The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Talk me out of the Vox ac4
Old 22nd December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
I have been checking out the Pathfinder and it seems there are lots of folks rehearsing and even gigging with it.Female artist Feist gigs with two in stereo.
A while back I was doing a track for a commercial that needed "the chime." With a Tele, my AC15 was sounding a bit too toppy, even using an RCA 77. Pathfinder was just the ticket. If I have time later I'll post it.
Old 22nd December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
A while back I was doing a track for a commercial that needed "the chime." With a Tele, my AC15 was sounding a bit too toppy, even using an RCA 77. Pathfinder was just the ticket. If I have time later I'll post it.
Old 22nd December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
If I have time later I'll post it.
Quote:
Turns out it was on the home laptop, too. Here you go. The Tele/Pathfinder starts at about :18.
Attached Files

CN_Eat_What_You_Want_Day.mp3 (963.5 KB, 726 views)

Old 22nd December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Turns out it was on the home laptop, too. Here you go. The Tele/Pathfinder starts at about :18.
Records well the Pathfinder. Did you ever try the line out?
What pick ups on the Tele?
I think from what i have heard, the Pathfinder works great with singles and especially p90`s

I like this set up, a 12 celestion blue would be my choice.

Old 22nd December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Records well the Pathfinder. Did you ever try the line out?
Nope, haven't. Never noticed it had one, actually.

Quote:
What pick ups on the Tele?
If you mean what position, rear. If you mean what kind, Seymour Duncan. No idea what specific kind of Seymour Duncan; it's been there since 1990 or so.
Old 26th December 2014
Gear Guru

And speaking of good cheap little amps… spent way too much of yesterday reacquainting myself with my son's Fender Frontman 25R. 75 bucks worth of not-half-bad.
Old 3rd January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Nope, haven't. Never noticed it had one, actually.

If you mean what position, rear. If you mean what kind, Seymour Duncan. No idea what specific kind of Seymour Duncan; it's been there since 1990 or so.
IIRC there is an earlier model "made in Korea" that did not have a line out. That may explain it.
Thanks for the PU info.
Old 3rd January 2015
Lives for gear

I have the Vox AC4 and I run it with a Fender Mustang guitar with D'Addario 11's on it. The breakup is super slow on these, so it's not a modern rocker. The cab's freq response is a little rough and ready too - you don't get a lot of bass or a lot of top, but there's a lot of spikes in the low mids.

That aside, the roar out of this thing when cranked is phenomenal. It's a real classic rock and blues tone - I can do justice to a lot of Eric Clapton's more famous tones just by toying with the overdrive and the tone knob on my guitar. Even some Zeppelin and Lizzy esque sounds are possible, 70's puk too - but obviously without a larger cab some sounds are just very difficult. Power chords sound great, but if you're into playing Deftones riffs you wont get the articulation you need by any means. Likewise you wont have the sparkle for most funk tones, or the bass for big metal riffs.

Looking forward to taking it home and plugging it into a real cab. I think, for the 60 euro I paid for it (2nd hand), most RE's would be crazy not to own one. It's a really charming overdrive sound.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search