The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Portlandia strikes again...
Old 7th August 2014
Talking Portlandia strikes again...

We've all met this guy.

Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Ok, its undeniably extremely funny - but it has amplified ten fold my ongoing crush on Ann Clark, which I could have done without…
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Portlandia recording studio

Old 7th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post

haha!

I have my Solo6's and Mixcubes set up exactly like in the video.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear
I am thinking that second clip may hit home a little too hard for most GSer's.
Included.

David
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
haha!

I have my Solo6's and Mixcubes set up exactly like in the video.
I would surmise then that you know what you're doing! (Given the fact both stars of Portlandia are musicians and play in bands).

I love that show. I've lived in Portland and the Portland metro area for 50 years and even though the show is an exaggeration, it is an incredibly accurate representation of the area.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would surmise then that you know what you're doing! (Given the fact both stars of Portlandia are musicians and play in bands).

I love that show. I've lived in Portland and the Portland metro area for 50 years and even though the show is an exaggeration, it is an incredibly accurate representation of the area.
From an outsiders point of view, first I don't watch TV, I don't have Any kind of antenna or cable hook up don't want one, what passes as entertainment on it is of no interest to me. Never seen Portlandia. Moved to Vacouver, Wa just across the River about four and a half years ago I don't understand it's a whole different world, the media fixation with the word "Hipsters" doesn't fit they were the Beat Poets and such in the Fifties and early sixties and where intellectual, intelligent, educated This is more like a post apocryphal mad max world with out the physical decay and destruction and just the social break down and degeneration. These people have no standard, nothing grounding them, no absolutes. Trying to interact with them is difficult at best, they are so disaffected and apathetic, politically naive and immature. Passive aggressive behavior is the norm (Verus NJ's just plane aggressive behavior) they can't be trusted, and make up the rules as they go to suit their whim. They are truly the lost generation. No offense meant, just the way I see it compared to NJ. Maybe in my absence that's whats happened in NJ too, I don't know.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

I hate every single inch of stump town.
The show is arguably much more amusing then the actual town.

I cant think of one thing I liked about the town other then it was a skip and a jump to Seattle and Eugene.

Kind of like half way to no where but living in hell?
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allphourus View Post
From an outsiders point of view, first I don't watch TV, I don't have Any kind of antenna or cable hook up don't want one, what passes as entertainment on it is of no interest to me. Never seen Portlandia. Moved to Vacouver, Wa just across the River about four and a half years ago I don't understand it's a whole different world, the media fixation with the word "Hipsters" doesn't fit they were the Beat Poets and such in the Fifties and early sixties and where intellectual, intelligent, educated This is more like a post apocryphal mad max world with out the physical decay and destruction and just the social break down and degeneration. These people have no standard, nothing grounding them, no absolutes. Trying to interact with them is difficult at best, they are so disaffected and apathetic, politically naive and immature. Passive aggressive behavior is the norm (Verus NJ's just plane aggressive behavior) they can't be trusted, and make up the rules as they go to suit their whim. They are truly the lost generation. No offense meant, just the way I see it compared to NJ. Maybe in my absence that's whats happened in NJ too, I don't know.
No offense taken. I used to live two blocks off the heart of Hawthorne (for those unfamiliar with Portland, Hawthorne is one of the hipster areas.) I worked on Belmont for a stretch of time (heavy Portlandia fodder) and most recently again worked near the heart of Hawthorne for a period of ten years. Working in television I got the full brunt of heavy duty Portland which includes all the personalities of the area - and none of it ever bugged me. Maybe it's because I grew up in the true hippy era. I don't judge. And none of the crazed Portland hipsters have ever looked at me sideways. My experience is everything is cool. But again I don't judge and I don't expect people to give me anything and so a place like Portland from my perspective is a good thing.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

I got sold BUNK Blotter ACID on the train in stump town,
All 4 of us ended up the kitchen department of Sears down town and the knives all started to fly out of the
displays.

PS: in the spirit of the Portlandia show that im about to watch,
I also hate the next person that reply's to this thread.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- View Post
I got sold BUNK Blotter ACID on the train in stump town,
All 4 of us ended up the kitchen department of Sears down town and the knives all started to fly out of the
displays.

PS: in the spirit of the Portlandia show that im about to watch,
I also hate the next person that reply's to this thread.
Give us a rundown on the episode you watched.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

the actors drive to LA and cant figure out what the bright sun is, they go to find some bar tender. at one point they do the cross dresser bit women book store and talk about vagina covers.
Old 8th August 2014
they are always spot on!
Old 8th August 2014
Those videos were great!
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- View Post
the actors drive to LA and cant figure out what the bright sun is, they go to find some bar tender. at one point they do the cross dresser bit women book store and talk about vagina covers.
The bartender in that one (Andy Samberg) does a good job. Actually, the guest stars are always good which is probably a testament to Jonathan Krisel the director.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sweet, I used to live in Belmont and drink at Beulahland. I haven't really watched this show but my buddy does sound for it. They need to change the title to Yuplandia...most of the hipsters are gone (welcome to SF part deux).

Do people really set up their mixcubes like that?
Old 9th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by allphourus View Post
Geesh, who brought Mr. serious- pants? Way to harsh a thread about humor.
Old 10th August 2014
Gear Guru

I loved Portland when I visited about 6 years ago. Reminded me a bit of cities in the east such as Asheville, Athens or even Durham.
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

I moved here about 4 1/2 months ago and am loving it. I had worked an event here years ago and had such a good time and vibe from the place that I vowed to emigrate someday. Part of the sales pitch to my girlfriend included Portlandia and it soon became one of our favorite shows.
I always kept an eye on craigslist from afar and answered an ad that turned into my current position. The only way I could have done the move is with a job in hand (the way it worked out). The best hotel deal was in Vancouver, WA, across the Columbia river. As it turned out the same held true for apartment rentals, so that's where I got a place. Fortunately my job in Portland is near the south shore of the Columbia, so my commute is easy.
Since this is exactly where I want to be at this point in my life it is interesting to hear of people with the opposite viewpoint. I respect their experiences but don't let it harsh my buzz.
Plus now I live way closer to Larry Crane!
Old 13th August 2014
Lives for gear
FredEx!

Not having a TV, Sat, cable makes me ponder with the death of newspapers, magazines and sources how does one have any idea of what is going on in the world? Right Wing radio conspiracy nut programs?
There are many fantastic things to experience as well as a load of crap not worth watching, I get that. But I do like to keep track of what is going on the country and world. Ignorance merely sets one up to be manipulated and lied to but if you live in Canada what does anything matter. Personally I love comedy and anything that makes me laugh in this ever degrading world is a treat for me.

Also very educational, 00:45 how Beethoven went deaf
and the plight of those trying to compose music around the house
monty python how Beethoven went deaf
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

This is excellent and a bit too true for some of us.

BTW I was in Portland briefly some years ago and loved it - nice friendly city with lots of arty people - a sort of American Berlin. Like Berlin it must have changed in the last few years...
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

whaaaaa
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search