The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Talk me out of the Vox ac4
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post
On the road, decent modeled amps sound better than they need to for most venues' acoustics.
On Sunset Blvd., they really don't. To me, anyway. Maybe someday, but not yet.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
On Sunset Blvd., they really don't. To me, anyway. Maybe someday, but not yet.
[off topic]
Maybe the day when the next version isn't oh-so-much-better.

Version 1: "It's so Authentic, it's indistinguishable!"
Version 2: "Now it's even more Authentic!"

Okay ... about those Version 1 claims ....
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Nut

I have an AC4TV - I wouldnt dare record OR gig with it.
Its the amp on my repair bench for testing and diagnosis.
Fun little amp for the price, I think I paid $100 bucks for it. Does carry the vox character but even after doing work on it and throwing different tubes and speakers at it, just doesnt give me what I look for and always comes off too thin and two dimensional. I have much doubt you would yield any sort of quality headroom and dynamic when trying to keep up with a band. But of course thats subjective to your ears and project. Hope this helps.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Not really. It'll drive an 8 ohm cab.

The rule of thumb is that you can go to a lower impedance on a tube amp (which is why many tube amps have shorting output jacks to protect the tranny) but not on a solid state amp, which will put out excessive current into a lower than rated impedance. Operating a tube amp into an OPEN circuit will blow the amp.
Darn it, now I want one too
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
If I went to see AC/DC and they rolled out on stage with modelers, I'd want a refund!

That pretty much goes for any group!
Just wait until they roll AC/DC out in wheelchairs!
Old 10th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Just wait until they roll AC/DC out in wheelchairs!
Not funny. Malcolm's pretty sick these days.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

don't buy a vox ac4
look on craigslist and spend a day making appointments and trying out amps in your price range - great **** comes up - saw a bassman with the 810 cab for 500 bucks the other day - right now there's a peavey classic 30 for 80 bucks - really. Although I can't believe that. but that's what it says
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

as for modeling amps - unless you enjoy the subtle digital winding that occurs in the noise floor which you will always hear once you learn the sound, they suck - all of them - those which don't have the digital winding noise have an expanded noise floor limiter and so attenuate your trebles

digital amps also have very low resale value - nobody in their right mind will buy a line 6 stack or half stack at pretty much any price - all those vox valvetronics you almost can't even give away - again you want to know what is good and what's not - look on craigslist and see what is coming up most often
Old 10th August 2014
Gear Guru

Lets hope the OP's grandmother appreciates his thriftiness and honesty and maybe helps him get an AC15HWX or AC15HW1

A far better amp than the AC4 or his old C-1.
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you go for an AC4, I'd go for the hand wired version.

Actually the new AC15HW is a far better amp than any of the earlier Chinese
PCB offerings.

If you add up what you have already spent on entry level amps, perhaps this time, you should hold out and upgrade.
The 90s Gibson GA15 is very close to an AC15 and can be knocked down to 6 watts - and it's made in America, not Asia. Plus they're about $400.
Old 11th August 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye_Am View Post
I have an AC4TV - I wouldnt dare record OR gig with it.
Its the amp on my repair bench for testing and diagnosis.
Fun little amp for the price, I think I paid $100 bucks for it. Does carry the vox character but even after doing work on it and throwing different tubes and speakers at it, just doesnt give me what I look for and always comes off too thin and two dimensional.
These are my feelings too... I would also add "tinny" (euphemistic for bright but not in a good way).

Tony
Old 11th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Grandma will just tell him to save up until he can afford an AC15HW1. :-)
Yes, Grandmother knows Best....
I think,
My Grannie went for a Marshall stack.
Old 12th August 2014
Quote:
If I went to see AC/DC and they rolled out on stage with modelers, I'd want a refund!

That pretty much goes for any group!

As long as they had cabs and heads on stage, how would you know?

-tINY

Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

-tINY

actually this is the way it's done now - roll out the marshall facades and meanwhile have your signal go to your rack in the wings and put it through a pa - huhuh I read about it from slash - you know you could even have a marshall fridge stocked with beer and sneak one every now and again. bumer for the drummer who has to sit there
Old 12th August 2014
Gear Guru

Some folks couldn't get anything done without guitar processors and modelers.

Others like me can play and track a very select group of amps at ideal volumes.

If you are happy with the results you are getting with your rig, fine by me.

We've all been back and forth on the subject of real amps and speakers vs. modelers all too many times.

No reason to derail yet another thread on the same subject.
Old 13th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by eve69 View Post
actually this is the way it's done now - roll out the marshall facades and meanwhile have your signal go to your rack in the wings and put it through a pa - huhuh I read about it from slash - you know you could even have a marshall fridge stocked with beer and sneak one every now and again. bumer for the drummer who has to sit there
Not sure about Malcolm, but Angus's rig for years has been one of his Marshalls (or whatever hes actually using nowadays) sitting underneath the stage in an iso cabinet and being sent to the PA.. Gone are the days of those full stacks actually running on stage.
Old 13th August 2014
Gear Guru

As of 2013 Angus' main amp JTM 45 but he had several other vintage Marshalls in the racks & a Wizard
Old 13th August 2014
Lives for gear
Personally I am not into low wattage amps. Wattage serves a purpose beyond the disinformation of mere "loudness". 30watts is as low as I would ponder.
If you want to hear a delicious sounding JTM45 check out Jeff Beck on Live At Ronnie Scott's. Marvelous tone. I think of that for a JTM45 not ACDC which I really cannot listen to much these days.
Old 13th August 2014
Gear Guru

There are places where you want rich full depth of tone and other places where
a thinner if not weedy tone can cut through like magic.

If the OP wants to play any time with a large bank of FX, maybe for dorm use,
an 11 Rack might be a better way to go.

If he plans to play out with live drums, then 15 watts should cover lower volume
stuff.

As much as I'd like to see him invest wisely in something built to last,
if he wants a rig that he can play through and record with any time, then an 11 rack might help him accomplish more.
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear
I remember being frustrated years back long before low wattage amps when I would crank my rig as much as I could and still could not be heard well enough over the drums. I had great tones but not enough power.
Low wattage are OK for recording stuff but band wise for me nothing less than a 30watter, more so a 50 or a 100 heaven. Depends on what you are playing but I would rather have the potential and not use verses the amp operating at its peak and having no where to go. There is always the PA but most smaller band PAs I would not kill my sound piping into them.

Best of all worlds are the amps that can vary wattage some change the transformer tap as well to match better.

I look at some of these really low watt amps selling for as much as the large wattage heads used to and I cannot help but feel a sense of ripoff. Wattage is not about merely louder. Commonly known rule of loudness potential is every doubling of watts increases the loudness potential by mere 3db.
If you want your amp to clip out and distort early that is what they do, but really midrange sounding and thin as there are no watts to push low frequencies.

A marvelous invention is the overdrive pedal, break up the higher watt amp at a lower volume setting while still having the wattage on tap for more headroom.
Some love those small one small speaker amps, whatever, I just have no use for them. I like to have at least twin 12s for more dimension to the sound. Having an amp that distorts like a pedal is not my ideal of an amp.
Nothing wrong with some of the recording model units can be a real hoot to mess with. Avid Eleven rack is OK, if you can win the lottery and get a Fractal the heavens will open.
Old 14th August 2014
Gear Guru

The more I talk to friends in EU and younger folks starting out, the more I realize how many people are affected by rather serious volume restrictions.

If you live in a flat or row house, a 5 watter can be too loud without some form of volume reduction, power scaling or at least dampening the volume.

If you can't crank your TV, chances are a 5 watter may upset neighbors.

If the OP is in a dorm situation or even off campus housing, chances are volume
will become a serious issue.

I like my more powerful rigs for volume, depth of tone and clean headroom, but I have zero volume restrictions.

We haven't heard back from the OP since we told him to ask his banker.
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

he realized advice is free
Old 14th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
We haven't heard back from the OP since we told him to ask his banker.
That's because this forum reminds me of the "what is love" skit on SNL. The OP in many of these threads is like the girl they convince to finally dance with them, and they mob her for 2 seconds and then push her out of the way.

And every new post in a thread doesn't require everybody else to come back and restate their position. Okay, taking assumed forum cop hat off, sorry.
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear
"Life's a piece of shhit when you look at it, so look on the bright side of life."

Wattage is not a loudness thing, only 3db every time you double wattage. If you want an amp that distorts like a pedal and has no clean headroom, have at it.

"Stupid is a paradigm of life."
Old 15th August 2014
Gear Addict

Here's your answer

British Invasion - Hotone

I'm thinking of picking up one for my Valve Jr Cab. $99
Old 16th August 2014
Quote:

-tINY

I worked to the band that opened fore them throughout the 1980 US tour. They wouldn't use that crap to save their lives.

Angus and Malcolm are VERY PARTICULAR about their amplification.
Old 16th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by eve69 View Post
It you're some oughties faux band, sure. Or even certain types of '90s metal bands (the decade when metal ceased to be really heavy and went right down the toilet.)

You can keep your tin ear modelers. Might make an exception for the Kemper based on what certain people have told me - but that's not actually a real modeler, it's a rather different beast.
Old 16th August 2014
Gear Addict

You can search for the Premier Guitar Rig Rundown videos and Brian May and a few others line up their amps on stage and only a couple are being used. The others are ready as back ups. I've read int he past that many of the huge Marshall stacks from the 80's (Van Halen for example) rock tours were present just for effect with only a couple actually hooked up and mic'd for PA. .
Old 19th August 2014
Lives for gear

Like said before 12" speaker, 10 doesn't cut it also doesn't like humbuckers, singles and P90's are great
Old 22nd December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
I don't think you'd want to try to gig or even rehearse with a rock band with the Pathfinder, but it does sound amazingly good. Pretty sure mine was around $80 new.
I have been checking out the Pathfinder and it seems there are lots of folks rehearsing and even gigging with it.Female artist Feist gigs with two in stereo.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search