The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
bar stool for playing guitar sitting Dynamics Plugins
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

bar stool for playing guitar sitting

...Has anybody here adopted this solution? It seems promising to me.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edoardo View Post
Most people stood up when I was playing coffee houses and open mics solo, but a solid, tip free bar stool is fine too. Better than a lower chair.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why do you ask? Plenty of people use bar stools
Fender® Electro Lounge 30" Barstool | Barstools & Pub Tables | Fender® Store
GuitarCenter
Attached Thumbnails
bar stool for playing guitar sitting-fender-acoustic-barstool.jpg  
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Guru

I just found it easier to control vocals standing as well as being able to move
closer and farther away from the mics as needed.

Friends I respect said it had a more professional appearance to stand and deliver.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

I don't sing, I just find it difficult to keep the guitar tilted right way sitting. a foot rest looks ridiculous if you aren't playing a Spanish. But bar stools have that circular metal reinforcemente that may suit a guitarist's needs in some cases.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
Thanks a lot, in fact I was looking for bar stools with the EXTERNAL metal reinforcement, so you can comfortably put your left heel on that.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Guru

Maybe it's because I'm in studios so much, maybe it's because I put the guitar on the "wrong" leg, but bar stools are too tall for me. They're handy for keeping a beverage on, though.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Maybe it's because I'm in studios so much, maybe it's because I put the guitar on the "wrong" leg, but bar stools are too tall for me. They're handy for keeping a beverage on, though.
There is NO wrong leg, but I've played in the academic position for years. I still prefer it. The neck is exactly where it's supposed to be. I can play a large-bodied acoustic putting it between the legs and thus the neck is not horizontal anymore. Most stools are too tall for me too, their "footrest" is too distant to bend the knee enough.

That's why I asked here for guitarist-friendly stools. YMMV
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
There is NO wrong leg, but I've played in the academic position for years. I still prefer it. The neck is exactly where it's supposed to be. I can play a large-bodied acoustic putting it between the legs and thus the neck is not horizontal anymore. Most stools are too tall for me too, their "footrest" is too distant to bend the knee enough.

That's why I asked here for guitarist-friendly stools. YMMV
No need to yell. No need to defend your choice of leg.

I like both feet flat on the floor.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
No need to yell. No need to defend your choice of leg.

I like both feet flat on the floor.
I wasn't yelling, nor defending my choice, I was defending yours
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
I wasn't yelling, nor defending my choice, I was defending yours
Then... thank you!
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
^ This

Highly recommended for the playing room/studio
For me, it doubles as a footrest when relaxing on the Aeron, listening to music or watching the Sprint Cup/Cricket/Snooker
Attached Thumbnails
bar stool for playing guitar sitting-barstool.jpg  
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

I used a cushioned bar stool like the ones shown in my studio for a long time.....

......until I got tired of editing out those dad gum cushion squeaks from my soft acoustic guitar tracks.

For live use...definitely. In the studio....a straight back wood chair.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
I used a cushioned bar stool like the ones shown in my studio for a long time.....

......until I got tired of editing out those dad gum cushion squeaks from my soft acoustic guitar tracks.

For live use...definitely. In the studio....a straight back wood chair.
You made my day old friend! heh
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

before buying a novelty stool with your favorite brand logo, consider getting the real deal, no creaking, super comfortable and gearslut worthy (3 heights available)

Tower Seats | Roc N Soc

Your first acoustic session's time savings due to no recorded creaks and squeaks will pay for the difference in cost between this and a regular stool.

I have no affiliation with Rocn`Soc but we have 4 thrones at the studio and I love 'em.

Andy
Old 4th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post

Friends I respect said it had a more professional appearance to stand and deliver.
don't tell Robert Fripp that.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

No farts or creaks emanating from my novelty stool ( maybe from a farty. creaky old sitter ). These guys are all from OEM's.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deng View Post
^ This

Highly recommended for the playing room/studio
For me, it doubles as a footrest when relaxing on the Aeron, listening to music or watching the Sprint Cup/Cricket/Snooker
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysexguy View Post
before buying a novelty stool with your favorite brand logo, consider getting the real deal, no creaking, super comfortable and gearslut worthy (3 heights available)

Tower Seats | Roc N Soc

Your first acoustic session's time savings due to no recorded creaks and squeaks will pay for the difference in cost between this and a regular stool.

I have no affiliation with Rocn`Soc but we have 4 thrones at the studio and I love 'em.

Andy
Thanks for the suggestions

Anyway, I didn't explain myself thoroughly.

I am looking for a bar-stool-alike stool with that round footrest high and bulging enough so that to put one heel on that I'll have to bend my knee enough to make it double as a classical guitar footstool. (one foot is higher than the other, the knee is bent, the guitar's body rests on both legs, thus the guitar is sloped with respect to the ground without needing to be standing nor to physically lift the neck)

The construction of the "fav brand" stools looks much more promising than my average bar stool. The fact that guitarist studio stools even exist is great news to me. But is there anything built with the "footstool" thing in the mind of the designer? Can they be used that way?

Thanks a lot
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh yeah. Old as the hills. When you need to prop your guitar on your knee but stay at the same relative height as others, its the thing to do.

The natural follow-up question is, why not just stand? If the answer is because you can play better seated, that just means you need more practice playing while standing. Practice the way you gig.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liko View Post
Oh yeah. Old as the hills. When you need to prop your guitar on your knee but stay at the same relative height as others, its the thing to do.

The natural follow-up question is, why not just stand? If the answer is because you can play better seated, that just means you need more practice playing while standing. Practice the way you gig.
I actually play much better standing, cause I can slant the guitar as much as I want. What I don't find comfortable at all is having the neck parallel to the ground when sitting. So I want to put the left foot somewhere higher. Practising everyday standing is unfeasible
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
It worked for my situation.
I was working both voice and guitar mics and preferred standing.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Gotta stand to move, gotta move to groove. Well, except the drummer, of course...
Old 4th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Fripp is a magnificent musician, but he's not exactly known for being one go the more entertaining artists of our time. Not to be judgemental, but if you can't be bothered to stand for a gig, perhaps there's a better man for the job.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

I have a bar stool in the corner of my room just for guitar. I can't be bothered with an office chair with no armrest so I switch them around come noodle time.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Just keep in mind these guidelines are mostly guitar centric and that priorities change when you are singing the lead vocal too.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. So you are implying I should go back to school I guess? I don't get this.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks. So you are implying I should go back to school I guess? I don't get this.
Nope, get out there and get as much live experience as you can.
Test your own audience, see how your set goes over and adjust accordingly.

If I'm up on a stage I don't want to be background music.

I have over 900+ professional live performances under my belt and always stood up, playing bass and then when I switched over to playing acoustic.

I had to get over my fear of taking on lead vocals while playing and keep it all together to prove to myself that it was possible.

I also wasn't playing covers when I was up there solo, it was all originals.

If I were doing background music at a local vineyard or garden party,
I'd probably sit down at least part of the time, but in a noisy club, stand and deliver.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

I've already said playing standing up is not a problem, especially live.

Practising several hours a day standing is. Practising sitting with the neck "somewhere else" is a problem too, unless I were doing beach party strumming...
Even the link, for what it counts, says that virtuosos need to keep the guitar in the certain way, classical or metal shredders. I'm no virtuoso, but those positions are scientifically sought-after and a thousand times more practical, that's physical.

I don't see any of them charismatic yazooh twistin their wrist with the guitar below their knees coming out with anything above average, and I'm convinced SRV would have serious back issues were he still among us.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Guru

A Friend & his band were playing a local small club.

The club owner asked them to turn down even though they were already at
a very low rehearsal volume.

His reasoning, the patrons said they couldn't hear themselves talking over you.

If the patrons are sitting on their arses ignoring your performance enough to talk through it, what does that say about the performance?

If the patrons are dancing their arses off and drinking like fish, the club owner won't mess with you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search