconnected my FF400 external hard drive, that didn't help either, but it sure hurt when it was plugged in.

The unit is fairly stable with Logic Pro, which I also have, worked terrible in DP5.11, which I also have. I mainly use Protools, and had intermittent issues in Protools when it was the only thing being used, when UAD’s were used, down she goes, snap, crackle, pop.

When I search the various forums trying to find solutions, I find so many other people having similar issues. I also have a Liquid Mix that I had to take out of the mix completely.

Well any, just got back from Guitar Center, returned the sucker for store credit.
Old 27th December 2006
Lives for gear

In what way does a PCI based UAD card interfere with a firewire device? That seems kind of odd.
Old 27th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
In what way does a PCI based UAD card interfere with a firewire device? That seems kind of odd.
I don't know if its due to one being PCI and the other being firewire or not. What I do know, is the two do not play well together for whatever reason.
Old 27th December 2006
Lives for gear

isnt it that in certain G5s pci and firewire are handled by the same chip just with different priorities?
i know that i had all kinds of issues when i tried to run 2 firefaces plus 2 firewireharddrives from the same G5.
just didnt work without dropouts and ****.
RME was blaming Apple for a poor implementation of the whole firewire buss design.
Old 27th December 2006
Jai guru deva om

Have you tried higher / different latency settings when you get snap, crackle pop?

War
Old 27th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Have you tried higher / different latency settings when you get snap, crackle pop?

War
Yes, everything. I really do think it's just an issue with UAD and Duende on my specific mac model. Those seem to be common denominators. The firewire card should have corrected that though.

I returned the unit last nigh and purchased Waves SSL bundle.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search