The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Strymon Editors
Old 14th April 2014
Lives for gear
Strymon Editors

Hey folks,

I know there are a few folk on here who have at least one of the Strymon 'big 3', and we all know that there is no editor software for the pedals from Strymon, although they did release the Librarian a while back.

I've been beavering away over the last few months on a PC Editor (Windows ONLY!!) that supports all 3 pedals, which is now stable enough to let out into the wild and get more people involved in testing / trying it out.

More details on the progress and latest download link can be found here:-
Strymon Editors

List of features:-

- Real-time editing of Timeline, Mobius and BigSky with a midi setup
- Fetch and Push presets to and from the pedal
- Offline editing with save to .syx or xml formats
- Pedal backup and Restore to/from .syx
- EPSet wizard and previews
- Direct Entry of Time/Speed/Decay parameters for the 3 pedals
- BPM mode support
- Preset naming
- Load of other .syx presets (from Librarian or otherwise)
- Lock machine - avoid accidental changes, and filter the pedal presets
- Configurable modes of MIDI synchronisation
- Supports MIDI send 'chunking' for MIDI interfaces that can't send full presets in a single message

I've uploaded a wee image of the Editor in a Mobius preset which should give a feel for how it looks.

It's more or less 'feature-complete' for what I was wanting to achieve, but I'm very interested in what other people might want.

Strymon know all about this - I've been in constant communication with them all through the process, and they are 100% behind my efforts.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Strymon Editors-mobius.png  
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

Coincidentally, I just bought a BigSky (hasn't arrived yet). Thanks for the effort!
Old 15th April 2014
Lives for gear

I've been enjoying Rabea Massaad's YouTube videos of the BigSky. They're pretty in depth, but then again he is an amazing guitarist and producer.
Old 8th July 2014
Here for the gear

Waw ! Nice work !

What's new about the development of the software ? :p

Could be very useful to have that software :D
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seok View Post
Waw ! Nice work !

What's new about the development of the software ? :p

Could be very useful to have that software :D
New features recently added is the ability to share presets online - by uploading & tagging (add your own tags), then search / download by tags, direct to the pedal

E.g. search for presets by Artist - e.g. U2 for delays, or EVH for phaser, or search by specific pedal & machine.

Of course this is dependent on folks uploading presets to share, but the function is there!

Other than that all working, no real issus from the folks that are using it so far
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post
New features recently added is the ability to share presets online - by uploading & tagging (add your own tags), then search / download by tags, direct to the pedal

E.g. search for presets by Artist - e.g. U2 for delays, or EVH for phaser, or search by specific pedal & machine.

Of course this is dependent on folks uploading presets to share, but the function is there!

Other than that all working, no real issus from the folks that are using it so far
Picked up a Mobius recently, so I'll download and try your editor.
What a talented, generous chap !!
Dabbled in assembly language, applescript, HTML, Flash years ago. Coding is not my cup of tea.
I have lots of time for passionate people who gives back.
Cheers
Old 17th July 2014
Here for the gear

Just recieved my big sky this morning.. So nice !!
Where can I download your editor ? That would be so nice to have it ^-^ thanks

Edit : ok... Found it :D ahah, i'll give you as much feedback as i can :p thanks for your software !
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear
One key thing to not here - this is PC only; it should be pretty clear on the Gearpage post, but mentioning it here might save MAc folks going away to checki it out.

It does work on Windows 8 through VMWare on a Mac though :D
Old 18th July 2014
Here for the gear

One more thing to know : how do you connect it ? With a midi->usb connected in one channel or a dual midi->usb connected with left and right channel

If it's the "mono setting", which channel do you use ? Input or output ? Left or right ?

I've to order the cable ^^

Thanks
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
One more thing to know : how do you connect it ? With a midi->usb connected in one channel or a dual midi->usb connected with left and right channel

If it's the "mono setting", which channel do you use ? Input or output ? Left or right ?

I've to order the cable ^^

Thanks
To get the most out of it - e.g. Push / fetch and Real-Time editing, you will need to connect BOTH MIDI outputs

Here is my setup from my Edirol Audio Interface which has MIDI Out and Midi In

Interface MIDI Out -> Big Sky MIDI In
Big Sky MIDI Out -> Interface MIDI In

This allows the app to correctly identify the pedal and both send and receive.

The User Guide that comes with the download has pretty comprehensive instructions on how to setup MIDI options in the Editors application, but here's a quick checklist:-

1. In the Big Sky Globals menu note the MIDI channel number : MIDICH
2. In the Big Sky Globals menu ensure that CC (continuous controller) changes are set to ON : MIDICT
3. In the Big Sky Globals menu ensure that PC (program change) changes are set to ON : MIDIPA

4. In the application, open the MIDI setup form and set MIDI In and Out as per your MIDI USB device

5. Ensure that the Big Sky (if that is the only Strymon you have) is set to the MIDI channel you set up in step 1.

Leave the other settings as default - they are only used if the MIDI interface has problems connecting.

Old 19th July 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post
To get the most out of it - e.g. Push / fetch and Real-Time editing, you will need to connect BOTH MIDI outputs

Here is my setup from my Edirol Audio Interface which has MIDI Out and Midi In

Interface MIDI Out -> Big Sky MIDI In
Big Sky MIDI Out -> Interface MIDI In

This allows the app to correctly identify the pedal and both send and receive.

The User Guide that comes with the download has pretty comprehensive instructions on how to setup MIDI options in the Editors application, but here's a quick checklist:-

1. In the Big Sky Globals menu note the MIDI channel number : MIDICH
2. In the Big Sky Globals menu ensure that CC (continuous controller) changes are set to ON : MIDICT
3. In the Big Sky Globals menu ensure that PC (program change) changes are set to ON : MIDIPA

4. In the application, open the MIDI setup form and set MIDI In and Out as per your MIDI USB device

5. Ensure that the Big Sky (if that is the only Strymon you have) is set to the MIDI channel you set up in step 1.

Leave the other settings as default - they are only used if the MIDI interface has problems connecting.

Ok, and it's not working with an usb ? Or it works but not as good as the full midi setting ?

I don't have a midi interface.. Just have a Virus Ti 2 synth which had midi in/out but don't know if it can works... ^^

Sorry for all that questions..
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Ok, and it's not working with an usb ? Or it works but not as good as the full midi setting ?

I don't have a midi interface.. Just have a Virus Ti 2 synth which had midi in/out but don't know if it can works... ^^

Sorry for all that questions..
No need to apologise!

It needs to be some kind of MIDI interface that has at least 1 input and 1 output device recognised by the Windows OS.

The M-Audio Midisport Uno is the cheapest one I know of that is confirmed to work - only £22 in the UK.

M-AUDIO - Uno - 1-In/1-Out USB Bus-Powered MIDI Interface

For what it's worth this is necessary for the official Strymon Librarian as well.

Hope this helps!
Old 4th September 2014
Here for the gear

First of all: Great stuff mate & thanks for your work!

Would be great if you could use it with all three pedals simultaneously, but I guess thats just a matter of time! Cheers!

Last edited by GreyAegis; 4th September 2014 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: Problem solved
Old 6th September 2014
Here for the gear

Any idea if I can use my dmc3 to connect with this?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search