The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gibson serial number checking?
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Nut
Gibson serial number checking?

Can anyone point me in the right direction for checking out serial/details of a potential purchase I'm about to make? I checked Gibson site, but there's just details of what all the numbers mean - couldn't see a form for submitting or anything.
Another forum seemed to have a guy replying to peoples queeries, but it was a few years old that thread.
thanks!
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Nut
thanks, but I kinda found that already - couldn't see any forms to fill out or anything. Pity Gibson were not a bit more organised with their numbering, in the past.
Old 28th July 2014
There are no forms, you will have to either decipher or contact them. Beware of third-party sites that DO have forms as in the past scammers have used them to "prove" the authenticity of counterfeits they have been trying to shift.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

I've contacted Gibson twice over the years to verify information. The last time, I called them on the phone and was given a quick answer.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnylondon View Post
Can anyone point me in the right direction for checking out serial/details of a potential purchase I'm about to make? I checked Gibson site, but there's just details of what all the numbers mean - couldn't see a form for submitting or anything.
Another forum seemed to have a guy replying to peoples queeries, but it was a few years old that thread.
thanks!
Is the guitar a Custom Shop model, or Gibson USA? Or is it pre-1980's?
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Nut
It's just a standard, 2005. I mailed Gibson with pics and serial, they say it's ok, so I'm good to go. Will be interesting to compare it to the faded special that I already have... will keep you posted!
Old 23rd March 2016
Here for the gear

Can some one help, how can i find if my gibson les paul is real or fake, this is the serial # 02005569
Old 23rd March 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe. Gia View Post
Can you please someone help on here about my Les Paul Gibson if it's a fake or not. Serial # 02005569
how can you tell by this number? made in 05

post pics

it's pretty easy to tell
Old 23rd March 2016
Gear Nut

There's also Guitar dater project which has a section on Gibsons. It'll show you the date and factory where it was made.

The Guitar Dater Project - Gibson Serial Number Decoder

Anecdotally, it shows the correct year and factory for my gibsons.
Old 23rd March 2016
Gear Guru

Those directories are good for most Gibsons, but Gibson themselves have been pretty spotty. I have a Gibson that I can't narrow down more than a range of 3-4 years on the serial number alone. I can get it down to two by looking at the features.
Old 23rd March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe. Gia View Post
Can some one help, how can i find if my gibson les paul is real or fake, this is the serial # 02005569
A serial number alone does not verify authenticity or otherwise - often people who build counterfeits just duplicate existing "real" serial numbers that match the model of the guitar (so even if you contact Gibson they will tell you it's valid).

You need to post pics of the guitar, that's really the only way to tell.
Old 1st April 2017
Here for the gear

A long time ago I had my Les Paul custom stolen. Is there any way to find if the guitar ever surfaced? Does the serial number go into a stolen database?
Old 1st April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Chez View Post
A long time ago I had my Les Paul custom stolen. Is there any way to find if the guitar ever surfaced? Does the serial number go into a stolen database?
I'm not aware of one. Do you have a police report? If so, then your best bet is to keep an eye out on Craigslist, eBay, Gbase, and Reverb. If you have a picture and a serial number, you could post it somewhere like here on the hopes that someone recognizes it. However, you may just end up tipping someone off that it was stolen, and you may never see it again if the thief/owner decides it was a keeper.
Old 1st April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
A serial number alone does not verify authenticity or otherwise - often people who build counterfeits just duplicate existing "real" serial numbers that match the model of the guitar (so even if you contact Gibson they will tell you it's valid).

You need to post pics of the guitar, that's really the only way to tell.
THIS!

Serial numbers are fairly useless for proving authenticity these days. The main thing they're useful for is police reports and insurance claims.
Old 3rd April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
THIS!

Serial numbers are fairly useless for proving authenticity these days. The main thing they're useful for is police reports and insurance claims.
Beyond this, some counterfeiters have apparently even gone to extreme lengths in the past by setting up fake "authentication" websites where they can setup the site to report anything they want about any given serial number, duplicated or otherwise. So if they've got some random number on the back of a Chibson, they make a couple sites that say "SUPER RARE! Only two in existence, one belonged to Les Paul himself!" when that number is keyed in, or crap to that effect. It's a long con but I guess it was worth it...
Old 7th August 2017
Here for the gear

I'd love to know when my Gibson SG was made. The serial number is 621704. I find their search tool to be very confusing and I don't trust the The Guitar Dater Project - Gibson Serial Number Decoder as it's wanted me go download something and I don't trust it.
Old 11th September 2018
Here for the gear

My serial number was "V6940 26" and This was the only site that worked when I entered my serial number. The site identified the year my Gibson was made (1956): Gibson Guitars Serial Numbers Decoder - GuitarInsite
Old 12th September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIDBACKMANNER View Post
My serial number was "V6940 26" and This was the only site that worked when I entered my serial number. The site identified the year my Gibson was made (1956): Gibson Guitars Serial Numbers Decoder - GuitarInsite
Interesting - there is NOTHING on that site that agrees with the serial of my 1959 J200 - A 345XX (The "XX" is filled by the last two digits of the number), which has been verified by the factory and an independent expert at San Francisco's Real Guitars.
Old 21st October 2018
Here for the gear

Hi guys,
I have an what I believe is a 99 SG61 reissue, however the DDD part of my serial number says 403. Can anyone explain this?
Old 23rd December 2018
Here for the gear

Hi!

It doesn't happen to have multiple signatures on it by any chance does it?

Thanks,
Jon Barnes
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search