The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can i make studio quality tracks with a 600$ bass?
Old 19th February 2015
I recorded a clip of my bass to share with you guys, maybe you'll have some comment on it.

Bass -> High Z input of pre-amp -> AD converter, no EQ, compression or any effects applied.

In this case I used a pick.

Please don't mind my playing skills, I did not use a guide track for this.

Ok, the clip works, but how do I get it to play in the "forum player" ?
Attached Thumbnails
Can i make studio quality tracks with a 600$ bass?-afb1923.jpg  
Attached Files

600 $ BASS.wav (4.24 MB, 499 views)

Old 19th February 2015
Gear Guru

Sounds just fine!

Now try playing gently with fingers.

Also try a Dunlop .60 nylon pick.

Compare the results.

Also try tracking neck pickup only with treble about 50%

You have a lot more options than you might think.
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

I have a Fender RW P bass that I paid $575 for and it's a fantastic bass...wouldn't hesitate to use it for anything.
So my answer to the Op question is - definitely yes.
Old 19th February 2015
Thanx again !

Yes, I only recorded this one bit but I have been experimenting with different styles.

Ik like the sound of my thumb (a bit dark) for slow soul / reggae type grooves.

My index / middle vinger more for powerfull playing.

This bit was recorded with a dunlop .50 nylon pick, in the past I could not get a great picked mute sound from my setup, I really like this sound I get from it now, so I will be getting myself a collection of picks to experiment with.

I made a promise to myself to spend a lot more time with this instrument, the thing is, there is also a studio, a nice spanish acoustic, a strat and a Mark 1 Rhodes piano that all want my attention.

I also did a mod om my Jim Dunlop Wah pedal, really cheap trick with great results, just add an extra cap parallel to the one that is in there but connect it via the footswitch (you loose bypass mode) now it's centerfrequency will shift by aprox one octave when pressed and makes it into a bass / Rhodes wah pedal... also increase the resistor in that filtercircuit to 2 to 2.5 K to get a better bass responce from the pedal in general. It's been a long time ago I had so much fun for just 20 cents.

i'll record a clip of this later, it's a really usefull mod.
Old 19th February 2015
Gear Guru

I'd like to hear some bass wah!
Old 19th February 2015
Here's how it sounds with the extra cap engaged...

It needs a new pot I guess, it starts to crackle a bit at some places.

Maybe the circuit needs a bit more of finetuning I hear from the recording, it could be that increasing the low end responce introduces a bit of distortion.

I'll get me some fresh pot and test some more...
Attached Files

0.047uF WAH MOD.wav (2.77 MB, 599 views)

Old 19th February 2015
Gear Guru

wow that's funky! I am going to have to try this. I've got a bass wah and a bass sitting right next to me! just haven't got around to plugging them together. envelope filter can be really good on bass too.
Old 20th February 2015
Gear Guru

Sounds a lot like the tones I used to get running through my Mutron.

Lent it to someone, never saw it again.
Old 20th February 2015
Gear Addict
Yes, there is a lot of perfectly adequate equipment for any application in that price range.

I would even go so far as to say that if you can't make a decent recording from equipment in that price range, you won't be able to on more expensive gear either.

I am not suggesting that you personally can't... It's more of a general comment.
Old 21st February 2015
Here for the gear

yeah man absolutely possible....i use an allen woody signature rumble kat from epiphone and my main go to is a mexican fender p bass i bought in west palm beach florida....got bari down there at a consignment shop to install lollar pickups in it and a red tortoise shell pickgaurd...good luck in ya search
Old 21st February 2015
Lives for gear

No. The minimum bass for quality tracks is $1150 and even when a $1150 bass has degraded to the point where a pro will sell it for $600, all of the pro is used up and the mojo is gone, which makes it useless for pro tracks.
Old 22nd February 2015
Here for the gear

The best Bass sound I ever got, comes from a 200€ (230 US Dollar) Cort Action 4 Bass, one pickup slightly rolled back.
It sounded better than a 70' USA Fender Precision, a Modern Fender Jazz (around 800 US Dollar), a Fender Mark Hoppus Signature with Quarter Pounder (800) and a Warwick Jazz (1000) in a blind shootout.
Old 22nd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximilian Rabe View Post
The best Bass sound I ever got, comes from a 200€ (230 US Dollar) Cort Action 4 Bass, one pickup slightly rolled back.
It sounded better than a 70' USA Fender Precision, a Modern Fender Jazz (around 800 US Dollar), a Fender Mark Hoppus Signature with Quarter Pounder (800) and a Warwick Jazz (1000) in a blind shootout.
I don't know about most people, but I have never tracked a "blind shootout".
Old 22nd February 2015
Gear Guru

GREAT!
Old 22nd February 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
I don't know about most people, but I have never tracked a "blind shootout".
The only one I know about never actually happened. Over a perceived slight to his honor -- no doubt both women and liquor were involved -- Blind Willie McTell challenged Helen Keller to a duel. Pistols at dawn, in the alley behind the gas station where Blind Willie's cousin worked part time. But seeing as how his last set ended at 2am, when dawn came Blind Willie was nowhere to be found. Helen Keller was declared the winner, and not a shot was fired. True story, I swear.
Old 25th February 2015
Lives for gear

I picked up an SX SPB62 (62' Precision reissue) in 30" scale with intentions on replacing all hardware (still going to do it), but with just new strings and a good setup it sounds great simply through a REDDI into the box (or in series via another pre to get input levels right). Can't believe how good it sounds for its price.
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear
you can record rock and roll with anything
Old 4th April 2015
Lives for gear
This is an older thread but $600 can find you a used american jazz bass that should record great.

Being a good player who can groove obviously really helps, but not just because of technique. The experience to know how to dial tones up is also something that does not come as easy on bass. it just takes a while to learn how to handle bass in the studio, so spend time tweaking all the knobs - you may be surprised at how the tone knob can make a J bass easier to mix for example.
Old 4th April 2015
To answer the original question......

Sure.

You bet.

You ABSOLUTELY can.

If, of course, you're a studio quality bass player.
Old 4th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsolo View Post
The audience doesn't care. They care about the notes being played.

OK Tone + Exceptional Playing > Great tone + mediocre playing.

We talk about, buy, debate, shop for, and fetishize gear because that's the only thing you can really control in this equation. You can practice your whole life and only get to "merely adequate."

Obviously you have to practice many hours to realize your potential as a musician, but for many, that doesn't amount to much.
but the fact is good musicians tend to sound good, it's rare that you hear a great guitar player with a crap tone. When the sound you're hearing is right it's oh so much easier to play, and when it's not it's just tougher. And that goes for anyone at any skill level although usually the less skilled don't know how to make a good sound.
Old 4th April 2015
Gear Guru

I've bought 3 basses for around $400 each, and any of them you've seen pros use. One is a late 70s Yamaha BB1200, which is a P-bass with a through neck. Sweet bass. I have flatwounds on it. Paul McCartney used to play that one. There are plenty of pros who will take the newer ones with the bolt-on necks on stage. They're good instruments. The other is a beat-to-hell G&L US made L2000. Super nice bass, and very flexible. The third is an early 80s Carvin LB50. Not my favorite bass, but it will do the trick, and there's nothing wrong with it.

I've played a bunch of Mexican Fender J-basses before, and all of them were utter crap. But then I bought a bass amp a month or two ago, and the guy had a MIM, and it was as good as any J bass I've ever played. Totally stock. The good ones are out there. You just have to play enough of them to find them.

Honestly, a lot of bass amounts to setup. Fret buzz on a guitar is a horrid offense. On a bass, it's a tool that you can use to get a little grind and edge. It's critical to get that neck angle right, because bass tone suffers more if you have to raise the string up too much. And then there's neck relief, which is more sensitive than on guitar due to the greater vibrating excursion of the string. A bass nut that's too high or too low will cause you problems that you might be able to tweak out if it were a guitar, so you shouldn't hesitate to replace it or have it adjusted if it's not right.
Old 24th April 2015
Gear Guru

Agreed with your specifics on bass setup, it's much more critical and tweaky than electric guitar. Gotta get that action low, and it's a challenge.
Old 24th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
but the fact is good musicians tend to sound good, it's rare that you hear a great guitar player with a crap tone. When the sound you're hearing is right it's oh so much easier to play, and when it's not it's just tougher. And that goes for anyone at any skill level although usually the less skilled don't know how to make a good sound.
Couldn't agree more. Good musician's can make mediocre instruments sing. All things being equal, I'd rather hear a good player on a mediocre instrument than a mediocre player on a good instrument ANY DAY.

As for bass guitars in the studio, IMHO you really don't need to break the bank. Unless you are going for something really signature (or you want to feature it in a way that really exposes the tone), you absolutely can get extremely usable results out of inexpensive instruments. The bass I use in my home studio I got for eighty bucks (second hand). It sounds clean, it's in tune and it plays well. I figure I'm gonna plug it in direct and run it through a compressor and an EQ plug to shape the tone and get more bottom out of it. No one has ever said I need to get a nicer bass after hearing my recordings.
Old 24th April 2015
Lives for gear
Old thread, but I've been mulling a new bass and was thinking to get either a used American P Bass, or just go for a new MIM (since I can pick the color and neck material) with possible pickup upgrade for an extra $100 or so. The American could potentially be a better deal, but I have to spend all that time trying to track one down. Time that I could spend making music. I record mostly direct through a Golden Age Pre and EQ, and adding a WA76 comp soon as well. Would going MIA make a huge difference over current model MIM P Basses?

I currently have a T-40 and MIM fretless Jazz. The Jazz sounds great direct, but I want frets and a P tone. The T-40 also sounds great, but it doesn't fit my style as well as the Fenders. Both are for sale in the classifieds (NYC only).
Old 24th April 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleHold View Post
Would going MIA make a huge difference over current model MIM P Basses?
Not counting the "being a good player" part, it's all about the individual instrument. I've played MIM's that were killer, and I've played (and owned) MIA P's and J's that weren't. Even my son's Squier P is pretty good. Right now, the best-recording bass I have is an 80's Ibanez Blazer "P" style I got off of eBay for $67.

At any rate, being made in the US assures you of nothing other than that the people who made it got a decent day's pay.
Old 24th April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Not counting the "being a good player" part, it's all about the individual instrument. I've played MIM's that were killer, and I've played (and owned) MIA P's and J's that weren't. Even my son's Squier P is pretty good. Right now, the best-recording bass I have is an 80's Ibanez Blazer "P" style I got off of eBay for $67.

At any rate, being made in the US assures you of nothing other than that the people who made it got a decent day's pay.
Thanks. That's what I've been reading. It's a little frustrating that I can't just walk out to a store (in NYC of all places) and test a few samples of either model. GC has a couple, but they never have any colors I want . Used is tough too, unless it is some vintage $2000 model. Has anyone dealt with Sweetwater for guitars/basses? I read that they setup and test every instrument, but how stringent are they? Do they actually weed out the inferior samples?
Old 24th April 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleHold View Post
Has anyone dealt with Sweetwater for guitars/basses? <> Do they actually weed out the inferior samples?
They probably weed out any flat-out defective stuff that makes it past the factory QC. But an instrument that's not defective can still be a dog.
Old 25th April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
They probably weed out any flat-out defective stuff that makes it past the factory QC. But an instrument that's not defective can still be a dog.
Yeah, I figured that was the case. Shopping for basses is a lot of work.
Old 25th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah. Nothing like playing it before you buy it. I have never purchased an instrument without playing it first - which means going to a store to play it first. Personally, I think this is the fun part.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search