The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Worst digital delay pedals. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Nut

Worst digital delay pedals.

hey guys,

I was wondering what are your opinions on the worst digital delay pedals out there? Sterile, plastiki, cold what ever you wanna call it. The pedals that you can't even stand hearing them on again.

The thing is, we guitarists always talk about the warmth and everything that makes analog delays great but we never talk about the ****ty delays that we have tried. So yeah, feel free to chime in

Cheers

Edit: rack units are also welcomed.
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Addict

Well, there's the Line 6 DL-4, of course.

I really wanted to like Earthquakerdevices Disaster Transport, tried to for about a year... But no dice.

Nowadays, Analog.Man ARDX20 with Amaze0 makes me happy.
Old 20th July 2014
Yes, the infamous DL-4. Like most Line 6 gear it does everything your could possibly want except sound good if you can only fight your way through the needlessly complicated and confusing user interface to figure out how to do it.

Looks like I'm finally getting rid of mine, to my lead guitarist's ex.
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

First one that came to mind was the Line 6. I remember bringing my vintage Maxxon 900 and Roland 201 to a session I was engineering and the producer insisted on using his DL4 (which was my first introduction to this unit).
Old 20th July 2014
Alesis Quadroverb, only got it for the reverse reverb, otherwise so horrific that it's probably considered a vintage classic at this point and a secret weapon of many modern producers... :P
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
Alesis Quadroverb, only got it for the reverse reverb, otherwise so horrific that it's probably considered a vintage classic at this point and a secret weapon of many modern producers... :P
That's a damn big "pedal".
Old 21st July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodebro View Post
That's a damn big "pedal".
The OP said "rack units are also welcomed(sic)".
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The OP said "rack units are also welcomed(sic)".
My bad, I read the first post before he added that edit in.

My vote would also be for the Line 6. Not only are they not the best sounding units out there by a long shot, but they're also built to last just a little bit longer than a disposable lighter.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

DL 4's sound good, but their design with the foot controllers is/was sub-par resulting in breakdown of gear at gigs.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear
Boss space echo

Sounds really nice but every time you touch the pedal the thud of the touch gets mixed into the sound...
So unusable... But maybe my unit was broken
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

TC Flashback... serious, not a fan.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

I had a Yamaha EMP100 for a while, seemed pretty bad. Not real intuitive. I like the Effectron Jr. and Zoom 1201--not the most versatile, but good with guitars.
Old 21st July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodebro View Post
My bad, I read the first post before he added that edit in.

My vote would also be for the Line 6. Not only are they not the best sounding units out there by a long shot, but they're also built to last just a little bit longer than a disposable lighter.
AHEM!

Are you deliberately being ironic?

The thread is about the WORST digital delay pedal.

For which the Line 6 is certainly in the running. Plastic sound, really horrendous user interface.
Old 21st July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderboy View Post
Boss space echo

Sounds really nice but every time you touch the pedal the thud of the touch gets mixed into the sound...
So unusable... But maybe my unit was broken
Get it serviced. Mine doesn't do that.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
AHEM!

Are you deliberately being ironic?

The thread is about the WORST digital delay pedal.

For which the Line 6 is certainly in the running. Plastic sound, really horrendous user interface.
I said they're not the best sounding units out there, and are built to last just a little bit longer than a disposable lighter. That was a polite way of saying they sound like crap and are built like cheap toys.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Get it serviced. Mine doesn't do that.
As I bought it new I thought it was just cheap engineering, gave it back and got the vox time Machine instead
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo View Post
Well, there's the Line 6 DL-4, of course.

I really wanted to like Earthquakerdevices Disaster Transport, tried to for about a year... But no dice.

Nowadays, Analog.Man ARDX20 with Amaze0 makes me happy.
I love the disaster transport. Closest thing I've found to an SDD 3000 in a pedal.
Old 21st July 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearAndGuitars View Post
I love the disaster transport. Closest thing I've found to an SDD 3000 in a pedal.
Yeah, probably had more to do with my expectations of what it could do, rather than it actually sucking. EQD boasts in their sales litterature that this is an 'analog voiced' digital delay, that emulates the random peculiarities of tape. I bought it as a live replacement for my tape echoes and Yamaha analog rack delay, and it just doesn't cut it for that.

I guess no effects company these days can sell a digital delay without putting the word analog in there somewhere. You don't see a lot of pedals claiming to have 'clean and pristine digital repeats'

But dude, the closest thing to an sdd 3000 in a pedal, is probably the sdd 3000 pedal:
SDD-3000 PEDAL PROGRAMMABLE DIGITAL DELAY | Effects | KORG

Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SighBorg View Post
As an owner of one, it may have its shortcomings, but worse delay pedal? Not by far.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

DL4's are great pedals other than a few flaws (some had bad switches/vol drop/huge footprint).
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo View Post
Yeah, probably had more to do with my expectations of what it could do, rather than it actually sucking. EQD boasts in their sales litterature that this is an 'analog voiced' digital delay, that emulates the random peculiarities of tape. I bought it as a live replacement for my tape echoes and Yamaha analog rack delay, and it just doesn't cut it for that.

I guess no effects company these days can sell a digital delay without putting the word analog in there somewhere. You don't see a lot of pedals claiming to have 'clean and pristine digital repeats'

But dude, the closest thing to an sdd 3000 in a pedal, is probably the sdd 3000 pedal:
SDD-3000 PEDAL PROGRAMMABLE DIGITAL DELAY | Effects | KORG

I get it - yeah the Disaster Transport is a lot of things, and it's great - but a replacement for an analog delay or tape delay is NOT one of them in my book. It does that SDD 3000 modulated grainy delay really, really well…

And yeah, I saw the new SDD3000 pedal… Lawd knows I don't need it, but I will have to have it! I collect vintage digital delays so I've already got an SDD3000 rack, SDD2000, SDD1200, PCM42, TC2290, Lexicon Prime Time 93, Ibanez DM2000, SPX90II, etc, etc, etc…
Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
DL4's are great pedals other than a few flaws (some had bad switches/vol drop/huge footprint).
And the typically well thought out user interface that you can't negotiate without referring to the manual ("tweak" and "tweeze"? Gimme a break - what's that supposed to mean?)

And, of course, that famous Line 6 tone quality. Jeez, my cheap old Boss delay sounds better. Easier to use, too.
Old 22nd July 2014

Effectron 2 comes to mind... But they may have been abused units by the time they ended up in Joe Quealy's shop.

-tINY

Old 22nd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

Effectron 2 comes to mind... But they may have been abused units by the time they ended up in Joe Quealy's shop.

-tINY

I wouldn't exactly call the Effectron a pedal, really, but yeah, they sucked. And didn't even do that very well.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SighBorg View Post
Got to be the first no like for the Flashback. Hard to imagine what is actually better than the tc. As for bad, have to be some cheap priced knock off of a cheap pedal. In general you get what you pay for in this life.

I have had the std size Flashback and I liked it better than 4 other units I was trying out at the time. I currently use an X4 Flashback and am quite happy with it. The editor software on those pedals allows for infinite tweaking and customizing the pedal for your personal tastes. The tc has a lot of features that make it a really nice sounding musical delay. The dry signal straight though pass is pretty nice plus switchable bypass/buffer. 7secs of delay time is rather amazing.

So why would one want a terrible low quality delay? Most pedals are pretty good these days. Some I always felt were rather limited and not great have become "classics".
Strymon, Eventide and tc electronics make some of the best delay units on the planet.
I really do not know what the worse one might be, maybe the one this flashback hating chap uses.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The trick with the Quadraverb is the get the Hank Marvin patches. Those are pretty good sounding patches. In fact, I keep a Quadraverb around just to run them now and again.

My favorite digital delay is still the Chandler. As for a terrible one I can't answer that. I had the L6 for a while and it's ok for what it is. A ton of people use it.
Old 24th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
...The editor software on those pedals allows for infinite tweaking and customizing the pedal for your personal tastes.

...rather limited and not great have become "classics".

There are people out there who do not or can not find the sounds they want with too-wide a range of adjustability. For a lot of musicians, just 2-3 settings that sound the way they want makes a "great" unit. If adjustment is wide enough to get ugly sounds, they don't like it....

This applies to compressors in the studio, synths, and guitar pedals (and amps).

-tINY

Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

The Boss RV-3: Digital Reverb/Delay is my least favourite delay pedal. It privileges precision and perfection in the delayed signal, when it is grimey, wonky, pitch-modulated delays that have all sorts of fascinating psycho-acoustic implications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE View Post
First one that came to mind was the Line 6. I remember bringing my vintage Maxxon 900 and Roland 201 to a session I was engineering and the producer insisted on using his DL4 (which was my first introduction to this unit).
I have watched Daniel Lanois playing through a DL4 (analog with modulation setting, similar to a memoryman deluxe) and it sounded great.
Old 25th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
The Boss RV-3: Digital Reverb/Delay is my least favourite delay pedal. It privileges precision and perfection in the delayed signal, when it is grimey, wonky, pitch-modulated delays that have all sorts of fascinating psycho-acoustic implications.

I have watched Daniel Lanois playing through a DL4 (analog with modulation setting, similar to a memoryman deluxe) and it sounded great.
Daniel Lanois could play a tin can with a piece of fishing line and make it sound great.
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Daniel Lanois could play a tin can with a piece of fishing line and make it sound great.
You may be on to something there...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search