The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Bass amp for reggae/punk/rock
Old 30th October 2006
Here for the gear

Bass amp for reggae/punk/rock

hey yall,

looking for bass amp recomendations. i play a warwick streamer LX 5 string and play rock reggae. going through an eden nemesis 200 w 4x10 now, sounds decent, not enough power, so time for an upgrade. want a bigger sound, and i'm wondering if i will lose punch with a 15". am considering mesa and eden. any recommendations?

dan
Old 7th November 2006
Here for the gear

FAT BASS

HEy dan, you would lose a bit of punch if u used a 15'' or even an 18'' (mega bass!) but if u used ur 4x10 cab as well, with both connected, u wud have all the punch and fat bass u need! thats wot id do man, if i had the money!

Chris
Old 8th November 2006
Lives for gear

SWR makes a cab w/ a 10"/15"/horn. I've never heard it but FWIW if I were to get another cab, this would be the one i'd look at . . .
Old 22nd November 2006
Gear Nut

For reggae and rock there can be only one: Old ampeg SVT with the 8x10" cab!

dfegad on everything else!
Old 22nd November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-fonk View Post

If you want a loud rig, that's pretty much my recommendation as well, but I also like the Mesa Bass 400.

It's got gobs of headroom.

Oh, I should mention that around here, SVT means "heavy with tubes" because they've put the name SVT on some lame stuff, too. The SVT 1000 is a solid state head, and I didn't like it. There are some good solid state bass amps, though.

http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/index.html

I'm totally interested in the 6X10 cab. Maybe it gets you into 810 territory with a little less weight and size.

The 810 cab weighs in at around 145 pounds. But don't "f" around. Get the real deal.

A sleeper is those eighties Marshall bass amps. I never took them seriously until I did a week with one. Smooooth and super big sounding.
Old 22nd November 2006
Gear Nut

Hej Max!
We could be friends!heh I agree on everything! Yes, it should be "The 300W SVT" all tube model! And yes, the 6x10" cab is looking good as an alternative to
"the backbreaker". And actually, yes, I really like those "dynamic bass system" 90's marshalls. Really nice allround amp. I wore one down from '96-02'. Had to through it out, it's not very roadproof.
The Bob Marley concerts I've seen on TV, they actually had to SVT- rigs (from the 70's) one behind the bassplayer, and one one the other side of the drummer.... Now THAT is a sign of GOOD taste!!

BR T-fonk
Old 23rd November 2006
Lives for gear

A combination of high end tube preamp with a lightweight modern power amp with massive headroom works well for many players.

My main rig is a Kern IP-777 tube preamp and a QSC PLX 3002 power amp along with a rack tuner in a 4 space SKB rack with a power strip on the rear rails.

This gives me a fairly lightweight package with lots of clean power (3kw in bridge mono, a lot less in stereo mode) and warm, tubey tone that I can push for some tube grind. I mix and match Bergantino, Bag End and Schroeder cabs to fit the gig. I generally prefer one or two 15s along with some 10s or 12s to throw the punch throughout the room.

I also have Alembic, Demeter, Ashdown and Aguilar preamps that are almost as nice as the Kern.

I have a Mesa Boogie 400+, and I've had SVT's but I don't feel a need to carry the weight or baby them at gigs when the rack setup sounds as good in the mix.

I use a B-15 in the studio, along with the rack rigs. For small gigs or where I need to walk I use a Walter Woods Ultra High Power miniature head which packs 1200 watts in a great sounding 4 pound package. With one or two tiny Bergantino 112 cabs, it can do some damage.
Old 24th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-fonk View Post

Ampeg is the right brand for sure, but i don't think an SVT is the best ampeg amp for the deep reggae sound. I would more go for an Ampeg B-4R with an 4x10" and one 15" cabinet.

old tube marshall bassamps are also very good, but stack it on a ampeg cabinet, cause the marshall cabinets ain't good.

and your guitar isn't really good for reggae also (more metal/HC style of sound). If you would consider to buy a good reggae bass take a look Fender Jazzbass, Hofner Violin bass or an Steinberger L2. In combination with an ampeg B-4R or Marshall tube basshead on Ampeg cabinets it kills it all.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search