The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
John Entwhistle
Old 20th November 2006
Lives for gear

John Entwhistle

I saw this posted over at RecForums.

This is a live Who show. The audio is Entwhistle's bass soloed (gated, I'm sure!)

Thought you guys who don't frequent Rec might dig on it.

I'd like to know about Entwhistle's sound earlier on, like Happy Jack/The Kids are Allright era, in case anyone knows. I know he used a Danelectro sometimes. But what amp?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfDE-ZvfOwU
Old 20th November 2006
Gear Maniac

Nice Vid. OK you made me pull out an old interview I had.
- Danelectro basses but he recalled recording My generation on a Fender Jazz.
- Labella strings until he went to the Rotosound factory and they've been advertising that ever since.
- Marshall amps.

Noel Redding copied his exact setup when he joined the Experience because he was a guitar player and asked John for advice.
Old 20th November 2006
Lives for gear
Marshall (with 4x12's)

then Hiwatts, with 4x12's and 4x15

the Sunn Coliseum Bass with an assortment of large cabs.

my favourite era, is the sound of the Tommy tour (including Live At Leeds) which was Hiwatts with the "Frankenstein" P bass that he put together from a 50's contoured body, with the pickup and maple fingerboard neck from a 65 Slab P.
He said he thought the Slab bass pickups were somehow growlier and ballsier.

His Status Graphite model (the Buzzard) sounds awfully good (although ugly for anyone other than him!).. but now that they're so rare (Status can't make anymore) they're a fortune.
Old 20th November 2006
Lives for gear

for those into the ox, i recommend that you buy the book entitled Bass Culture. it contains the entire Entwistle instrument collection. it's beautifully photographed with comments by john himself for most of the instruments. also includes his amps, guitars, etc. - i bought it last year and refer to it often when i want to remind myself that collecting lots of gear is ok
p.s. - i'm not in any way connected to this book - just thought i would pass along the info...
Old 20th November 2006
Lives for gear

Thankyou for posting that, Max.

A fascinating glimpse of a great player at the top of his form!

As regards amps I believe Entwistle went from Marshall to Sound City in 1967, then to HiWatt amps around 1969 from which he moved to Sunn amps and then much later he moved to Ashdown. So for The Kids and Happy Jack it would still have been Marshalls.

FWIW, the rig we see behind him in this particular vid are from his Sunn period.
Attached Images
John Entwhistle-sunnlogo.gif 
Old 20th November 2006
Asolutely amazing!

Made my day..

He was the BEST!
Old 20th November 2006
Lives for gear

He actually "designed" the roto 66 strings (his goal was to get a brighter, more guitar-like tone hence the roundwound design and the pure steel instead of a steel core/nickel coating.
Old 20th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by baikonour View Post
He actually "designed" the roto 66 strings (his goal was to get a brighter, more guitar-like tone hence the roundwound design and the pure steel instead of a steel core/nickel coating.
At some point there were strings where only the core passed over the bridge, no?
Old 20th November 2006

There were some strings called Elites which had that feature. I think they still make 'em.
Old 20th November 2006
Lives for gear

cool video!thumbsup
Old 20th November 2006
Gear Addict

great vid

a true master at work
Old 20th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
At some point there were strings where only the core passed over the bridge, no?
Yeah, they are still made by rotosound, they are sometimes refered as piano strings design...I haven't tried them though. There's also a "pressure wound" design: between flats and round.(rotosound again)
Old 22nd November 2006
Gear Nut

That bass looks and sounds like an Alembic to me.
Old 23rd November 2006
Gear Guru

great stuff...
You can find all that stuff on the bonus material section on the reissue of the "Kids are Alright" on DVD..
Totally digitally restored..a must have!
also you can click on various camera angles to isolate a particular playerthumbsup
Old 23rd November 2006
Lives for gear

Heck, Michael Wagener designed Entwistle's rig, why
not ask him?heh
Old 23rd November 2006
Lives for gear
WHICH rig?

as I said, the best sounding one by far (to me) was the Hiwatts used in bi or tri amp style.

the WORST was the Ashdown/Trace atrocity he was using towards the end.
Old 23rd November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
WHICH rig?

as I said, the best sounding one by far (to me) was the Hiwatts used in bi or tri amp style.

the WORST was the Ashdown/Trace atrocity he was using towards the end.
His early rigs as far as I know.
When they sounded GREAT.

(Watching the Who DVD "The Vegas Job"
right now)
Old 24th November 2006
Lives for gear

To make y'all jealous, I watched this performance (not the solo'd one) on VCR with John in his living room in '96 with his 'live' coverage and commentary. Quite a blast and a very dear memory to me now.

I had the privilege and knowing John and working at his home studio between '95 and '99.

The bass on the video was still at his house (along with about 2 gezillion other gtrs and basses...) when I was there.
I know he really liked the Status Buzzards he had too.

He had some of the original HiWatt 'The Ox' rigs still there too, and they sounded fantastic. I would say these were at the root of what he considered to be 'his sound'.

Towards the end he was using Sansamp PSA1's, Trace Elliott(then Ashdown) power amps and cabs. He had the full rig set up at the house before the Quadrophenia tour and I had a play through it with him. It wasn't very loud for the size (10 cabs, 4x10's and 1x15's)

Regarding the Danelectro's, he told me that he had 3 Longhorns at the My Generation session and that for 3 takes on the run he snapped strings on the solo.
He told me that he could not get replacement strings and had to use a Jazz bass which bugged him because he believed he had a much more intricate and impressive version of the solo worked out on the Danelectro that he could not pull off on the Jazz.
He then played to me, on an acoustic bass he had behind the bar in his house, the solo he played on the record and then the type of thing he was aiming for on the Danelectros, t'was very cool.

John is also the only guy I have ever known fall asleep whilst stood up and not spill his brandy.
Old 25th November 2006
Lives for gear

Amazing stuff, Carl.

Where else can you get this kinda info?
Old 25th November 2006
Gear Head

My wife and I saw John with his own band at a small venue in the mid-nineties. The word she used to describe his bass playing was "dazzling" which I thought was a great adjective. We were fortunate enough to be invited to hang with John and the band in his suite after the show. He was certainly a very charming and funny guy and like all of his friends and fans I still miss him terribly. I found Messiah's previous post absolutely fascinating. The solo in My Generation singlehandedly changed the perception of the role of the bass guitar in rock music and yet he was clearly dissatisfied with the recorded version. It's ironic that he felt such a monumental part was not executed well enough. Now that's a musician. All the best!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search