The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Special Strat wiring. (3 way/push pull)
Old 3rd March 2014
Special Strat wiring. (3 way/push pull)

HI EVERYBODY!! (Dr Nick voice)

Im working on a Custom wiring for my HSS strat.

My GOAL is to have a 3 way Tele switch to select N/NB/B, with the first tone knob controlling the neck pickup just like a standard strat.

In addition, I replaced the first tone pot with a Push/Pull, so when pulled, the middle pickup is activated. and the switch selects NM/NMB/MB. I want this to be controlled by the SECOND tone pot, just like a standard strat. I would prefer than the middle pickup is still controlled by the master volume, but otherwise be independent of the 3 way switch.

I enclosed a Diagram in case that was confusing....

So far I have installed the 3 way switch and the push pull. Wiring the push/pull as the kill for the mid pickup was the easy part.... But so far, the biggest obstacle I have encountered is wiring independent tone circuits for the mid and neck pickups while having the master volume control both.... I was able to make one knob as a master tone, but I dont want that.... I think I need a second tone cap.....
Attached Thumbnails
Special Strat wiring. (3 way/push pull)-wiring.jpg  
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

You can use the stock wiring as a basis for the tone circuit GuitarNuts.com - Stock Stratocaster Wiring

The mid and neck tone circuits needs to be switched in when active. Switching the mid would be easy using the free side of the DPDT push pull. The issue is that you now have a situation where the mid tone and the neck tone would be working with (or against) each other in 2/3 of the possible positions with the mid engaged.

You may be a lot happier with having a "mid in" tone control and a "mid out" tone control. This can be easily switched using the push pull.

Andy
Old 4th March 2014
I dont mind that.... most of the time ill be blending pickups, they will be on 10 anyway. Who knows, having the neck on 0 and the middle on 10 might be a neat sound.

I just want the tone knobs to work just like a regular strat, but with the ability to remove the middle pickup entirely, so i can blend the neck and bridge.
Old 4th March 2014
and isnt there the same tone conflict you are talking about in the standard strat setup?
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
and isnt there the same tone conflict you are talking about in the standard strat setup?
only in position 4, which didn't exist until people started trying to place the 3-way switch where it wasn't designed to go (positions now known as pos 2 and 4).

You could wire the 3 way, put the neck tone pot hot to the neck pickup hot and switch the mid pickup tone hot to the push pull switch.

The cold of both tone pots goes to the cap which is grounded on it's other side.

Andy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search