The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bass - keyboard amp recommendations?
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Addict

Bass - keyboard amp recommendations?

As my studio space is now finished and i am in process of getting my amplification organized (I lived in condo for years, played everything thru monitors or headphones). With being able to play my acoustic drums at home (i've been a drummer for 36 + years), I would like to find a decent bass guitar amp. I mainly record bass DI. mostly to have something for when people come over to play. Some options I am looking at

1. I remember years ago makers selling Keyboard Bass amps. This is a possibility since I'm getting a Motif keyboard. I could kill 2 birds with one stone and not taking up the room

2. Old bass amps on craigslist are going cheap. I saw an old Yamaha head and cap in great working order for $200. This is an option

Opinions/advice/
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

If the Yamaha is a BBT-series Bass amp and cab, go for it! They had some problems with the amps (hiss if I remember correctly), but the cabs alone are incredible good. Still use two BBT 1x10 cabs with my Markbass amp. Among the best bass speakers I'ver ever heard.

Otherwise it's hard to recommend something. You don't write anything about the price class.
Most bass amps are quite neutral and most bass speaker cabinets have a tweeter. So no matter what the amp says, you can use it as a keyboard amp, too.

Dirk
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

small - peavey delta blues with 1x15
large - fender bassman with 8x10
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

Peavey KB-300 was a hugely popular keyboard combo in the late 80s and early 90s that could handle bass and electro/acoustic instruments. It had 4 inputs each w/ 3 band EQ and reverb. It had a large PA style horn driver for the high, where most bass amps only have a smaller high end driver.

They go for around $75-$300 depending on condition.
Old 13th August 2014
Gear Addict

My bass player also started playing keys when our violinist left (and left hands bass parts).

He wasn't happy with the sound of the Ampeg amp he had for the keys and we just went around to 5 guitar shops with his synth and tested bass amps.

The front runners for getting nice fairly full range sound were:
Gallien-Kruger's MB line &
TC Electronic's amp with the Toneprint

And with EQs on the pedal board separately for bass and synth, the GK 1x15 is working our great.
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Peavey KB-300 was a hugely popular keyboard combo in the late 80s and early 90s that could handle bass and electro/acoustic instruments. It had 4 inputs each w/ 3 band EQ and reverb. It had a large PA style horn driver for the high, where most bass amps only have a smaller high end driver.

They go for around $75-$300 depending on condition.
+1 on this. Our keyboard player had one, and for a gig our bass player plugged into it and both sounded fine. They're also indestructible.

I found an Ampeg SVT 2x10 cab on CL for $175; if you already have guitar amp heads, you can drive a bass cab with it. I use my Showman as a bass amp and for recording, it's fine; I've also recorded bass through my 2x12 Bandmaster.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search