The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Boss RC-30 (Looper Station)
Old 26th July 2014
Here for the gear

Boss RC-30 (Looper Station)

Hey everyone! I just have a few newbie questions. I recently just purchased a boss rc-30 and...

1) Can you use studio monitors as an amplifier for your pedal? (just wanting to hear your loops live through speaker when your home) Or do you actually need a preamp or poweramp for better quality?

2) What's better for your loop pedal? A Pre amplifier or Power amplifier? For both jamming at home to hear the sound I produce and if I were to perform live with the pedal somewhere? What's the better choice for both situations?

3) If I'm just jamming on my own with my pedal, is it necessary to have any amplifier? Or can I just have the pedal, the usb cable connected to the computer, and just jam that way without spending for studio monitors/preamp/poweramp?

4) If anyone out there is knowledgable with certain INEXPENSIVE at the best quality amplifiers for this pedal, can you please let me know some by linking some? (Preferably things being sold on amazon)

That's all! Thanks everyone!
Old 28th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanRosario View Post
Hey everyone! I just have a few newbie questions. I recently just purchased a boss rc-30 and...

1) Can you use studio monitors as an amplifier for your pedal? (just wanting to hear your loops live through speaker when your home) Or do you actually need a preamp or poweramp for better quality?
Powered monitors will work fine. But, you'll have to hook them up directly from what I can tell.

Quote:
2) What's better for your loop pedal? A Pre amplifier or Power amplifier? For both jamming at home to hear the sound I produce and if I were to perform live with the pedal somewhere? What's the better choice for both situations?
This appears to output a line-level which means a preamp is nice, but not required. I'm pretty sure you'll want a preamp before going to monitors. Powered monitors have a power amp built in.

For live, your best bet is a plain ol' guitar amp.

Quote:
3) If I'm just jamming on my own with my pedal, is it necessary to have any amplifier? Or can I just have the pedal, the usb cable connected to the computer, and just jam that way without spending for studio monitors/preamp/poweramp?
It's necessary to have an amplifier. It can be the amplifier in your monitors. I'm almost certain the USB idea won't work and if it does, there will be enough latency to bother you.

Quote:
4) If anyone out there is knowledgable with certain INEXPENSIVE at the best quality amplifiers for this pedal, can you please let me know some by linking some? (Preferably things being sold on amazon)
Get any guitar amp that you like. If you're going for cheap, your options will be limited. That's a whole can of worms. Just get what you are going to get. It's hard to go right with your first amp. The odds are very high that you'll outgrow anything you get. That being said, my recommendation is a Roland Micro Cube. I'll let you search on amazon...
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

for an inexpensive amp, i think it's hard to beat the Fender Mustang series. again and again i see them preferred over the current Roland, Vox, Peavey, etc offerings (not to mention all those whose tube amps are now gathering dust after buying one). the Mustang I and II are nice, but if you can budget for a III it has full on-board editing and an FX loop (with Looper mode) that would work great with the RC-30.
Old 28th July 2014
Here for the gear

THANK YOU so much guys for your help! I really appreciate it!!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search