The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
From a Les Paul to my first Strat
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
From my vintage Ampegs, my Hot Cat 100R to my Reeves Custom Jimmy,
the guitar just shines through every one of them.

My friend John does things with my Strat Plus I can't do here in this quick demo. Straight Up No Pedals or FX..
If I've told you once, I've told you a hundred times, I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY FOR A REEVES RIGHT NOW!
Old 9th March 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted314 View Post
My dream guitar is an Albert Lee but they won't make them left handed.
I was upstairs @ EB recently and played a few they had in the jam room. There was an old, coral colored Albert Lee that practically floated. According to the designer, everyone who touches the thing wants to take it home.

The new model with the solid rosewood neck is very nice, too.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
I was upstairs @ EB recently and played a few they had in the jam room. There was an old, coral colored Albert Lee that practically floated. According to the designer, everyone who touches the thing wants to take it home.

The new model with the solid rosewood neck is very nice, too.
The rosewood neck is BEAUTIFUL. One of my favorite features on the Albert Lee.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Guru

heh

Need to get you over here to try it for yourself.

I'm glad I got mine when I did because fun money is scarce now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
If I've told you once, I've told you a hundred times, I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY FOR A REEVES RIGHT NOW!
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Wait until you get Telecaster fever. You only cure that one way.
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
heh

Need to get you over here to try it for yourself.

I'm glad I got mine when I did because fun money is scarce now.
I think the body density in a good LP does matter.

The heavier body also helps the guitar balance better on the strap than say
a typical SG with deck drop.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

This thread reminds me....I have a couple of Les Paul/Strat questions and I'll reveal a bit of my stupidity... even though I've been playing guitar for a bazillion years.

I've owned I think 7 Les Pauls in my life. I bought my two customs off the shelf at a store in 1972 and 1974... at the time, paying the going dealer cost of about $400 each. Yeah, they weighed a ton.... but they were all like that then.

I've checked out a few chambered Les Pauls and they just don't feel right to me since I'm used to the weight...... but.... I keep picking up an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro and it looks and feels just like my Gibsons.... in fact, every time I see one, I look at it real close and I just can't see a diff between it and my Gibsons except for the logo... the binding looks the same, the weight feels the same, the knobs/pickguard/switch "feel" like they're in the same place as my Gibsons.....what's the take on those? I must be missing something (hence, my stupidity about guitar comparisons)

I've owned two strats. I never liked the necks or the overall feel of strats at all.... I just can't get used to them. But I bought them because I sometimes needed the sound in the studio. I also bought those in the 70s and paid the going dealer cost of something like $300 each at the time. I sold them both and am contemplating buying another. But unlike the previous century where there was "one" strat or whatever, there are now 120 models. I checked out one of the $500 models a couple of months ago, and didn't detect a big diff in the feel of that and my 70s strats...... what am I missing about that?

Also, maple necks were standard back when I bought my strats. What's the deal with the other types now? Do they really feel different when playing? Or is it subtle stuff?

I'm always envious when someone says they fall in love with strats after owning Les Pauls. I just don't know what it is about the necks that feel so uncomfortable to me when playing.
Old 9th March 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
Wait until you get Telecaster fever. You only cure that one way.
So true.
Old 9th March 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
....I've checked out a few chambered Les Pauls and they just don't feel right to me since I'm used to the weight...... but.... I keep picking up an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro and it looks and feels just like my Gibsons.... in fact, every time I see one, I look at it real close and I just can't see a diff between it and my Gibsons except for the logo... the binding looks the same, the weight feels the same, the knobs/pickguard/switch "feel" like they're in the same place as my Gibsons.....what's the take on those? I must be missing something (hence, my stupidity about guitar comparisons)

Also, maple necks were standard back when I bought my strats. What's the deal with the other types now? Do they really feel different when playing? Or is it subtle stuff?

I'm always envious when someone says they fall in love with strats after owning Les Pauls. I just don't know what it is about the necks that feel so uncomfortable to me when playing.

While I've never played an Epi LP that could stand entirely toe to toe with a $2500+ Gibson, I have encountered a few that were remarkably close. The 1960 Tribute Version 1 that had the 50s neck and American guts/hardware, a Slash SB model and the short-lived Classic (MIK) from the mid 2000s. The 1960, was the most convincing, IMO.

When it comes to the Gibson Studio and Tribute lines, one of the units I mentioned above might well tip the scales in favor of the Epi.

I've always remembered a line from the movie "Jeremiah Johnson". Redford's character comes across an abandoned .30 caliber Hawkins rifle. He states that he'd always wanted a .50, but "by God, it was a Hawkins!". I think of classic Gibsons in much the same way. For me, the cachet of owning a nice Gibson LP is unique, and I've succumbed more than once. You can't get it any other way, but if that's not a deal breaker, there are myriad options.

I've owned vintage LPs and the newer, weight-relieved models. As a purist, I'd rather have the old boat anchor. In practice, though, I don't find it to be a huge deal, one way or the other (except in a bar brawl).

Buy and play what feels good to you.

That would be my advice regarding the Fenders and your maple/rosewood question, as well.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
I just don't know what it is about the necks that feel so uncomfortable to me when playing.
Do you think the scale length is playing a part in it?
Even tho you tell yourself ..it isn`t
I had soft "V" neck Strat that i had to let go.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Goes without saying that a guitar is a tool and depending on the job, you need the right tool. I am a GIBSON guy mostly but have my share of FENDERS in the toolbox. Probably my favorite is a mid 80s MIJ Tele Reissue.... not to say a good old AMERICAN standard Strat is closely behind.

But to say I love my Gibsons so much I won't play a FENDER or visa versa isn't logical. I will agree that for me Fenders are easier to play (neck configuration) but I still like the sound of GIBSON as my go to sound.

Anyway, give the FENDER "newness" factor some time and I bet you will go back to Gibson again and use the best tool for the job at hand once you get there.

Jim
Old 10th March 2014
Welcome to the club, I was a long time LP player, like since Feb 1973, which was when I bought my 69 LP Custom used. I still have that guitar but have added to the collection For a Strat, I have a nice ash Strat with Fralin vintage hots on it. The main things that took me a minute to get used to was no pitch [angle] on the bridge and I had to move my right hand forward, I do a lot of right hand picking and I kept inadvertently turning the guitar down.
Old 10th March 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
Goes without saying that a guitar is a tool and depending on the job, you need the right tool. I am a GIBSON guy mostly but have my share of FENDERS in the toolbox. Probably my favorite is a mid 80s MIJ Tele Reissue.... not to say a good old AMERICAN standard Strat is closely behind.

But to say I love my Gibsons so much I won't play a FENDER or visa versa isn't logical. I will agree that for me Fenders are easier to play (neck configuration) but I still like the sound of GIBSON as my go to sound.

Anyway, give the FENDER "newness" factor some time and I bet you will go back to Gibson again and use the best tool for the job at hand once you get there.

Jim
I think there's an echo in here......
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Head

Watch out for the Fender fever. It starts with teles and strats and then can quickly spread to strange offset places.

Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

You can have all the guitars you want, but you only need a Telecaster.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smjenkins View Post
Watch out for the Fender fever. It starts with teles and strats and then can quickly spread to strange offset places.

You mean like a... Warmoth offset strat? I'm building one

thank you guitar gearslutz! - someone asked for pics
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for replies! You dudes have some seriously nice guitars. I wish! Nice rigs, too. I've got two pretty standard issue heads to play out of (JCM800 2204, and a Mesa Stiletto), and three cabs (Mesa 4x12, Marshall JCM800 Lead, and JCM900). Nothing crazy!

I do know the Tele fever very well. Been playing an American Standard Telecaster HH (with the S1 switch) for almost 10 years now. That guitar is awesome, and I totally understand why many people stop their search with Telecaster. I also have an old, un-chambered Studio Les Paul that I play as well. For me, it was always the Stratocaster that got swept aside ... I thought I had all those bases covered with the Tele, and the two Les Paul's i had. But man, was I wrong. I know I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but this new Strat has tone in it I've been looking for for years. It's all in the dirty cleans and the Texas Specials. Twang for days.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avening View Post
Hey guys,

So I've been a Gibson guy for quite a while. Few Les Paul's (standards and studios mainly), and SG's have been where most of my experience lies. Was in a local music store the the other day and randomly picked up a Stratocaster to play. I've never been a Strat guy at all ... never liked the way they looked or how they felt. Was very un-Gibson.

After playing the Strat (was an American standard), I couldn't stop thinking about the damn thing! So I put up an ad in my local Kijiji and sacrificed one of my Les Paul's to see if I could grab a decent Strat on a trade. Low and behold, I got a bite and ended up trading straight up for my new axe.

It's a 97 USA Lonestar with Texas specials, and an SD pearly gates on the bridge. Beautiful shape. Brought it home, hardtailed it, and installed a brand new set of locking tuners and some .11 Elixirs.

I have to say, this guitar absolutely smokes almost every Les Paul I've ever played, just on the range of tone available. Unreal. Total converted Strat guy now. I want/need more of them!!

Anyone else made the jump?
I have a Highway-1 (pre-CBS styling) with some GFS Greybottoms and a few other tricks (upgraded saddles, decked trem), and it was my main player until I made some tweaks to my Epiphone LP ('50s wiring scheme with some nicer film caps brightened it up considerably, even with the stock mudbuckers; a set of SD Jazz pickups are next on my to-do list for this axe).

I vacillate back and forth between these two, but overall I prefer the Strat, mainly for its ergonomics. The tighter fretboard radius and belly/forearm cuts just make it feel like your favorite pair of jeans. The LP got much better after its last trip to the workbench, and there are just some sounds you only get out of an LP, but it is still a 2-inch-thick slab of mahogany, built for looks over ergos. It's main plus is that the fretboard is virtually identical to my Taylor's, so apart from string tension it's easy to switch between these two.

My "dream axe", which is for now still on the drawing board, is an HSH Strat with a pair of P-Rails pickups, a middle pickup TBD (Maybe a Classic Stack Plus), and some moderately switch-freak electronics allowing me to select any single coil on the pickguard along with virtually all combinations. Average cost from the various times I've built it up in Warmoth's shopping cart, $1300 if I don't go crazy on special options for the neck, $1600 if I go with a flame or quilt neck.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Guru

Its great having the freedom to choose between several unique guitars for the things they do best and the way they fit the material.

Far more versatile than buy several of the same basic guitar.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

The only thing that bugs me about Stratocasters is the location of the knobs.

I always hit the Volume knob when Im playing..I keep meaning to try and fashion a soft rubber washer under the Vol knob so it won't move as easily when whacked.

I went the opposite direction recently..Always been a single coil person (Strat and then Tele) and recently jumped on a 90's Les Paul Studio fixer-upper with nice pickups (hummbucks, 1st set ever)..loving it. SO much different and that's always fun.

I keep going back to the Telecaster tho..something about it I can't resist. The range of sounds available with the combo of Tone Knob & Amp settings is astounding to me..

I do agree about playability..getting used to the Les Paul is interesting but Im finding my way to it. Totally different.
Old 10th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago View Post
The only thing that bugs me about Stratocasters is the location of the knobs.

I always hit the Volume knob when Im playing..I keep meaning to try and fashion a soft rubber washer under the Vol knob so it won't move as easily when whacked.
Yep same for me so much so that for a while I was going to mod my Strat to 1 volume 1 tone placed where the 2 tone pots are. Then I just modified my right hand position, easier and I think a better technique for playing a Strat.
Old 10th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted314 View Post
A Silhouette Special is your friend. It's like a Strat... buy better in every way. Sorry Fender guys.
I agree with this. I own a Strat and the Silhouette Special - the Silhouette Special is better ( it's lighter, sounds better acoustically, has better pickups, and has a much more comfortable neck which allows for more technical playing). The Silhouette Special is like a custom shop strat with a better neck. Of course, the Silhouette Special costs much more than an American Standard so it's not really a fair comparison either.

That being said, I love Strats and I consider them to be the best deal in guitars ( from a price /quality standpoint). Great design and great prices.
Old 10th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Favorite View Post
You can have all the guitars you want, but you only need a Telecaster.
You mean YOU only need a telecaster, I love my tele, but I need the other guitars I own also.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
I agree with this. I own a Strat and the Silhouette Special - the Silhouette Special is better ( it's lighter, sounds better acoustically, has better pickups, and has a much more comfortable neck which allows for more technical playing). The Silhouette Special is like a custom shop strat with a better neck. Of course, the Silhouette Special costs much more than an American Standard so it's not really a fair comparison either.

That being said, I love Strats and I consider them to be the best deal in guitars ( from a price /quality standpoint). Great design and great prices.
Actually my Favorite Strat is my '82 Ibanez Roadstar...the neck!! Damn, that neck..very sweet in every way.

..sounds better than my actual strat too. Guess I just got lucky for $150. : )
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Guru

Ideally, I would have some version of the following.

A Fender Strat
A Fender Tele
Gibson solid body Les Paul with PAF's
Hollow Body or Semi Hollow PAF's or TV Jones, Toasters.
Something with P-90s and maybe a Bigsby.
Rickenbacker Electric 12 String
Guild Acoustic 12 String

Add to that Something Fender Voiced, Something Marshall Voiced, Something Hiwatt Voiced, Something Vox Voiced, Something Tweed.

Over a lifetime of music, these are not unrealistic goals.

I see them as benchmark tools of the trade.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
You mean YOU only need a telecaster, I love my tele, but I need the other guitars I own also.
Yes, hyperbolic love.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Oddly enough, I basically got my first Stratocaster type guitar recently. I got a G&L Legacy in trade for an amp that I didn't want to ship, and quickly fell in love with the guitar and kept it. I think now I'm more or less covered on guitars.

I should be, anyway. I have nineteen of the things. I would like another Gibson ES model (I have a 330) and a Precision Bass, and always am on the lookout for Melody Makers.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

Found the first issue with this setup ... one of the brand new locking tuners is snapping stings left and right. Broke one right at the eyelet while tuning (brand new string), re-strung, tried to tune and it snapped the new one in seconds in the exact same place. Only hand tightened the lock, and no sign of any burrs or anything. WTF

Anyone with similar issues? They're the brushed aluminum Fender branded locking tuners ...
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Guru

You're saying the string breaks right where it goes through the tuning post hole?

There's gotta be a sharp edge in there somewhere or you're tightening the lock to the point of crimping the string to the point of breakage.

It could be a bad string, try a spare.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

^ Yep, broke two strings at the same place in the span of 1 minute. Didn't even get to tune the second one as it snapped during the process. Going to look in to it further, as I can't see any sign of a burr on the eyelet. Going to string up a few sacrificial ones to see if it continues to happen. I ran out of .28's, and elixirs are expensive.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search