The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
24.75 vs 25.5
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Guru

Yes original Gibsons had P-90's a much fatter single coil, but still more detailed than an HB, especially in neck position.

The scale has zip to do with tonal fatness, it only alters the string tension, action and timbre of the instrument.

Today with all kinds of hotter to milder pickups, you'd be better off worrying about which pickups sound best to you and adjust them closer or farther away from the strings.

Take your Les Paul, lower the neck pickup as far as it will go, the tone will be thinner farther away from the strings and actually improve detail.
Old 9th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainrule View Post
it's the scale length for sure, I used to think the same thing you did but after research and experiments saw (heard) first hand it has very very little to do with wood and pickups.

sorry but scale length is the #1 factor for tone. I used to think it was wood and pickups too. They are a factor but not as big an impact as scale.
Sorry but this is just an opinion.....not fact!
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Sorry but this is just an opinion.....not fact!
Guitar Snob: Guitar neck scale length - It IS your TONE!

"1. Grab a 25.5" scale guitar.
2. Tune it down a half step.
3. Put a capo on fret 1.

You have just created a shorter scale guitar. Does it sound drastically different? "
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Guru

I'll put my '85 Shaw PAF loaded LP Studio Standard up against a modern chambered LP and kick its ass! Wood density, pickup quality, pickup height, many more factors affect the overall tone of any guitar.

I had 4 to choose from all same year various pickups, night and day difference in sound and feel.

You can drop a SSH Tele or Strat off the top of an amp stack and it might even stay in tune. An LP falls over in the stand and the neck snaps.

Justify your decision any way you want.
Old 9th August 2014
Quote:
Guitar Snob: Guitar neck scale length - It IS your TONE!

"1. Grab a 25.5" scale guitar.
2. Tune it down a half step.
3. Put a capo on fret 1.

You have just created a shorter scale guitar. Does it sound drastically different? "
It's on the internets, it must be true!

I'm not saying it won't make a difference (as ever with you, you seem to be a little hard of reading. This might be why you find yourself being attacked on all sides!). I'm saying it's not as DRASTIC a difference as switching to single coils (which is one of the primary differences between most fenders and most gibsons - along with body weight of course).

I have a horrendous (in colour) but pretty cool sounding HM Strat at my parents' house - was my main guitar in my teens. It has a split-able humbucker. Amazingly, it sounds totally different when you split the humbucker and change it to a single coil guitar - which is obviously another very easy to test situation. Doesn't mean scale doesn't make a difference - but it's "night and day" between the humbucker/single coil - I think most of us could make an educated guess as to which was being used on a given sound, without a reference point - your example, could you tell what scale was being used by ear, without hearing the other option, and without playing the guitar? possibly not.
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Addict

Too much thinking going on in this thread
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's on the internets, it must be true!
too be honest I was told 24 5/8 has thicker bottom end way before the "www" internet existed. A local luthier told me this in the late 70s

Quote:
I'm not saying it won't make a difference (as ever with you, you seem to be a little hard of reading. This might be why you find yourself being attacked on all sides!). I'm saying it's not as DRASTIC a difference as switching to single coils (which is one of the primary differences between most fenders and most gibsons - along with body weight of course).
All I can say is put a humbucker in a 25.5 scale guitar and compare it to 24.75 and make your own decision after some critical listening. And try that tune down and capo thing on a strat, it sounds beefier

Quote:
I have a horrendous (in colour) but pretty cool sounding HM Strat at my parents' house - was my main guitar in my teens. It has a split-able humbucker. Amazingly, it sounds totally different when you split the humbucker and change it to a single coil guitar - which is obviously another very easy to test situation. Doesn't mean scale doesn't make a difference - but it's "night and day" between the humbucker/single coil - I think most of us could make an educated guess as to which was being used on a given sound, without a reference point - your example, could you tell what scale was being used by ear, without hearing the other option, and without playing the guitar? possibly not.
There is nothing wrong with any scale length per se .... it's just 24 5/8 is a little fatter maybe call it darker? maybe call it muddier? but something is going on. I have a Gibson DC with single coils (p90) and it is a pretty fat sounding guitar. Sounds much fatter than my PRS which is about the same body size and same wood but a 25 scale.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
You can drop a SSH Tele or Strat off the top of an amp stack and it might even stay in tune. An LP falls over in the stand and the neck snaps.
That Gibson trait is strictly based on the counter bore bit they run on the truss cut out after gluing in the fretboard. It only leaves less than 1/8 clearance. That's why for a short time in the 70s and 80s they added the volute to counter this problem.

Fenders have almost 3/8 there
Old 9th August 2014
Quote:
too be honest I was told 24 5/8 has thicker bottom end way before the "www" internet existed. A local luthier told me this in the late 70s
Again - no-one is doubting that is true. The point is that there are more significant differences.

Quote:
All I can say is put a humbucker in a 25.5 scale guitar and compare it to 24.75 and make your own decision after some critical listening. And try that tune down and capo thing on a strat, it sounds beefier
Well, to make a fair comparison you need 2 identical guitars with 2 identical bodies, and the only difference being a switch in the scale, right?

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with any scale length per se .... it's just 24 5/8 is a little fatter maybe call it darker? maybe call it muddier? but something is going on. I have a Gibson DC with single coils (p90) and it is a pretty fat sounding guitar. Sounds much fatter than my PRS which is about the same body size and same wood but a 25 scale.
See first reply. I'm sure all else being equal, the shorter scale would make a "fatter" sound. It's just that there's other factors that are much more significant.
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Guru

A good LP does certain things well, but for my purposes it remains a specialty guitar where my Strat Plus with Golds is my Go To guitar.

The LP is characteristically darker and the Humbuckers break up much easier.

I usually have to switch the LP to middle pickup position for rhythm because
the neck pickup turns to mud too easily if I hit it hard on a power chord.

This is why certain players prefer humbuckers for single note lead breaks.

For my purposes the Strat has more detail and clarity.

Of course, I'm going straight up, using no pedals or FX and going into
top of the line hand wired amps.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search