The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can i make studio quality tracks with a 600$ bass?
Old 25th April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmax_99 View Post
Yeah. Nothing like playing it before you buy it. I have never purchased an instrument without playing it first - which means going to a store to play it first. Personally, I think this is the fun part.
Oh, don't get me wrong - bass shopping is very fun. That is, until you know what you want and just need to find a good sample of it in person. That gets difficult. In NYC especially, most shops gravitate towards collectible/vintage Fenders, and MIMs or even used MIA Standards used are harder to come by in the flesh. One is left with Craigslist which is far less pleasant than a day out at the guitar shops .
Old 25th April 2015
Psy War

This sounds like the first episode of the Home Studio Simplified podcast! Lol so much money has been spent on better gear by all of us, and yet better technique can go a looooong way! If you can't find a decent bass in that price range you are getting raped!
Old 25th April 2015
Gear Guru

please someone troll me right now tell me how much money I HAVE to spend to get good bass
Old 25th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
please someone troll me right now tell me how much money I HAVE to spend to get good bass
Dude, it HAS to say Fender on the headstock! If it doesn't it just won't cut it! Oh yeah, it should be vintage as well…
Old 25th April 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasperjensen View Post
Yes, there is a lot of perfectly adequate equipment for any application in that price range.

I would even go so far as to say that if you can't make a decent recording from equipment in that price range, you won't be able to on more expensive gear either.

I am not suggesting that you personally can't... It's more of a general comment.

I totally agree. It's all about the player and recording method IMO. So many, especially POP, tracks recorded with software bass these days anyway. I'm not saying equipment does not matter, however, if you gave Paul McCartney a Squire Fender and had adequate recording methods, it would sound fantastic!!
Could the quality be improved by a $2000 bass....maybe.....but most probably could not tell the difference. Sometimes the more expensive gear is about withstanding the wear and tear of a working musician (better tuners, materials, etc) not just better sound.
Old 25th April 2015
Lives for gear

Wow, six pages to say, "yes!"
Old 25th April 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
$400 for the bass. $75 for a comfortable strap. Another $25 for the cord. New set of strings will run you $20. Let's say you do your own setup, so another $10 for some screwdrivers and an allen wrench.

I say $530.
Old 25th April 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
$75 for a comfortable strap.
Wow. Guess it's been a while since I went strap-shopping.
Old 25th April 2015
Gear Guru

Straps are SOOOO much better now than they used to be. Those weak cloth Hendrix paisley straps are just junk in comparison to the nice padded leather straps you can get now.

Unfortuntely, my favorite strap isn't made anymore. It was just a short time product made by a Montana company that makes gun holsters, Mountain Leatherworks. Thick hard leather backed with a tight suede, narrow at just the top and bottom, 2" wide, and the only metal on it are Chicago screws, so there's nothing to scratch the guitar. I should take it to the local guy who makes Harley seats and see if he can copy it.

Last edited by kafka; 25th April 2015 at 07:17 PM..
Old 25th April 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Straps are SOOOO much better now than they used to be. Those weak cloth Hendrix paisley straps are just junk in comparison to the nice padded leather straps you can get now.
All I've ever used are those skinny standard-issue black leather Fender ones from the 60's and 70's -- I've probably got 5 or 6 of them. And given that we're a commercial studio, we've got a couple big plastic bins in the back closet full of musician debris. Probably another dozen straps in there. Never occurred to me to go out and buy one.
Old 25th April 2015

in the 90's and early 00's a played bass on about 1000 records - mostly pop and dance stuff. But absolutely shed loads of stuff - especially during the early 90s... heck of a lot of stuff for oodles of cooler than though dance tracks.

i did most of this with a 90 quid bass guitar.
Old 26th April 2015
Lives for gear

You really have any doubts? It´s NEVEEER about the gear. Never. Someone is gonna say "then why X guy doesn´t play with an Squier?". It´s not about it. Of course, you choose to play with the best instrument you can find, but that´s not proof that gear can make a decent musician bad. If you´re uncertain (which I did), you have to keep going and gaining experience until it´s cristal clear for you...

Here you go... Talented player in a room, with a 400 bucks bass on a cheapo interface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05JMRO1QJpY
Old 28th April 2015
Gear Nut

Absolutely you can. An amp builder I used to buy from swore by his $300 guitar sounding better than his $2000 guitar and his amps really let the tone of the guitar come though. It was just the right cut of wood that resonated so perfectly he said

Shameless plug here for perspective, I used a $200 bass on these tracks:

Old 28th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
50 bucks, as long as you're using Mogami cable.
Old 25th June 2015
Here for the gear

I created this thread with the purpose of getting opinions of cheap basses and to perhaps find some hidden bass gems in the lower budget
I had almost fell asleep infront of the computer when i wrote the description so i guess i can have a little laugh at some of the responses

I ended up going with a used pristine Fender MIM jazzbass from 2000 i am incredibly satisfied

Nalkas
Old 25th June 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalkas View Post
I created this thread with the purpose of getting opinions of cheap basses and to perhaps find some hidden bass gems in the lower budget
I had almost fell asleep infront of the computer when i wrote the description so i guess i can have a little laugh at some of the responses

I ended up going with a used pristine Fender MIM jazzbass from 2000 i am incredibly satisfied

Nalkas
After my last response, I also ended up with an MIM, but it was a new P. After fiddling with the electronics, I nailed the sound I was after, and it plays beautifully.
Old 25th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
$400 for the bass. $75 for a comfortable strap....
Or $7.50 for some polyester seatbelt material, a spool of thread and a needle, a couple of fender washers and pieces of small barstock with a hole in it...
Old 26th June 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lame pseudonym View Post
Or $7.50 for some polyester seatbelt material, a spool of thread and a needle, a couple of fender washers and pieces of small barstock with a hole in it...
That'll work.
Old 26th June 2015
Lives for gear

I've finally gotten around to recording my SX P bass ... I put a new bridge and tuners on it and some TI Jazz flats and it records amazingly well. No one has picked that it's a short scale! Cost me $300 all up. Also, a good DI is important. I analysed the difference between an old prosumer DI and the REDDI by sweeping a bandpass around and comparing the two tracks. The REDDI recording sounds good everywhere ... the REDDI consistency of tone is impressive. The only spot I felt I could cut anything away from without making it sound worse was around 250hz, but it needed maybe -2db ... The tone was full and punchy throughout the entire spectrum with zero resonances. The other DI track was a mess.
Old 27th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
50 bucks, as long as you're using Mogami cable.
(and the crowd throws tomatoes..........)
Old 27th June 2015
Lives for gear

FWIW, I have a MIM P-bass (this one: )

Fender Standard Precision Bass Guitar | Musician's Friend

I've been a bass player for a long time and even with stock pups it sounds like a P-bass. (I do want to put nordstands in it)

Great neck (lower action than you'd think in this price range) feels good, tuners are decent and the bridge is above average.

They make a jass one for not too much more too. As far as getting a good tone, 95% of the time it's eq and or micing/sim/etc to get the "tone"
Old 27th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalkas View Post
Hey there gearslutz, i'm planning on purchasing a new electric bass to be used in my studio.

I was thinking i'd spend around 400 SEK which is around 600 usd.
But i am wondering, is this enough of a budget to make great bass tracks and records with?

As of now i am thinking of buying either the Epiphone thunderbird classic IV (4100kr, 595 USD) or the Squier Classic Vibe Precision Bass '50s Maple (3700kr, 537 USD) Any better alternatives?

When it comes to recording i will plug it into my ISA One to my FR 18i20

Cheers
Absolutely
Old 27th June 2015
Here for the gear

If you can make good studio tracks, you can do it on any bass that is playable.
Old 27th June 2015
Frankly I'm getting rather annoyed seeing this thread her week after week, even after my "vacation".

Dig it, kiddies - if you're a studio quality bass player you can do studio quality tracks on any really playable instrument that doesn't have really f*cked up electronics - and maybe even then.*

If you're not it doesn't matter if you have a $10,000 instrument - you tracks wi sound like crap.

Put in the frickin' work.

Learn to understand the role opf the bass in the arrangement.

Develop your right hand (if you're a righty) foir an even touch except when you intend emphasis and then only employ the proper amount.

Put in the work.

Put in the work.

Putin the work.

There really is no such thing as a free lunch.

* - back in the day studio bass players like Harvey Brooks and some of the guys from The Wrecking Crew used Danelectro basses that were sold in Sears mail order catalogs.

That doesn't mean any piece of crap will work (Teisco, blecch), but any bass with reasonable tone with halfway decent action that plays in tune will work.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search