The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Otari tape slowing down
Old 29th April 2015
Gear Head

Otari tape slowing down

I have a otari mtr90 mkii can anyone help please I have a problem after 15 min of tape play my otari stops playing the right hand silver roller drops as low as it will go and it slows to a stop ???? Is this a simple fix or is my Moter gone bad it's like it can't Handel the load of all the tape on the left spool my tape is good not sticky and no shedding please some help as I have a band to record in 9 hours
Old 30th April 2015
Gear Nut

Does MTR-90 have a "test-mode" for reel or capstan control boards?

MTR-12 has a test-mode switch for reel-control (to measure reel motors torque w/o tape), when it's engaged it has similar symptoms, it "dies" after short time (I've gotten a similar scare that the machine is faulty but then figured to switch it out of the test mode).

It's a completely diffrent model so it's just a thought.
Old 30th April 2015
Gear Head

Hi thanks for the feed back I have no idea if there is a test mode on my deck ? how do you turn test on and of on your deck? thanks
Old 4th May 2015
Gear Nut

There's a recessed "Test" button on Master CPU card on MTR-10/12 models with it's own red/green led ("Run"), not sure if there's one on the MTR-80/90/100 multitrack models, but as told, the symptoms are the same when the test mode is switched on.
Old 5th May 2015
Lives for gear

My money is on the brakes.

I had many"experts" look at my Otari, even drove it up to some official Otari guys in San Fran who checked the motor, logic, all kinds of stuff. They adjusted the crap out of everything that has to do with speed, charged me a bundle, and I had the same prob next session. I finally ran across a dude who checked the brakes.

When it heats up (yeah, 10 or 15 minutes in) they start to grab. Hotter it gets, more they grab until the machine stops dead.

I got a brake tension measuring tool (looks like a fish scale) and kept those suckers tweaked weekly. From then, never had another speed problem.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search