The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
From a Les Paul to my first Strat
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
I agree with this. I own a Strat and the Silhouette Special - the Silhouette Special is better ( it's lighter, sounds better acoustically, has better pickups, and has a much more comfortable neck which allows for more technical playing). The Silhouette Special is like a custom shop strat with a better neck. Of course, the Silhouette Special costs much more than an American Standard so it's not really a fair comparison either.

That being said, I love Strats and I consider them to be the best deal in guitars ( from a price /quality standpoint). Great design and great prices.
The prices definitely seem to have gone up, retail and second hand. A year ago you could find a Silhouette for $700. They seem to be hovering around a grand now used. I don't have a Ball Family Reserve, but I do have a discontinued color and left handed so it might appreciate fairly well.
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Guru

I just set mine to good and snug, but I also-pre bend the string once I have the right length of string through the post hole.

You may have a tuner that wasn't cut right or missed final dressing.

The trouble is you don't want to get any sanding dust or grit in there trying to smooth it out.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Found the culprit. There was a burr in the eyelet. I just turned the machine head a few times so I was then threading the sting through the opposite eye from the one with the burr, tightened the locker just snug, and no issues so far. What a pain in the ass! Now off to buy more strings.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Favorite View Post
You can have all the guitars you want, but you only need a Telecaster.
Tele got twang, but don't shred metal.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avening View Post
Found the culprit. There was a burr in the eyelet. I just turned the machine head a few times so I was then threading the sting through the opposite eye from the one with the burr, tightened the locker just snug, and no issues so far. What a pain in the ass! Now off to buy more strings.
Good luck with it, check into that LSR roller nut for it, they're pretty nice too.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Nut

Made the jump several years back to an american deluxe strat with a maple fretboard. Love that maple. I deactivated the s-1 switch to utilize a cut off switch. But in general I wanted more grit and bite in my sound. Through my twin 65, it just sounds like butter. I still keep a les paul hanging around for a beefier sound, but my strat gets all the love.
Old 13th March 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspeed View Post
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Guru

Just effing around, but this is a USA Tele through 4 EL34's Hot Cat 100R.
The master is only at 11:00 :-)

https://soundcloud.com/ogredaddy/cur...-meets-bad-cat
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
Oddly enough, I basically got my first Stratocaster type guitar recently. I got a G&L Legacy in trade for an amp that I didn't want to ship, and quickly fell in love with the guitar and kept it. I think now I'm more or less covered on guitars.

I should be, anyway. I have nineteen of the things. I would like another Gibson ES model (I have a 330) and a Precision Bass, and always am on the lookout for Melody Makers.
They really are like shoes for women, aren't they? One is enough to get around with, two or three will cover the bases for most occasions, but to really have "the" guitar for a particular performance of a particular song, you need a roomful.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Guru

Capo a Strat or Tele on the 4th or 7th fret, standard tune otherwise.
Hit a few simple chords and open your ears to the Keefer Zone!
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was gonna post John 5 or Tom Morello, but that would be too easy. So, this is just a regular youtube dude having some fun, sideways:

Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Favorite View Post
I was gonna post John 5 or Tom Morello, but that would be too easy. So, this is just a regular youtube dude having some fun, sideways:

Cool video, nice chops & tone, but I stand by what I said.
I love my Telecaster too, but it don't do metal.

Old 14th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Cool video, nice chops & tone, but I stand by what I said.
I love my Telecaster too, but it don't do metal.

That must be the Australia New Zealand Release!
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Strats with buckers count?

Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Tons of people in the professional metal scene are using teles or Fender something instead of the usual ibanez/esp/jackson/schecter . I thought it started as a kind of ironic joke, but now they are everywhere.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

I get it, some dudes are using Telecaster's outside of their element, that's cool. Just remember..... "Lightning Boy" couldn't beat "Jack Butler" playing metal with his old blond Tele, he had to resort to trying something else.

Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Now you're talking!
Old 17th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted314 View Post
Tons of people in the professional metal scene are using teles or Fender something instead of the usual ibanez/esp/jackson/schecter . I thought it started as a kind of ironic joke, but now they are everywhere.
It doesn't surprise me at all. A basic Tele or Strat is simply a better instrument than most of those super strats. Strum an Esp or Ibanez acoustically next to strat or tele - they don't hold up( generally).
Old 17th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
It doesn't surprise me at all. A basic Tele or Strat is simply a better instrument than most of those super strats. Strum an Esp or Ibanez acoustically next to strat or tele - they don't hold up( generally).
Most metal players are used to 24 jumbo frets though which is a bit different, especially if going to a Mustang!
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Glenn Tipton didn't mind playing a Strat or a Tele.
Old 21st March 2014
Here for the gear

What a beauty, Congrats!
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Head

Just bought my first strat after many Gibsons. I like the body shape and light weight of the strat. Time will tell which I keep playing and which sits in hte case!
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Guru

I have everything put away because I'm dog sitting a big clumsy long tailed dog so the LP stays out of harms way.
The necks can snap so easy if they get knocked over just the wrong way.
Working live the LP came out for specific songs, but then right back in the road case.

In a club setting with people moving around the stage a Fender with maple
or maple/rosewood neck is far less likely to suffer any damage that wouldn't just give it more cosmetic mojo.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Just picked up a new head this morning, so was trying it out with the strat and tele. Still really digging these Texas Special single coils ... crazy good bite in the neck position.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search