The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland GP 8 Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 7th August 2014
Here for the gear

Roland GP 8

ok so i'm new to the forum and new to playing instruments. lol.
i've been looking online and became interested in the Roland GP8 effects processor. i know its vintage but i like it. Does anybody know where i can find one to buy? ebay has a few but the foot controller isnt included.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

The FC-100 was sold separately, and is just a basic MIDI foot pedal. Any MIDI foot pedal will work.

I had a GP8 back in the 80's. It was a fun unit. I ended up replacing mine around '93 with an SE-70, which I thought had better sounding distortion and more FX. It's also smaller, and I could velcro it right to the top of my amp.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
The FC-100 was sold separately, and is just a basic MIDI foot pedal. Any MIDI foot pedal will work.

I had a GP8 back in the 80's. It was a fun unit. I ended up replacing mine around '93 with an SE-70, which I thought had better sounding distortion and more FX. It's also smaller, and I could velcro it right to the top of my amp.
I don't think that's right. It uses an FC-100 pedal which is not a standard MIDI plug/jack as far as I am aware. It's a special configuration DIN plug of some kind with a different number of pins.

Those footpedals come up on eBay all the time. The hard part is getting the FC-100 cable to connect it to the GP-8.

I bought mine new in the late 80's and still use it. Paid 1500 for GP8, FC100 and Expression Pedal here in Canada.

It still sounds good and is a lot easier to program than some of the newer stuff.

If it ever dies I'll probably buy the ME80 or GP100 or whatever the latest model is as I like Boss stuff.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ido1957 View Post
I don't think that's right. It uses an FC-100 pedal which is not a standard MIDI plug/jack as far as I am aware. It's a special configuration DIN plug of some kind with a different number of pins.

Those footpedals come up on eBay all the time. The hard part is getting the FC-100 cable to connect it to the GP-8.

I bought mine new in the late 80's and still use it. Paid 1500 for GP8, FC100 and Expression Pedal here in Canada.

It still sounds good and is a lot easier to program than some of the newer stuff.

If it ever dies I'll probably buy the ME80 or GP100 or whatever the latest model is as I like Boss stuff.
My mistake. The fc100 is proprietary but you can still use any MIDI foot controller to change patches over MIDI.

I believe the RRC connector was still just MIDI protocol with 2 added pins for ground and DC power so the foot controller can operate without a dedicated power supply.
Old 8th August 2014
Here for the gear

oh ok thanks guys. i think i'll just get the ME-80. i've been looking at videos on Youtube of it and it seems to have everything i need in a compact form factor.
Old 11th August 2014
I would grab the GP8 anyway - I haven't seen one for years, but I believe they are true analog, and basically a bunch of (now classic) Boss pedals in a rack case. Even without the controller, this would be a rather desirable item. After that they went digital, and they sucked for the next couple of decades.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

The GP8 is great. They are dirt cheap these days and work with any midi pedal. The FC100 is cheap too but hard to find the connecting cable.
The delay and chorus are digital but excellent.

Roland GP8 review
Old 3rd February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
The GP8 is great. They are dirt cheap these days and work with any midi pedal. The FC100 is cheap too but hard to find the connecting cable.
The delay and chorus are digital but excellent.

Roland GP8 review
They don't work with any midi pedal. They have a proprietary din plug.
Old 3rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had a GP-8 and an SPX-90 back in the day, and seem to remember switching them both with a MIDI pedal. It had MIDI i/o and a switch on the back to select RRC or MIDI input.
Old 3rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Incorrect
They work with Midi too. You Can choose Midi or RRC.
Old 3rd February 2015
Old 4th February 2015
Lives for gear
To be clear. The FC100 foot pedal has a proprietary din plug. You cannot plug any other midi pedal into the FC100 connection. Yes you can switch patches with a midi cable into the midi connectors.
Old 31st March 2015
Here for the gear

Roland gp-8 guitar multi effects rack processor

FOR SALE

ROLAND GP-8 GUITAR MULTI EFFECTS RACK PROCESSOR

ROLAND GP-8 GUITAR MULTI EFFECTS RACK PROCESSOR
& Roland FC-100 Mk11 midi foot controller board .

Awesome classic Roland GP-8 rackmount guitar multi effects processor in excellent cosmetic and functional condition.
Includes a Roland FC-100, 11-button footswitch and a 20ft 7-pin MIDI cable to connect the FC-100 to the GP-8 Guitar Effects Processor mode 1&2 - Output for Tuner & Ev5 expression pedal !
Basically it's a bunch of the classic Boss pedals in rack form.
MIDI-programmable unit features :
Dynamic Filter
Compressor
Over Drive
Phaser
Distortion
Equalizer
Digital Delay
Digital Chorus
Fully Programmable with 256 sound banks = 128 programmed & 128 user programmable or 256 user programmable banks .Midi in & out & thru , Extension control out 1 & 2 , Return & Send , Line out 1 & 2 , Output 1 & 2 , Input on front 1 & Input in Back 1 ,Fully Programmable with hundreds of set,s & Banks , fully Loaded sounds from Clean to Mean
Only selling as Upgraded to a Digitech Rp1000
Very hard to find as people dont part with these
$300 ONO , Newborough pickup
Old 9th July 2017
Here for the gear

GP-8 RRC Plug pinout

Quote:
To be clear. The FC100 foot pedal has a proprietary din plug. You cannot plug any other midi pedal into the FC100 connection. Yes you can switch patches with a midi cable into the midi connectors.
Humble two cents: The GP8's RRC connector is a STANDARD DIN 6-pin plug. Since MIDI actually only uses three out of the five pins of MIDI 5-pin, the RRC uses the remaining three pins to deliver 1) a common ground connection 2) Voltage supply to the FC-100, 3) an audio out routed from the GP-8 pre-DSP section to the TUNER OUT jack in the FC-100. I have two identical guitar rack setups sporting a GP-8 each (among other things), and I built their RRC cables to FC-100s myself. There is only needed a point-to-point wiring (pin 1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3 and so on), and no special cable needs to be used, as long as it has at least 6 wires (I used standard UTP networking cable, which has 8 wires, only not using 2 of them). My longest cable is about 10 meters (for the live rack setup) and so far I' ve not experimented any loss or significant difference when compared to using a 2 meters cable (for the studio recording setup). DIN 6-pin plugs can be found cheap, even in Amazon (I bought a pack of 8 for real cheap, it provided for building 4 cables), and UTP networking 8-wire cable is almost everywhere, and can also be bought by the roll.

The GP8 is also the only rackmount processor that can provide real BOSS pedals sound and performance, AND external control of non MIDI units. My setups include a couple non-MIDI preamps (BBE 381 and Chandler Tube Driver rack unit), and their footswitch jacks go directly into "External control" jacks 1 and 2 on the GP8, and are programmed "on" or "off" by the patch. This way I don´t have to put additional footswitches for those, and when I change patches, they switch accordingly.

One little secret: On the GP8, the "Send/Receive" loop is right between the Analog and Digital (at the same time Mono and Stereo) sections, so I use the first preamp (BBE 381 - Solid State) in "front" (before) the GP8, then signal passes through the "analog-mono" section of GP8, then out through the GP8's loop to the second preamp (Chandler Tube Drive - Tube) preamp, thus "pushing it" both through either the first preamp OR the Compressor/overdrive/distortion on the GP8, the same way you would push any tube amp with a pedal in front, or add/chain several gain stages at different points for a massive distorted sound. Sweet!

Also, in the beginning (Had GP8 since 1991!) I didn't had a proper FC100 pedal to control it, at first I controlled it from a MIDI sequencer (I was in a band situation where every performance was MIDI-sequenced), through the MIDI IN port. Then the situation changed, and I controlled it from a MIDIMAN MIDI Pedal, again through the MIDI IN port. Then the FC100 came to my hands, and I only had to flip the little switch from the "MIDI IN" position to the "RRC IN" position. Only thing I regret is I have both FC100 and FC100MkII pedals (one for Studio, one for Live) and the MkII has a second expression pedal jack and additional MIDI programming features that neither the MkI nor the GP8 have... :(

I have some other gear I use, but the GP8 truly is a special piece of equipment!
Old 14th July 2017
Quote:
Understand, I'm not saying what will or won't work in this case, but DIN plugs have standard pin configurations, so as long as you have the correct spacing (sometimes there will be 2 DIN plugs with the same number of pins but different spacing, both part of the DIN spec) an plug with a smaller number of pins may.will work in a socket with a larger number of pins. A standard MIDI cabel uses only 3 pins of a 5 pin plug. Standard sockets are always 5 pin. If Roland decided to use a 7 pin connection to also carry power, then if the correct pins carrying the MIDI signal match up then it will work as long as your device requiring power has another way to get it. The extra pins on the 5 pin are usually unused but won't ever be used for power or other non-spec purposes because they are sometimes used for the MIDI Thru signal if the cable carries both Out and Thru.
Old 14th July 2017
Gear Addict

[IMG][/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Understand, I'm not saying what will or won't work in this case, but DIN plugs have standard pin configurations, so as long as you have the correct spacing (sometimes there will be 2 DIN plugs with the same number of pins but different spacing, both part of the DIN spec) an plug with a smaller number of pins may.will work in a socket with a larger number of pins. A standard MIDI cabel uses only 3 pins of a 5 pin plug. Standard sockets are always 5 pin. If Roland decided to use a 7 pin connection to also carry power, then if the correct pins carrying the MIDI signal match up then it will work as long as your device requiring power has another way to get it. The extra pins on the 5 pin are usually unused but won't ever be used for power or other non-spec purposes because they are sometimes used for the MIDI Thru signal if the cable carries both Out and Thru.
John I think this guy is confused.The GP-8 has midi in,midi out,and midi thru connectors.It also has an RRC connector for Roland's foot controller.
Attached Thumbnails
Roland GP 8-roland-gp-8-721794.jpg  
Old 14th July 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicklickz View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
John I think this guy is confused.The GP-8 has midi in,midi out,and midi thru connectors.It also has an RRC connector for Roland's foot controller.
I believe you're correct.
Old 14th July 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
DIN plugs have standard pin configurations, so as long as you have the correct spacing (sometimes there will be 2 DIN plugs with the same number of pins but different spacing, both part of the DIN spec) an plug with a smaller number of pins may.will work in a socket with a larger number of pins. A standard MIDI cabel uses only 3 pins of a 5 pin plug. Standard sockets are always 5 pin. If Roland decided to use a 7 pin connection to also carry power, then if the correct pins carrying the MIDI signal match up then it will work as long as your device requiring power has another way to get it. The extra pins on the 5 pin are usually unused but won't ever be used for power or other non-spec purposes because they are sometimes used for the MIDI Thru signal if the cable carries both Out and Thru.
In fact, they do. This is the DIN 6 pin connector Roland uses for RRC:

I bought some, to build my own cables, in here: https://www.amazon.com/6-Pin-DIN-Plu.../dp/B000LDWV80

Also, you can check out this nice document from Amphenol (Courtesy of Mouser) where they detail on what John said regarding pin spacing: there are some differences between same pin-number plugs (as in "a" and "b" 5-pin, for an example):

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/18/C09131...02-1108671.pdf

Some other brands, however, DO use the extra 1 and 5 pin on standard DIN 5-pin (as in MIDI cables) to carry out other signals, sometimes even power. ADA and Rocktron comes to mind. Some others use 7-PIN as well. But Roland's RRC uses this one, wired in a point-to-point basis. (Oh, and by the way, Roland's GK Guitar-to-MIDI systems use the 14-pin plug also described in the document! )
Old 16th July 2017
I've had a GP-8 since it was originally released, and an FC-100. I've used it with guitar amps (JC-120, Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+) and as a studio rack unit.

The GP-8 is basically the guts of 8 footpedals in a rack unit: Wah/Envelope follower, Compressor/Sustainer, (Turbo) Overdrive, Distortion, Phaser, EQ, Chorus, and Delay. Based on the sounds, names, and parameters, I suspect the circuit designs were lifted straight from the Boss pedals of the day.

The Chorus and Delay are digital, all of the other effects are analog. None of the effects can be synced to tempo, and there is no tap tempo feature.

You cannot change the order of effects, but you can decide which are engaged or not. You can assign an expression pedal to control one parameter. The GP-8 also has 2 control outs for things like switching your amp's reverb and distortion on and off if you connect the right cables. These can all be saved as part of a patch.

MIDI switching is nearly instantaneous. The unit is relatively low-noise, and can offer stereo or mono outputs at instrument or line level. Easy to program, too.

As noted, the GP-8 can use any MIDI device for patch changes, but the FC-100 is pretty nice -- very durable, solid, large, etc. Has an expression pedal input, and even has an audio out for a tuner. You can build your own cable or hire someone online to do it (I had several replacements built years ago).

I have mostly retired my GP-8, as after all these years I'm sort of burnt on the sound range it produces, and the relative lack of flexibility. It's a very large single-space rack unit, and lugging it around with the FC-100 got tedious.

It's a great unit, but for a couple hundred bucks I recently picked up the Boss MS-3, which is a more compact, self-contained unit that (so far) feels like a modern and improved version of what the GP-8 offers.
Old 26th June 2018
Here for the gear
Im buying all the GPS the world has to offer : seriously sound better than most of my massive rack of outboard.. Great for DAW production

Find me an mulitfx (6 analogue 2 digital classic Roland guitar pedals in one box) that beats the GP8 There is NONE

IT SOUNDS FAB

Bit of a weird interface, probably puts people off..

Love em, will marry one

The GP8 is amazing for studio use - I don't play guitar anymore

Last edited by Jimboy; 4th July 2018 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: update
Old 27th June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
Im buying all the GPS the world has to offer : seriously sound better than most of my massive rack of outboard.. Great for DAW production

Find me an mulitfx (6 analogue 2 digital classic Roland guitar pedals in one box) that beats the GP8 There is NONE

IT SOUNDS FAB

Love em, will marry one
The only other rack piece that has analog Boss pedals in it is the GX-700.
Old 27th June 2018
Quote:
I had a GP-8 and an SPX-90 back in the day, and seem to remember switching them both with a MIDI pedal. It had MIDI i/o and a switch on the back to select RRC or MIDI input.
There's no such thing as a "proprietary" DIN plug, there are just a lot of different pin configurations. However, as long as the spacing is the same there is no reason that a standard 5 (or even 3) pin MIDI plug won't work as long as you supply the power externally. The MIDI standard specifies 3 pins, usually on a 5 pin plug but leaving two pins unused. There have been devices that used 4 or 5 of the pins to supply in, out, and thru on a single cable but that's not part of the MIDI spec. So as long as you've got the two outside pins and the center pin of a standard MIDI plug you should have basic connectivity.
Old 27th June 2018
DIN plugs of all configurations can be purchased from most major electronics suppliers.
Old 27th June 2018
Quote:
Assuming you are referring to post #4 from 4 years ago, I said the FC-100 foot controller was proprietary, not the connector. It was designed specifically for the GP-8, GP-16, GR-50 and GM-70. But those units also had 5-pin MIDI input. The FC-100 was designed so that you only needed one cable for MIDI, Exp., Tuner and power.
Well, the word "proprietary" usually means that it can only be obtained from the company, if they're willing to sell to you. You can order pretty much any format DIN plug from the major electronics supplies like Newark, and probably from the more hobbyist oriented like Mouser as well.

So if the big problem is finding the cable, just build one!
Old 28th June 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The FC-100 PEDAL, John. The PEDAL was designed as a PROPRIETARY controller for several Roland products. That's what I said in the 4 year old post you are now quoting. And that's what I reiterated in my last post.

I can't see how you can construe this as me claiming a DIN plug is a proprietary connector.
I have one of these pedals and cables...came with my GM70. I find it amusing that the GM70 manual suggests adding the GP8 to the rig.
Old 8th August 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post

IT SOUNDS FAB

Love em, will marry one

The GP8 is amazing for studio use - I don't play guitar anymore
I totally agree. It sounds absolutely delicious together with drum machines and TB303. The Overdrive and the Distortion are very warm and very fat.

Also, I use Stereoping to get great control of all midi-parameters.

GP8 is a secret bargain!
Old 23rd August 2018
Lives for gear

Wiggen, do you use a reamping device to input synths or drum machines to the GP8?
Old 24th August 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedemann View Post
Wiggen, do you use a reamping device to input synths or drum machines to the GP8?
No. Btw, I prefer the input on the front.
Another great function is the output (”send”) where you bypass the chorus and the delay. This means you can use the gp-8 as a fully analog effectbox. Great overdrive and distortion for kicks, pads and basslines.
Old 27th August 2018
Lives for gear

Yes, took a look at the Service Manual before buying one thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search