The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Dynacomp...who uses one and why?
Old 22nd November 2006
Lives for gear
Dynacomp...who uses one and why?

I have a nice clean setup...Tele into Blues Jr. with a TS9 for boost, a phase 90 and a memory man.

I have heard some guys ouyt playing with the same rig as mine. I notice their tele tone is more "shimmery" and small (in a focused way), but it sits in a mix perfect, and is VERY clear. I am wondering if they are using a dynacomp pedal for this effect?

I know its a classic, and all that, but id like to hear from some users of this pedal and see what they think and how they utilize it.
Old 22nd November 2006
500 series nutjob

see if you can find a shop that will let you try a Carl Martin comp.
the Dynacomp can easily have to much sag and can pump to much for me.
it is just what many folks want: )
sometimes the Dynacomp is just what i want but 90% of the time it's the Carl Martin.
Old 23rd November 2006
Lives for gear

I've got a Carl Martin Compressor I'm considering selling, pm if interested.
Old 23rd November 2006
Lives for gear

I use a Dyna Comp and love it. I work it more as a kind of gain staging device than leveler though. I keep the sensitivity low and output high -- essentially so the two knobs are just about pointing at other (cross-eyed, if you will). Gives a nice sustain without too much squash. I usually back off my guitar volume a little to alleviate over-hot pickup-itis. And I always use it first-in-chain.

Honestly, given how little it costs, pick one up. Can't lose really.
Old 23rd November 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispick View Post
Honestly, given how little it costs, pick one up. Can't lose really.
very true, and you can never have enough guitar gear ; )
Old 23rd November 2006
I often record electric guitars with the amp volume on the low side, but with a dynacomp pushing a batch o' ass on the front end. Threshold is usually around 9 -11:30 and the output sits around 1 to 2:00. Too much compression with this pedal can really squash the crap out of your tone; whether that's a good thing or not depends what you want... also the dynacomp is heavily dependant on the guitar/pickups, i.e. i like the super squash sound wth P90s more than humbuckers (generally).
Ben
Old 23rd November 2006
Lives for gear

I also use a dyna comp. It's just got a vibe to it. I'm sure there are cleaner more controllable pedals . . . I just dig the sound, and I don;t need anythnig more.

I heard a clip of the T-Rex comp nova, pretty impresive. I just got their mudhoney and the sound is killer and VERY warm and I've never said that from a distortion pedal before. . .
Old 23rd November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
very true, and you can never have enough guitar gear ; )

Yeah, and it can result in a notable improvement in tone, I think. Like I said, I love mine. Great ROI. You just have to think "high-output-to-low-sensitivity" when using it.

I haven't tried the Carl martin, but I'm curious now.

You know, if it's shimmery tone you're looking for, maybe check out the JangleBox:

http://www.janglebox.com/janglebox_about.htm
Old 23rd November 2006
Gear Maniac

I also use Dynacomp early 70's script model which I think is the best model of them. There is not a big difference but this is just my opinion.

aapee
Old 24th November 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
There actually IS a big difference in the newer (Dunlop) Dynacomps. They just don't have the mojo.
Hey, I just tried to be diplomatic

aapee
Old 24th November 2006

heh Are Finns more diplomatic than Brits?

My Dunlop Dynacomp is just too noisy/grungy, and the output make-up is too low... Other than that, its great

Apparently there is a Keeley mod to get you back to "script logo" spec.

Actually, the Keeley comp is the one peeps rave about. It does sound very nice. based on a Ross design I believe.
Old 26th November 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
heh Are Finns more diplomatic than Brits?
heh It seemes so! heh Your monkey pisses over Shakespeare!

"I am going to exagerate a lot my opinion to make it easy for you guys to understand it, OK ? Please see below.

dfegad Shakespeare" --- Originally Posted by byk "

aapee
Old 26th November 2006
Lives for gear

have tried a bunch of gtr comps over the years and always prefer dynacomps -- use a late 70's dynacomp as a standard part of my sound with a tele -- it's always on at about 3 o'clock and 9 -- fattens just right, jangles just right, fills up the amp just right -- old ones are definitely better than the new reissues, no question...
Old 27th November 2006
Lives for gear
nice..thanks guys. I have one coming in the mail this week.

Old 27th November 2006
Lives for gear

Carl Martin's comp is excellent! You can get SO many different sounds out of it. Dynacomp is not as versatile IMHO.
Old 27th November 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protools Guy View Post
Carl Martin's comp is excellent! You can get SO many different sounds out of it. Dynacomp is not as versatile IMHO.
dido
i do not think i have dug out a dynacomp, ( and i have a couple ) i so long it is unreal.
the carl martin has been hands down the one!
i would urge you to give one a listen.
Old 5th December 2006
Gear Maniac

Analogman's BiComp is the BEST...

...if you want the compressor sound somewhat colored, like the DynaComp. I had (or actually, still have; as a spare) a DynaComp, but I prefered the way the ROSS side of the BiComp is the same color as the DynaComp, but much more open, musical and less pumping (of course, you CAN make it pump, if that's what you want it to). And the Orange Squeezer is gritty, dirty and twangy - think early Knopfler, JJ Cale and Lynyrd Skynyrd.
I chose this one over Carl Martin and T-Rex, even though it was way more expensive here in Denmark, where Carl Martin and T-Rex are produced.
BTW, the Dynacomp was AFAIK a clone of the ROSS compressor, but with cheaper components. The Dynacomp degraded further during the years like many other stompboxes and incorporated cheaper and cheaper pots, switches and so on, so there is a certain difference between the old and the newer Dynacomps. Both the compROSSor side of Analogman's BiComp and Keeley's compressor are clones of the early ROSS comps, with good and durable components.
Anyway, if you don't want color from your compressor, the Carl Martin is probably a better choice. But I figured you didn't when you said you dug the DynaComp.
If you have already got the DynaComp, and you find that it pumps too much, I can only recommend the Keeley mod, if it brings it up to the Keeley Comp specs. I tried the Keeley, and find little, if any, difference between the Keeley and the ROSS side of the BiComp.
Old 5th December 2006
Lives for gear

One great thing about the BiComprossor is the ability to set the attack with a dedicated knob. This is great for subtle use which is what I do live. I also use it as a second gain stage for distortion or overdrive pedals like my AnalogMan-modded Boss DS-1, another great sounding pedal by Analog Mike.

I had a Dunlop Dynacomp a few years ago and it was practically unusable and very unstable sounding. The BiComprossor is great for recording, in fact I used it quite a bit for direct Tele and 12-String sounds. Totally worth the money and the wait. (I waited almost a full year for mine).
Old 5th December 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
I had a Dunlop Dynacomp a few years ago and it was practically unusable and very unstable sounding.
Old 5th December 2006
Lives for gear
Well, I got my dynacomp and im going to track with it tonight. My settings I like are pretty much what you guys are saying. Sensitivity at around 11 o clock and output at 2ish.

It is not pumping too much at all. It really just fattens up the tone and does make a difference. I think it should help my part sit in the mix better..im playing a single string melody with a memory man delaying it and some good ol Fender Reverb.
Old 5th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
Well, I got my dynacomp and im going to track with it tonight. My settings I like are pretty much what you guys are saying. Sensitivity at around 11 o clock and output at 2ish.

It is not pumping too much at all. It really just fattens up the tone and does make a difference. I think it should help my part sit in the mix better..im playing a single string melody with a memory man delaying it and some good ol Fender Reverb.
Sounds cool. Glad you're digging the purchase.
Old 5th December 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post

cool !
i love getting new gear in, makes my day: )

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search