The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
bar stool for playing guitar sitting Dynamics Plugins
Old 9th March 2014
  #61
Lives for gear
 

Thank y'all.

I've tried a couple of stools at the local music store. a quite short worn out and broken ""Ampeg"" that squeaked and farted like hell was just perfect, speaking about height and "footrest" positioning. I think I can "afford" a more professionally built one, even if a little higher... Without going for those "bycicle saddle" studio chairs.

Cheers guys.
Old 28th August 2015
  #62
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edoardo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
Thanks a lot, in fact I was looking for bar stools with the EXTERNAL metal reinforcement, so you can comfortably put your left heel on that.
I dunno. Uh. I'm in a successful hard rock group. Their ain't room in my SUV for a chessy bar stool. Isn't that that bs that EVH said he hated about rock lifestyles that is so cheesy. I hate to tell you but. I see A.A. meetings in your future.

If you had bought a new Korg synth, and was workshopping it , or a tronics. Now that something new. But a bar seat. God. That's all the music industry doesn't need.

I didn't know that rock had alot of drugs.

Steppenwolf "I smoked alot of grass, Oh Lord I popped alot of pills."
Old 28th August 2015
  #63
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
A Friend & his band were playing a local small club.

The club owner asked them to turn down even though they were already at
a very low rehearsal volume.

His reasoning, the patrons said they couldn't hear themselves talking over you.

If the patrons are sitting on their arses ignoring your performance enough to talk through it, what does that say about the performance?

If the patrons are dancing their arses off and drinking like fish, the club owner won't mess with you.
It is a small club. It might not have a dance floor. But I wonder why a club that wants music volume low enough that folks can hear themselves talking would want to have live music.
Old 28th August 2015
  #64
Here's a great solution I've found. I use this in rehearsals and recording sessions and it's nice that it's foldup so it's easily transportable.

FRANKLIN Bar stool with backrest, foldable - 24 3/4 " - IKEA
Old 28th August 2015
  #65
Gear Guru
 
FFTT's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandjuno6 View Post
It is a small club. It might not have a dance floor. But I wonder why a club that wants music volume low enough that folks can hear themselves talking would want to have live music.
The coffee house, small suburban hole in the wall restaurant/bars may think they can draw more customers advertising " live music", but most have no idea what they are doing, don't have a suitable PA and just want background music.

This also gets complicated by all the part time, unprofessional bands who basically suck and have no following and are willing to play for peanuts.

Most can't even draw enough customers to cover 1970's club minimums.

Be honest, how many bands can play out of town away from friends and family and draw enough customers and be good enough to play for door receipts?
Old 28th August 2015
  #66
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbestfriend View Post
I dunno. Uh. I'm in a successful hard rock group. Their ain't room in my SUV for a chessy bar stool. Isn't that that bs that EVH said he hated about rock lifestyles that is so cheesy. I hate to tell you but. I see A.A. meetings in your future.

If you had bought a new Korg synth, and was workshopping it , or a tronics. Now that something new. But a bar seat. God. That's all the music industry doesn't need.

I didn't know that rock had alot of drugs.

Steppenwolf "I smoked alot of grass, Oh Lord I popped alot of pills."
Sheesh...first post and he's already identified himself as a troll.

Let's hope you're more successful at playing music than passing an English course!!!!
Old 28th August 2015
  #67
I've been asked to turn down. At one point I said, "Anymore and I just have to turn off" so I did and left. Places like that are usually "tips only" gigs, or as I like to call them: Sanctioned indoor busking. If I'm not being paid, don't tell me what to do.

I sit, I stand, I do whatever. In the studio, I sit. Those sessions are too long and too hard on my knees and feet to be milling about. I bought a wooden barstool and cut the legs down to the appropriate height. When it gets creaky, I'll get another.

Live, it just really depends. I'm as captivating to my audience seated as I am standing. Jumping around like a maniac isn't going to garner the kind of attention I'm trying to draw to the music.

Now, the whole practicing standing vs sitting is a real thing. If you practice standing at least 30% of the time, you're good to go. I just wear my strap short enough that my guitar is the same height either way. If you're wearing your axe down by your knees, it'll take some adjustment.
Old 28th August 2015
  #68
Lives for gear
 
Silent Sound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsolo View Post
I've been asked to turn down. At one point I said, "Anymore and I just have to turn off" so I did and left. Places like that are usually "tips only" gigs, or as I like to call them: Sanctioned indoor busking. If I'm not being paid, don't tell me what to do.

I sit, I stand, I do whatever. In the studio, I sit. Those sessions are too long and too hard on my knees and feet to be milling about. I bought a wooden barstool and cut the legs down to the appropriate height. When it gets creaky, I'll get another.

Live, it just really depends. I'm as captivating to my audience seated as I am standing. Jumping around like a maniac isn't going to garner the kind of attention I'm trying to draw to the music.

Now, the whole practicing standing vs sitting is a real thing. If you practice standing at least 30% of the time, you're good to go. I just wear my strap short enough that my guitar is the same height either way. If you're wearing your axe down by your knees, it'll take some adjustment.
I've got long legs so bar stools never fit me properly. Besides, I'd rather stand and play. Like FFTT said, it looks more professional and you can control your mic technique better.

But I like that ""Anymore and I just have to turn off" so I did". That's good stuff! I have a thing I've worked out with all my bands. When we get asked to turn down, we'll walk over to our amps, and crank up the volume, but then turn down the volume on our guitars and stuff. So the next song starts off quieter. Then, slowly throughout that song, we'll crank the volume back up on our guitars so we'll end up louder than before!

What I don't get is, why would you hire a hard rock/noise experimental group to play your bar if you just wanted background music? If you look at our websites or listen to any of our recordings you'll think that we sound a lot harder and louder than we actually do. So if they were expecting a quiet folksy trio to sing lullabies, then it's their own fault for not doing even a tiny bit of research. Besides, once a bar starts asking you to turn down, it's usually quite apparent that you won't ever be invited back. And I'll be damned if I'm going to put on a half-assed show and risk losing some of our fans just to appease a bar owner that we'll never talk to again. Bars in my part of the world switch hands like crazy. Most last about 2 years or less before being shut down and opening up as something else under a new owner.

And most bar owners only care about money. We get along with those guys fine. We'll bring in some crowd for them and our crowd buys lots of drinks and everyone's happy. But the control freak bar owner who has to be constantly telling everyone else how to do their job, or the cranky bar tender that wants to blame you for them messing up a drink order, or that bouncer that only likes country and thinks everything else is crap can go do dirty things of a sexual nature to themselves in a far off room. Fortunately, that scenario rarely happens. 98% of gigs go off without a hitch and everyone's super friendly and fun-loving. For most of our gigs, the worst part is unloading the cars at 3 a.m. when we get home.
Old 28th August 2015
  #69
Lives for gear
 

Our cover band might be slightly louder than the average band in our area, but I get out a lot to see other bands and many are much louder than us. Our regular spot started cracking down on volume levels and a new group of staff members asked us to turn down. My solution to being asked to turn down has been that at the end of the evening I always give a nice tip to each and every bar staff member (at this place two bartenders and two waitresses.) Once staff members figure out I tip (and our front man tips them all as well) without fail they never ask us to turn down again.

The other trick we do is have a purposefully lower level on sound check. (My rationale for the sound check cheat is that once the dance floor fills the bodies absorb a lot of the volume. )The other thing we do is only sound check clean songs, never songs with OD or distortion because psychologically OD and distortion sounds seem "louder" to some people even though they can be a lower sound level than a clean tone.
Old 29th August 2015
  #70
Lives for gear
 

I use one with a GIBSON logo on the top. I purchased the shorter one and I sort of half sit down and put my weight on the stool when I need to use my feet on the pedals (volume and wah) mostly. The stomp boxes on their own don't require the stool for just pressing on and off but I find I have way more control on the vol and wah pedals using the stool method.

Jim
Old 29th August 2015
  #71
Lives for gear
 
kennybro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunedindragon View Post
Here's a great solution I've found. I use this in rehearsals and recording sessions and it's nice that it's foldup so it's easily transportable.
Fold up is the deal for me too at our duo acoustic gigs. I got a few from Walmart. They fold dead flat, take no room in the car at all, and light. Low enough for comfort. Low profile on stage.

Trademark Global 24" Cushioned Folding Stool - Walmart.com
Old 30th August 2015
  #72
Gear Guru
 
kafka's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edoardo View Post
yeah Robert Fripp looks so boring, you can't headbang with your hair that short, it looks like he's going for some job interview indeed, one goes to concerts to show off his new tattoo and all he gets is people actually listening to music. old farts should stay at home.
I once saw Robert Fripp dance while performing. It lasted about two measures, and then he sat down again. That was the comedy part of the show. I think the chair works better for him.

Robert Fripp is Robert Fripp. You really have to take him for what he does, whatever that happens to be. He's not really an entertaining person, and yet somehow he's made a successful career as an entertainer. And that's actually entertaining. I think's appealing to a lot of other non-entertaining people.
Old 30th August 2015
  #73
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
The other trick we do is have a purposefully lower level on sound check. (My rationale for the sound check cheat is that once the dance floor fills the bodies absorb a lot of the volume. )The other thing we do is only sound check clean songs, never songs with OD or distortion because psychologically OD and distortion sounds seem "louder" to some people even though they can be a lower sound level than a clean tone.
I bet house sound engineers just LOVE you.

I remember the first time I did The Butthole Surfers. Things were just great during sound check and the first part of the show (We were a loud rock club with a decent PA and generally never asked anyone to turn down..... but...) Then in the middle of the set Gibby whips out a bullhorn, shoves his 58 down its throat, and blasts away. Our pa HAD NO LIMITERS!* Needless to say I just grabbed all the master faders and pulled them all the way down before he blew something, the cautiously inched them back up. After that I kept a hand on his fader the rest of the set.

Those were the fun days...



* - understand that except in rare cases of insanity we didn't usually need any - the system had 2 horn loaded 18s iin the subs, 2 15s and 2 12s in the mids, and 2 2" throat, 4" voice coil drivers on the HF horns per side in a club legally rated for 256 occupancy (although we frequently had quite a few more than that.) We didn't generally need limiters because the PA never needed to get pushed anywhere near maximum output. Shortly after the Surfers performance I managed to get a single dbx comp/limiter for the mains. Cash was tight.

Last edited by John Eppstein; 30th August 2015 at 01:22 AM..
Old 30th August 2015
  #74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edoardo View Post
yeah Robert Fripp looks so boring... all he gets is people actually listening to music. old farts should stay at home.
I think that's the whole point, really - he gets people who actually LISTEN to his music. Isn't that the point of playing?

Nice guy, too, albeit quite reserved.
Old 30th August 2015
  #75
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
I bet house sound engineers just LOVE you.

I remember the first time I did The Butthole Surfers. Things were just great during sound check and the first part of the show (We were a loud rock club with a decent PA and generally never asked anyone to turn down..... but...) Then in the middle of the set Gibby whips out a bullhorn, shoves his 58 down its throat, and blasts away. Our pa HAD NO LIMITERS!* Needless to say I just grabbed all the master faders and pulled them all the way down before he blew something, the cautiously inched them back up. After that I kept a hand on his fader the rest of the set.

Those were the fun days...



* - understand that except in rare cases of insanity we didn't usually need any - the system had 2 horn loaded 18s iin the subs, 2 15s and 2 12s in the mids, and 2 2" throat, 4" voice coil drivers on the HF horns per side in a club legally rated for 256 occupancy (although we frequently had quite a few more than that.) We didn't generally need limiters because the PA never needed to get pushed anywhere near maximum output. Shortly after the Surfers performance I managed to get a single dbx comp/limiter for the mains. Cash was tight.
Most of the places we play don't have engineers but I guarantee you that when we play a place with an engineer I go out of my way first thing to find him, introduce myself and shake his hand. I do put faith in the house sound man.
Old 30th August 2015
  #76
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
I think that's the whole point, really - he gets people who actually LISTEN to his music. Isn't that the point of playing?

Nice guy, too, albeit quite reserved.
I was being sarcastic man. That's me asking for a stool, LOL
Old 30th August 2015
  #77
Lives for gear
 
Silent Sound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicTone View Post
Most of the places we play don't have engineers but I guarantee you that when we play a place with an engineer I go out of my way first thing to find him, introduce myself and shake his hand. I do put faith in the house sound man.
Always! I also buy them a beer or something. That's the one guy you don't want to piss off. Those guys will float from one bar to the next and are often the only person that a bar owner will listen to when it comes to booking bands if the bar owner is booking his own venue. And we're not a particularly loud band, but if you've got a live drummer playing with sticks, it's not going to be quiet.

I remember a few years back I slipped a disk in my back. I couldn't stand upright, let alone support the weight of my PRS for a long time. During that time I used whatever bar stools were available from the bar. I had forgotten how much that sucked. I got a lot of effects, and it was a nightmare trying to control all of them from a seated position while keeping the mic in front of you.

I've got a drum throne with one of those bicycle type of seats with the cutout for your legs. I remember thinking they should make one of those, only taller. It was way more comfortable to use with effects and stuff, but it didn't sit up high enough for me.

Funny enough, I had a friend who played drums from a bar stool. He said he liked sitting up higher because it was easier for him to control his feet. I played his set several times and I have to say, once you get used to it, it's not bad. It does seem to be easier on your legs. But it was murder on your back and hard to maintain balance! Not my preference, but it was better than you'd think. He eventually replaced it with a standard throne with a back rest. I have no idea why you'd need a back rest on a drum throne. I guess so you can take a break while the guitar player changes strings?
Old 30th August 2015
  #78
Lives for gear
 

I use an office chair with no arms attached, height will go almost as high as a barstool. Another handy thing is a medical office exam stool, about the same height, but on casters. Not noisey, and fairly heavy duty. I've stood next to Fripp at a show, didn't get to talk with him because the opening band was too loud.
Old 24th November 2017
  #79
Here for the gear
 

Any of you guys bought a guitar stool? If so, which one's are you using? I'm considering buying one and I'm seriously thinking about the Quick Lok guitar stool.
Old 25th November 2017
  #80
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
For recording, I use a drafting chair. The foot rest is nice to bring your leg up, and being able to swivel helps me to work the microphone, especially when recording mono.
Me too. I brought a lot of gear home from my old design studio, including a drafting chair just like that. It is ideal for recording guitar bits, and doubles as my seat for all my DAW recording too, because every aspect is totally adjustable. Worth finding one on eBay I reckon.
Old 26th November 2017
  #81
Lives for gear
 

I love being able to sit in the studio to play guitar. The trick for me was finding one that fit me. The standard ones were too tall for me to use and still be able to NAIL the performance of the pedal board (triggering an effect pedal, using the volume pedal or wah, etc.). I found that the standard size was too high for me but the 24 inch model just right. If I were 6 inches taller, probably the 30 inch would have been comfortable and the 24 inch too close to the ground. Then, after using this solution for awhile, I noticed that my back strain was greater sitting than standing with the barstool. So, I tried getting an height adjustable, armless desk chair. PERFECT... I was able to dial in the height to fit me exactly and between takes, I was able to lean back and support my back to reduce the strain.

Now, just something else I noticed.... depending on the track, sometimes it was easier to finger the fretboard standing than it was sitting. I realized that the angle of my arm/hand to the fretboard was drastically different sitting vs standing. So, now, depending on the track, I sometimes have been forced to stand but a side benefit of the standing let's me do more body movement (like a small dance) when I play these tracks and as such, have more life on the recording. But, it is very tiring for an old man like me. If I were young, I would stand all the time based upon my lifetime experience (I am now 62 years young).

Anyway, for long sessions, I love sitting and an armless type chair works best for me for playing guitar in the studio.
Old 26th November 2017
  #82
Lives for gear
 
swafford's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Levitt View Post
Any of you guys bought a guitar stool? If so, which one's are you using? I'm considering buying one and I'm seriously thinking about the Quick Lok guitar stool.
I use this from Walmart. $14. Silent, not to high, folds up and hangs on the wall and, um, cheap. A little hard on the bottom after a few hours, but you can take it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Trademark...&wl13=&veh=sem
Old 1st January 2018
  #83
Gear Nut
My preferred stool...
Attached Thumbnails
bar stool for playing guitar sitting-979fd480-722f-4763-808d-cb1f27cc39a5.jpg  
Old 1st January 2018
  #84
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
I use this from Walmart. $14.
Quite popular with buskers. You can get one with a back for a couple bucks more. They've got flowery pink, too.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump