The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Time to get a new guitar amp ! Suggestions ?
Old 22nd November 2006
Well amongst others I have an AC30 cc head also, which sounds great. I also recently
picked up a Randall MTS 100 head which also sounds great, the XTC module is real nice. The AC30 cc has gotten a bad rap but I havent found any of the issues, maybe it's combo related
Old 26th November 2006
Lives for gear

I checked out the "Two Rock"a few days ago...indeed very pricey. The dealer here in Miami wanted 6k for a 30w sig. I loved the tone on it but at that price I truly have to think about it.

I am a GS but I'm not that crazy...

I really only want to spend no more than 2k. I'm gonna try and get my hands on a Stiletto, I've heard good things. Or settle for the new AC30cc...I'm just not sure at the moment.
Old 26th November 2006
Gear Head

another vote for bad cat hot cat 30r the clean and dist. mode great for recording puts my tremoverb to shame
i now want to trade the boogie for something for the metal sound --boogie is not bad but after owning a bad cat I know some one makes something that will smoke the boogie

tom
Old 27th November 2006
Lives for gear

The search continues...

I just got back from GC and all I could do is try whatever they have on the floor. I tried 3 production amps this time.

1) Fender "Bassman '59 Reissue"
2) Marshall JCM-2000 half stack
3) Vox AC30cc

In reverse order:

The Marshall sounded decent on overdrive and crunch mode but a bit thin on the clean channel. Since I do a lot with chorus and flangers, clean delays etc. this wouldn't work.

The Vox sounded pretty nice once it warmed up and at louder volumes but left me wanting something more. A bit too sterile for me, but a possible contender.

The Fender Bassman was the best on the clean channel. As pristine and full a sound as you can get. I didn't try this with any pedals but I loved the clean channel and the warm tone. Although, a bit too close to my Twin in sound (actually a little better) and I'm looking for a different flavor.

I played a bit with the Mesa Lonestar Special to confirm and I liked it again but noticed that the clean channel wasn't as clean as the Bassman. It has a little more grit on it but still nice.

That's about it for my high production choices. Now I have to get my ears and hands on a Bad Cat, Framus, Engl etc...But I can't spend that kind of money from a mp3 file on their website. I'm going to have to locate the dealers and spend some road time.

If there's an easier way, let me know. How did you guys arrive at the decision with those boutique amps ? They're not easy to get to...
Old 27th November 2006
Lives for gear

OK...two thousand to spend and you want something to compliment and differ from your Fender Twin? I'd definitely check out some smaller amps. Not sure if you need the larger ones, but some that I'd check out are:

1. Orange AD15 or 30 (if you can find them, they are the best possible combination of Vox and Marshall. I have the 15 and I can't say enough good things about it. I've got a roomfull of great amps...vintage Ampeg, blackface bassman, JCM800, JTM45, etc.....The Orange generally wins in the studio. They're discontinued, but you can find them used.

2. Vox AC15 or 30 if you must. As has been stated, the new ones aren't in the same league as the vintage, but nice. Price is great on them.

3. Marshall JCM800 combo amp. 4100 or so....I have one and love it.

4. Any number of smaller amps like BadCat or others, but they're going to take all your cash.

See, if it were me, I'd grab the Orange or AC15 for about $500 ea. Then look for another like a little Marshall combo. You could get both and only be out about $1200. Spend the other $800 on another or something else. Why put it into one amp? There are so many great, cheap, amps out there.....late 60s Sunn, Ampeg, small Valco made stuff....the list is endless.

Here's a few of my little amps:

m

Last edited by chetatkinsdiet; 27th November 2006 at 03:31 AM.. Reason: adding more info.
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

I'm still searching and debating but...

Lately, my recordings with my Twin thru a MP-2NV > Rosetta have actually been too warm or even a little muddy. Too much low mids and not enough clarity.

I'm leaning more in the direction of a really clean amp, for recording purposes. If I want any FX, I can add later.

So what amps are out there with good tone and with a super clean channel under 2k...?
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsongs View Post
I'm still searching and debating but...

Lately, my recordings with my Twin thru a MP-2NV > Rosetta have actually been too warm or even a little muddy. Too much low mids and not enough clarity.
Any thought to trying a different mic. There's a lot of variety in the under $500 segment. Perhaps a "bright" mic to contrast the darkness you hear in your rig? Also, how are you running the MP2NV? That could have something to do with the tonal outcome as well.
Old 2nd December 2006
I don't think you can find one at guitar center, but try to check out the randall MTS amps. They make a 50 watt combo. Lots of great useful tones, and when you want a different sound plug in some different modules. The only down side is they are ungodly heavy
Old 2nd December 2006
Gear Maniac
I highly reccommend the Fuchs Lucky 7. I recently went to a high end boutique guitar store, Wild West Guitars in California, and spent several hours playing through everything they had, in a room by myself. There were several outstanding sounding amps, but the Fuchs Lucky 7 just had a little something special on both clean and dirty settings, but the topper was that at full gain settings, when the amp is just sitting there idle, it had just a slight hum coming out of it, everything else would require raising your voice to have a conversation...this sold it for me...fantastic recording amp, for well under $1500.00.

Rob
Old 2nd December 2006
Gear Maniac
Here are a few samples of the Lucky 7 if you're interested....

This one is a clean sound ,a pop tune.....Show Me Your Love

http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/view...?trackid=49831

This one is a country thing.....She's So Lucky

http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/view...?trackid=45024

And this last one is a rock thing, the solo has a fulltone OCD pedal on it for the solo..Slow And Steady

http://www.songramp.com/mod/mps/view...?trackid=51622

Rob

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search