The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AES PCI CARD VS. ADAT PCI CARD Audio Interfaces
Old 24th December 2006
  #1
Gear Addict
 
Wakena2003's Avatar
 

AES PCI CARD VS. ADAT PCI CARD

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a dsp card to save computer power. Now I own an Lynx Aurora 8 with Lt ADAT card a Tascam FW1884 linked by Adat. And the tascam is plugged to a mac g5 with FW.

Sometimes I have problems during recording (stops, audio clicks...) So I think an DSP card to avoid FW connection is the best way to go.

But I want your advice for this 3 options:

- Lynx AES 16

- RME DSP AES 32

- RME HDSP 9652 (adat)

another options are wellcome...
Old 25th December 2006
  #2
Gear Addict
 
Wakena2003's Avatar
 

no advices?
Old 25th December 2006
  #3
Moderator
 
matt thomas's Avatar
I use the lynx and it is great, I'm sure the RME are great too though

I think perhaps AES would be better for higher sample rates, as you get more channels per pci slot than with ADAT on the rme 9652, I don't know the RME AES card

narco
Old 26th December 2006
  #4
Lives for gear
 

I have the Lynx AES16 SRC card and love it. I think it makes sense to use a Lynx with a Lynx - they obviously should work together perfectly, or if not, you are only dealing with one vendor.

As a digital cable formal, I think AES is the way to go. There are far to many other digital options that can only support very short cable lengths before major problems set in. You don't use unbalanced cable for long runs of audio, so why settle for unbalanced cable for digital? Using AES allows me the freedom to place the computer and external digital toys anywhere I want them.
Old 26th December 2006
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

the lynx aurora will work nicely with the lynx aes16.

good luck!
David
Old 3rd August 2009
  #6
How if the convertor wasn't Lynx, for example in my case it's Lucid 88192. Which choice is better?
I'm working on mac, using logic.
Old 4th August 2009
  #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas Alshafai View Post
How if the convertor wasn't Lynx, for example in my case it's Lucid 88192. Which choice is better?
I'm working on mac, using logic.
In a general sense, either will do the job fine, for any converters [AES or ADAT]. There is no racial bias against converters here, they can all be interfaced with their interfacing method, with any interfacing card sets. They all will do the job, of course in a different manor, and with different rules and terms. I think your preference in another thing, which is what this is all based on. The Lucid has ADAT and AES standard, so that makes it a bit easier doesn't it.

The Lynx AES16 or AES16e will be turn key with an Aurora 16, you just need the 1605 cables to interface them. Its a great system. You can easily do enough "input mixing" to get the job done. Some disagree. In MY experience, with me using the system, its more than fine. I can't speak for anyone else. If you are using other AD/DA's then you get the 1604 cables, and you can run any AES box you want.

Some people find RME's Total Mix, a virtue. Total Mix is the Routing Matrix that is supplied with every RME card, AES or ADAT etc. This software is incredible by my estimation, because it makes "input mixing" almost fun. I kid you not, this mixer is so awesome. My advice, go AES I/O with whatever card[s] you prefer for software mixing agility, and overall stability with your chosen computer hardware/software. They all work really well for what they do.
Old 4th August 2009
  #8
Lives for gear
 
White Falcon's Avatar
The Aurora 8 and a RME RayDAT here, once i got it working it has not let me down once. Totalmix is great, and the latency is very, very good!
Old 4th August 2009
  #9
Gear Addict
 
s34nsm411's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Falcon View Post
The Aurora 8 and a RME RayDAT here, once i got it working it has not let me down once. Totalmix is great, and the latency is very, very good!

isnt it a bit more expensive to go this route since you have to buy the raydat card and the adat expansion for the aurora vs just buying an aes card

and as long as were on the topic could somebody kindly tell me what cable would connect an aes port like the one on this RME: HDSPe AIO to the aes on something like the aurora?
Old 4th August 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakena2003 View Post
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a dsp card to save computer power. Now I own an Lynx Aurora 8 with Lt ADAT card a Tascam FW1884 linked by Adat. And the tascam is plugged to a mac g5 with FW.

Sometimes I have problems during recording (stops, audio clicks...) So I think an DSP card to avoid FW connection is the best way to go.

But I want your advice for this 3 options:

- Lynx AES 16

- RME DSP AES 32

- RME HDSP 9652 (adat)

another options are wellcome...
I've been using 9652s since they came out with now issues way over 10 years now
But I did read a scientific paper a while back stating AES was more stable than lightpipe/tsolink. and provided a higher quality signal. I don't see how how this could be. But maybe for some weird digital reason that are over my head.

I've never notice any quality degradation with lightpipe but who knows? there may be a difference in quality
Never had a chance to a/b them i n a real test. We need a Null test for this?

Is your room treated?
Old 4th August 2009
  #11
Lives for gear
 
White Falcon's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by s34nsm411 View Post
isnt it a bit more expensive to go this route since you have to buy the raydat card and the adat expansion for the aurora vs just buying an aes card
Well, the Lynx ADAT-card is pretty cheap. I wanted ADAT because it is very easy to expand your studio. There are many good boxes (preamps, AD/DA converters etc.) that you can connect through lightpipe. With the AES card you are more limited. But AES is great for those nasty sounding digital Yamaha mixers ;-)
Old 4th August 2009
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
But I did read a scientific paper a while back stating AES was more stable than lightpipe/tsolink. and provided a higher quality signal. I don't see how how this could be. But maybe for some weird digital reason that are over my head.

I've never notice any quality degradation with lightpipe but who knows? there may be a difference in quality
Never had a chance to a/b them i n a real test.
I agree with that paper, I have never read, nor heard of.

AES is a far better format than Optical. My college professor will call me nutz, but its been my experience that AES IS better than optical formats. I have no null tests, no white paper references, no empirical data, no proof, other than my own experiences with various digital devices. Its definitely not that big of a deal, unless you share my attention to every meticulous detail in a recording system.
Old 4th August 2009
  #13
Lives for gear
 
ddageek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
I agree with that paper, I have never read, nor heard of.

AES is a far better format than Optical. My college professor will call me nutz, but its been my experience that AES IS better than optical formats. I have no null tests, no white paper references, no empirical data, no proof, other than my own experiences with various digital devices. Its definitely not that big of a deal, unless you share my attention to every meticulous detail in a recording system.
a couple of manufacture explained it to me this way after way too many Beers It might have been New Glarus or Capital, "Technically optical should be better but the fact is nobody in accounting cares so everybody buys these dirt cheap senders and receivers as well as plastic optics and cables instead of glass so yeah it sucks! but heah remember it was Alesis who gave us this standard because 4 AES cables would have taken up too much room and $$$."
AHHH the power of beer
Old 4th August 2009
  #14
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

I ran an RME Digiface for years with zero issues and fantastic low latency. Totalmix is indeed a very nice touch. For ADAT it would likely be the first reach for me also.

War
Old 10th November 2011
  #15
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
I agree with that paper, I have never read, nor heard of.

AES is a far better format than Optical. My college professor will call me nutz, but its been my experience that AES IS better than optical formats. I have no null tests, no white paper references, no empirical data, no proof, other than my own experiences with various digital devices. Its definitely not that big of a deal, unless you share my attention to every meticulous detail in a recording system.

Just curious, if you have no basis of comparison or technical proof AES is better then ADAT, and if it's not a noticeable difference, then how is it better? I'm curious because I'm thinking about basing my system off of the RME Raydat PCIe card.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
cable / Music Computers
5
kevinc / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
licendrivr / So Much Gear, So Little Time
1
tenor39 / Music Computers
1
tenor39 / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump