The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
what amp did leslie west use
Old 25th November 2006
Gear Head

what amp did leslie west use

i have got a new live mountian cd and was wondering what amp he was using

orange?
laney?

tom
Old 26th November 2006
Lives for gear

Depends on the year, but mostly 100 watt Marshall and Sunn amps. Typical 4x12 cabs...mostly Marshall. In the mid to late 70s he was using some brand that escapes me now, but went back to Marshall heads and cabs and I think is still using them.

Those late 60s Sunn heads are the absolute best value in vintage amps. They're KILLER and dirt cheap. Way, way, overbuilt and sound amazing. The only trouble with them is that they were so expensive when new that primarily only pro players used them. So there are not many out there in decent shape.

later,

m
Old 26th November 2006
Gear Addict

First concert I ever saw... in a college gymnasium in '69.

Sunn Coliseum heads
Old 27th November 2006
Gear Nut

Leslie endorsed Stramp at some point. I owned one for a bit in the 80s, and could not see how he got his sound out of it - it sounded more like a HiWatt than a Marshall, too clean unless cranked. And wow, loud, so loud.

That said, I wish I had it today.

Matt
Old 27th November 2006
Lives for gear

That's the one I couldn't remember the name. You know....Ampeg VT series and Sunn amps get the same things said about them sometimes. You just definitely have to crank them all to get their sound. But then again, in the hands of a good guitarist, they'll crank all their amps and use the contols on the guitar. Leslie is a master at this.

m
Old 27th November 2006
Lives for gear
I think he used Sunn too sometimes. He is one of my all time favorites. What a player.
Old 27th November 2006
Lives for gear

Fender ressurected Sunn amps for about three minutes. There may be some Model T's floating around, but I don't know how they compare to the original T's.

http://sunnamps.com/

If you see a Sunn Beta amplifier and you're tempted, you should slowly turn the other way until the amplifier is out of your field of vision and then RUN LIKE HELL.
Old 27th November 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, the solid state Sunn stuff is terrible. Look for the late 60s stuff. The S200, Sonoro, Spectrum I and II....those sorts...the ones with the slanted front piece. They're amazing amps. Point to point, hand-wired...blah, blah, blah.....great amps. A lot of them are built on old Dynaco power amp parts. Huge tranny's, etc. There's a website that goes in depth on them. You can find it by googling "sunn shack". That should find it. A great read on a really cool american made amp that for a short period of time rivaled Marshall and the others.

The original Model T amps are really their answer to the SVT from Ampeg. The Fender era reissues are nice but really way too loud for most settings...just like the originals. They do sound nice though.....

m

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search