The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using a spring reverb tank on its own?
Old 19th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by echodeck View Post
Read this substitute funk for reggae. http://www.funkydown.com/downloads/****ty2.pdf it's a great article. You need a desk tho'. And check the accutronics site to make sure you order a line level tank.
Damn, BUMP for this article!! Gabe is the MAN. Thanks for making my week
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by echodeck View Post
About 1500 ohms is the biggest input impedance, it works pretty well. It's quite lofi sometimes because of the impedance mismatch. I've found its good to get a cheap limiter on there as well, especially if your playing it with a bottle neck or smacking it for the big dubby stuff, it's a lot of fun for not much money ;-) Billm -- Accutronics reverb tank codes the link is the reverb codes chart.
Oh Man, I lost my copy of this part number config doc.
Thank You Thank You Thank You.

I would recommend some kind of tone control in the driver chain as well. My tank needed quite a bit of cut on the high end to sound right.

Afterthought PS: Wouldn't a limiter deprive you of that "poink" on the impulse sounds? I mean, maybe you don't want that but maybe you do.

Last edited by lame pseudonym; 20th March 2014 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: Afterthought PS
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Head

It was just set as a hard limiter, the band I was working with had it as part of their setup. Keys run into a mixer and the spring on an aux. when we were rehearsing it was too much when he hit it hard or played it with the bottle neck. I had to ride the fader pretty hard. There was no money for me to tour with them. So I suggested using the limiter because whenever he hit that my instinct was to pull the fader . Insert the limiter on the fx return and adjust the release accordingly to keep the . It had the added benefit of really tightening it up as well.
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Head

FWIW,

Bitmo has a Epiphone Valve Jr. -> spring reverb conversion kit

Products | BitMo Mod Kits
Old 4th April 2014
Lives for gear

I just ordered this speaker attenuator from Weber (along with a pair of speakers for my Vibroverb): https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/minimass.htm

This is somewhat relevant to the OP so bear with me...

The primary reason I'm getting it is for the same reason any other guitarist purchases a speaker attenuator - so I can get the tubes cooking while keeping the amp at a moderate volume. However, they offer an optional balanced line out for this unit, so it occurred to me that it will enable me use my Vibroverb as a line level spring reverb. Of course, the signal will run through all of the circuitry of the amp, which might color the sound too much, but then again it might sound great. I'll be able to control the amount of tube gain since it's a tube amp which could be cool. I suppose in order to facilitate this plan I'll need to find a way to convert a line level signal to a high impedance guitar level signal in order to match the input of the Vibroverb. Any suggestions? I assume I need the same device that one would use for reamping a guitar signal. What would that be?

Has anyone else tried doing this?
Old 4th April 2014
Gear Head

A reamp box would do it, you could take the line out or mic the speaker How to Build a DIY Reamping Box try this link the guy has a kit available but there's also a bill of materials. There's a whole lot of reamping options available now.
This also came to my attention the other day NP2C-T10AA - Neutrik I haven't had chance to try it yet so can't comment.
Old 4th April 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks! The Neutrik impedance converting jack (under $30) looks to be just the thing for the job (at least the simplest and cheapest thing for the job). I suppose it will also enable me to reamp, which I've never tried, but it's so simple to do it might be a good idea to record the dry signal of an electric guitar just in case I want to try some different amplified sounds after the fact.

I'm excited about the prospect of using the line out of a speaker attenuator connected to my Vibroverb in order to use the amps reverb, tube circuitry, and tone controls to manipulate a line level signal. I'm not sure how useful it will be, but I'm dying to try it. The MiniMass50 speaker attenuator (with optional line out jack) will arrive in a couple of weeks. I'll get that Neutrik impedance converting jack on order and make a custom cable, then I'll be ready to go. I'll post clips once I have a chance to try it out.
Old 4th April 2014
Gear Head

Let me know how you get on, I've found a use for all the guitar pedals I've collected over the years through reamping, or just using them on sends from the board, I've sold quite a lot of outboard stuff because I can get close with guitar pedals. It's cool that you can play them like you would any other instrument. Hope it works out for you dude.
Old 5th April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato View Post
I just ordered this speaker attenuator from Weber (along with a pair of speakers for my Vibroverb): https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/minimass.htm

This is somewhat relevant to the OP so bear with me...

The primary reason I'm getting it is for the same reason any other guitarist purchases a speaker attenuator - so I can get the tubes cooking while keeping the amp at a moderate volume. However, they offer an optional balanced line out for this unit, so it occurred to me that it will enable me use my Vibroverb as a line level spring reverb. Of course, the signal will run through all of the circuitry of the amp, which might color the sound too much, but then again it might sound great. I'll be able to control the amount of tube gain since it's a tube amp which could be cool. I suppose in order to facilitate this plan I'll need to find a way to convert a line level signal to a high impedance guitar level signal in order to match the input of the Vibroverb. Any suggestions? I assume I need the same device that one would use for reamping a guitar signal. What would that be?

Has anyone else tried doing this?
There's a good chance you might not need anything if your line out is unbalanced. A line level unbalanced output should have no trouble at all driving a high impedance guitar input as long as you don't send too hot a level. If your line out is balanced you'll need a matching transformer.
Old 5th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
There's a good chance you might not need anything if your line out is unbalanced. A line level unbalanced output should have no trouble at all driving a high impedance guitar input as long as you don't send too hot a level. If your line out is balanced you'll need a matching transformer.
It is balanced (TRS), but couldn't I just make a custom cable? Or just use a mono cable?
Old 8th April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato View Post
It is balanced (TRS), but couldn't I just make a custom cable? Or just use a mono cable?
I don't know the exact circuit but there's a good chance the mono cable will work, at the cost of about 6dB of level.

Try it.
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
I don't know the exact circuit but there's a good chance the mono cable will work, at the cost of about 6dB of level.

Try it.
I'll give that a try to see if it works (I think it will). I may experiment in the future with reamping, so it wouldn't be a bad idea if went ahead and made a cable using the 1/4" Neutrik impedance matching plug on one end (NP2C-T10AA - Neutrik).
Old 25th September 2014
Thread wake up question:

COuld I use my ART PRO MPA as send and receive to a tank? You could use one chanel for in and one for out. Both have variable impedance and two stage gain......
Matt
ooops...stupid question, upon more reading and thought...please disregard....
Old 2nd June 2015
Wanted to share how I've been powering my Hammond and Accutronics spring reverbs in a stereo config. It's a bit of a recipe but I'm definitely hitting the right voltage into the tank and accommodating the output in a way that's resulting in a useable re-amped verb.

I've been splitting the headphone output of my vintage Marantz hifi stereo to the two tanks with a stereo 1/4" cable to dual mono RCA in the verb. More than enough power. The tracks/stems I choose to send to the tank are hi-passed at around 200hz and limited hard(Waves L2), about -6db of reduction max, output -.2dbfs at the converter, and I boost a moderately wide band of the fundamental of the track/stem. I experimented with the makeup stage and none of my DI boxes (even when used on input) have a meaningful effect--I don't have a transformer around that will properly match the in or output so I make up the gain with 2 channel strips of my DDA "interface" console in the order of 65db, notch out 6db of 10-12k with the upper band fixed Q parametric and roll off 3db max with the shelf.

Planning on rebuilding my DI's and am therefore doing a transformer buy. Looking forward to making a proper inline impedance matching device for this setup, but for now I've been able to get some spooky stereo stoner doomer sounds by using my ears and paying hard attention to the output gain staging. You can hear how it was used on vocals here:

fogcult.bandcamp.com/track/dark-ones-2 (vox in at 02:03)

yaymoonstruck.bandcamp.com/track/judgey (vox in at 00:16)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search