The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Amps. Decisions, decisions....
Old 20th November 2006
Gear Addict

Amps. Decisions, decisions....

Hi guys,

I'm trying to decide on what amp setup to get and need some help in the decision as I'm just going around in circles and can't sleep at night! Please disregard my other thread on getting an AC/DC tone, I'm looking for much more now (that was an old thread)

I'm after a versatile setup that'll let me get all types of tones from fender to marshall and beyond. I've used an ADA MP-1 for the last 15 years and it's time for a change.

I've got a loan of a Randall RM4 and RT2/50 Preamp and poweramp that I'm trying out with a view to buy it iff I like it. (Tweed, plexi, SL+ and Ultra modules with it)
So far, In the roadcase it's in, it's too damn heavy and too loud to record at home, but it does sound good.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a bunch of different amps instead of getting one that tries to do it all. I see the odd Fender bassman head on ebay and was thinking that could take care of the clean to blues sounds (with a hotplate) and maybe some pedals for heavier sounds.

I played a peavey classic 30 the other while I was audition a Bad Cat "mini cat" and thought the Peavey sounded better, so maybe one of those could fill the clean to blues hole and I could run my ADA in the fx return of it and run it into a 4x12 for heavier sounds. I've always used my ADA with a solid state power amp, maybe the EL84's would bring the spice I'm looking for.

Also thinking a lighter, more versatile version of the Randall set up would be to get a used Mesa 20/20 power amp and an Egnater M4 pre with the modules of my choice, possibly Tweed, top boost, plexi and Recto

I really don't know, any thoughts on any of the setups mentioned here would be much appreciated

Cheers,

Rick
Old 21st November 2006
Gear Nut

He he he he he he.....

Just buy the RM4 rig already .....................

just kidding mate.......
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search