The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
30" (short scale) J bass?
Old 6th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
Did I miss anyone mentioning the Squier Jaguar Bass SS?

When I was shopping for a 30" bass, this got more recommendations than anything else. It is freakin' gorgeous but I think it's Battery Operated.
Yep it has been mentioned. I'm torn between whether or not to get the Jag cheapie and some nice flatwounds or step up to either a Landing custom jazz or Fender Jazz 30" MIJ ... decisions, decisions.

There's also the possibility of the SX 3/4 P bass, being only a couple of hundred too.

I'm still leaning towards the Landing as it's a used sale and at less than half buying a new custom of the same specs ... arghh
Old 6th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderwet View Post
You're welcome. The high-mass bridges are those die cast ones (zinc alloy), that are thicker and heavier than the usual bent metal ones most Fenders come with. The new Modern Player short scale has a high-mass one that looks pretty much like a Leo Quan Badass bridge:

These tend to emphasize the high end in the vibrating strings better, due to the better decoupling from the (wooden) body. These are slight differences though, some people simply prefer them because they feel less flimsy and might be a bit more practical in some circumstances. The saddles move in slots, so it's better protected from getting a setup with overly angled saddles, or the occasional sideways bump and de-tuning, when you play light strings very hard.

Another common hi-mass design is the one that resembles the Gotoh 201:

It's a bit simpler and it has only grooves for the saddle screws, no slots. These are direct replacements for the stock Fender bridges.

The Japanese Jazz you linked has the stock bent steel bridge, which is just an L-shaped piece of sheet metal.

Traditionalists will never want to upgrade it. If you hit one with a hammer, it'll only bend and not break, like the zinc alloy.
Thanks so much for explaining that. Could you tell I had no idea? haha I guess if I wanted twang and presence it would be for slap more than anything. I think if I ever get decent at slap, I'll find something modelled after a MM Stingray, as I love that sound for slap.

Now that I'm no longer worried about the standard bridge on the MIJ SS JB, I can get back to fussing over which of my options is the best for me haha
Old 6th January 2015
Lives for gear

If I had a bass player whose bass said "Badass", I'd pay him less than I paid everyone else.

I do have a bass with a traditional bent metal bridge, but it's thicker metal than Fender issue. It's pretty much perfect -- looks right but adds just a little heft. Not flimsy-looking.
Old 6th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigziglar View Post
You mean an octave down from a guitar, like a piccolo bass? If so, that would indeed be awesome. Obviously not so much as a Rhythm bass in a rock band, but for some funky solo work, it would groove!
A piccolo bass is NOT an octave down from a guitar. A standard bass is an octave down from a guitar.

Standard tuning for a piccolo bass is the same as the lowest 4 strings of a guitar.

Originally a (acoustic) piccolo bass was simply a full sized bass viol strung with lighter strings and tuned up an octave.

It really has nothing to do with scale length.

Piccolo bass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 6th January 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
I do have a bass with a traditional bent metal bridge, but it's thicker metal than Fender issue. It's pretty much perfect -- looks right but adds just a little heft. Not flimsy-looking.
Call me crazy, but whenever I get a Fender-type instrument -- guitar or bass -- with a chunky bridge, I swap it for a stock bent metal Fender. Always makes the instrument more alive. Never fails.
Old 7th January 2015
Lives for gear

So the Landing custom jazz has a through body Hipshot bridge. The MIJ SS Jazz has the classic Fender one. I'm working on finding cheaper shipping for the Landing at the moment. I feel it's a good opportunity. The MIJ SS Jazz will still be available if I get itchy for a real Fender.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

latching onto this thread (please quote so i know you've replied, i don't check this forum)

what i'd like to know, is how to tune a short scale bass in sympathy with a guitar in standard EADGBE so that easy jamming is possible without huge pauses to figure out relative tuning (...)

ie: can i tune in EADG ? - apparently not.

my bass is a cheapo Satellite (i love it dearly, and it didn't cost much in the market). has pretty decent strings on it which i don't propose to change.
neck length? not sure. i'd have to go and measure. pretty much same as a 6 string electric, all told, with body.

i think i was ending up somewhere around B, and wasn't very happy with that.
Bb? not going to help much, for quick intuitive changes.

i could of course use a capo on the guitar...
any thoughts? what is usual practice?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever17 View Post
latching onto this thread (please quote so i know you've replied, i don't check this forum)

what i'd like to know, is how to tune a short scale bass in sympathy with a guitar in standard EADGBE so that easy jamming is possible without huge pauses to figure out relative tuning (...)

ie: can i tune in EADG ? - apparently not.

my bass is a cheapo Satellite (i love it dearly, and it didn't cost much in the market). has pretty decent strings on it which i don't propose to change.
neck length? not sure. i'd have to go and measure. pretty much same as a 6 string electric, all told, with body.

i think i was ending up somewhere around B, and wasn't very happy with that.
Bb? not going to help much, for quick intuitive changes.

i could of course use a capo on the guitar...
any thoughts? what is usual practice?
I've had a number of short basses, and always tuned them to good old EADG. Had a few Gibson SG style basses, and currently I have a Lakeland HB30. Never a problem tuning to standard. Might be your bass?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
I've had a number of short basses, and always tuned them to good old EADG. Had a few Gibson SG style basses, and currently I have a Lakeland HB30. Never a problem tuning to standard. Might be your bass?
i'll go and fetch it later today and have a try. it was problematic last time i tried. maybe the strings are wrong, or stretched to something else. -?-
'later.
Old 3 weeks ago
Short scale basses tune to EADG, just like full scale basses. You might want a slightly heavier string set.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Short scale basses tune to EADG, just like full scale basses. You might want a slightly heavier string set.
I had a couple old Silvertone/Dano short-scales where a heavy E string wouldn't fit through the tuner hole.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I had a couple old Silvertone/Dano short-scales where a heavy E string wouldn't fit through the tuner hole.
The old Dano basses were a problem on a couple of counts - they generally couldn't take ANY normally available strings because the tuners were normal guitar tuner and could not accept standard strings; they were made to use Dano strings which were not redily available in most places. Most bass players dealt with it by stripping the windings off the end of the string, but this could sometimes result in the windings becoming loose.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Yeah. Try the sets for Fender VI bass. Alternatively heaviest baritone set you can find or an 8-string set
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Stanley Clark did ok with a short scale bass from Alembic. DR strings on it.

Good music to all!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback View Post
Stanley Clark did ok with a short scale bass from Alembic. DR strings on it.

Good music to all!
Yeap. But the tuners and the bridge could take "heavy wire"
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
Yeap. But the tuners and the bridge could take "heavy wire"
I think those old Danos were the one anomaly in short-scale basses. Bad design.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think those old Danos were the one anomaly in short-scale basses. Bad design.
But interesting sound. I opened the low tuners on one of mine and it now takes almost .08 string on the low B. Pretty much doubles as a 6-string short-scale bass. Its boomy but we manage to make it work. Interesting they use the same neck as on their bass, just drilled for 6 strings. Dano people recommend tuning it to A with those heavy strings.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
But interesting sound. I opened the low tuners on one of mine and it now takes almost .08 string on the low B. Pretty much doubles as a 6-string short-scale bass. Its boomy but we manage to make it work. Interesting they use the same neck as on their bass, just drilled for 6 strings. Dano people recommend tuning it to A with those heavy strings.
Yes, they are a great alternative tone. I had a vintage shortscale longhorn for a while, and it had a very unique sound that was easy to fit in a mix. Standard tuning, but super light strings. I don't know if they've adapted the re-issue Longhorns for bigger gauge strings.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, they are a great alternative tone. I had a vintage shortscale longhorn for a while, and it had a very unique sound that was easy to fit in a mix. Standard tuning, but super light strings. I don't know if they've adapted the re-issue Longhorns for bigger gauge strings.
I know their standard 4-stringer can take bigger gauge. I was considering installing those tuners on the 6-stringer. Don't remember why i didn't - probably didn't want to spend too much on a very cheap instrument

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search