The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
bar stool for playing guitar sitting Dynamics Plugins
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

So what?
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Guru

You simply have a better chance of retaining the audience's attention standing than sitting down.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edoardo View Post
I've already said playing standing up is not a problem, especially live.

Practising several hours a day standing is. Practising sitting with the neck "somewhere else" is a problem too, unless I were doing beach party strumming...

And... I've asked if a guitar stool can double as footstool. For practising.

What's the issue?
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Guru

I sit on the sofa when I'm practicing.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Practising sitting on a sofa, bed, or the like is very dangerous for your back. You shall sit on a hard surface in order to assume a healthy posture.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Handwired amps and dumpster forniture. I hope an health insurance is among your priorities too. I suggest you start with your lower back and desktop carpal tunnel.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Handwired amps and dumpster forniture. I hope an health insurance is among your priorities too. I suggest you start with your lower back and desktop carpal tunnel.
My kids Killed furniture!

I sold the fine antiques out of sheer mercy.

I'd much rather have fine gear than spend it on fine furnishings that are worth 1/4 the value the minute you leave the store.

I'm quite comfortable.

Dumpster Diving was lot literal, just slang for grabbing something before it
was thrown away.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Though I am not English mothertongue, I did understand you did not literally take them out from a pile of junk at the local dump.

By the way I was serious: comfortable doesn't mean healthy.
Long-time typing or playing sitting on a huge engulfing cushion, bed, ottoman, sofa etc. is bad for your health, terrible for your spine.
That's either a friendly suggestion and the reason why I could not take it seriously, sorry.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
By the way I was serious: comfortable doesn't mean healthy.
Long-time typing or playing sitting on a huge engulfing cushion, bed, ottoman, sofa etc. is bad for your health, terrible for your spine.
So true. Seems like hotel rooms never have anything you can sit on while playing. The bed will kill your back and all the chairs have arms. You wind up playing guitar on the toilet.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Guru

The only time I ever had back issues was from sleeping wrong.

These swing ottomans I rescued are 90% wood with removable & washable cushions.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
So true. Seems like hotel rooms never have anything you can sit on while playing. The bed will kill your back and all the chairs have arms. You wind up playing guitar on the toilet.
I can't stand more than 10 minutes on those. I think hotel managers take for granted you want some natural reverb.
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
I can't stand more than 10 minutes on those. I think hotel managers take for granted you want some natural reverb.
One of my friends swears by his knee chair.

I couldn't stand it for more than a few minutes.

Old 4th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by brill bedroom View Post
Fripp is a magnificent musician, but he's not exactly known for being one go the more entertaining artists of our time. Not to be judgemental, but if you can't be bothered to stand for a gig, perhaps there's a better man for the job.
I said this as a joke, but if that's what you believe that's just plain preposterous. If you're in a shake your ass rock band sure you better perform. Bob Fripp obviously was never in a band like that, and managed to cultivate a presence and a vibe that was powerful. If what you do calls for you to stand up and perform then you should, if it doesn't you should do what makes you comfortable so you can play your best.
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

Trying to get back to topic, has anyone ever played on a stool that comfortably allows to bend the left knee, guitar resting between the legs? (right leg for lefties?) heh
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
don't tell Robert Fripp that.
So...I had to pull out my copy of "Electric Guitars, The Illustrated Encyclopedia" where there is an amazing picture of Mr. Fripp (circa 1969) on page 117.

He is on stage studiously picking on a black LP Custom.......sitting down.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

So I get the trick is bearing the weight of the guitar on your shoulder anyway

Old 5th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I said this as a joke, but if that's what you believe that's just plain preposterous. If you're in a shake your ass rock band sure you better perform. Bob Fripp obviously was never in a band like that, and managed to cultivate a presence and a vibe that was powerful. If what you do calls for you to stand up and perform then you should, if it doesn't you should do what makes you comfortable so you can play your best.
GIANT Crimson fan, me. Fripp can absolutely be interesting sitting down. Still, most people on stage are not Robert Fripp and I have a feeling that the point of the original post is more of the "I wanna sit for the whole gig" variety. To which I merely say "well, just stay at home then". Unless, of course, you're in a background jazz group, a classical guitarist, a very sincere folk group situation, wear an African kufi while playing drums with trad grip, etc. There are exceptions.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

yeah Robert Fripp looks so boring, you can't headbang with your hair that short, it looks like he's going for some job interview indeed, one goes to concerts to show off his new tattoo and all he gets is people actually listening to music. old farts should stay at home.
Old 5th March 2014
Deleted User
Bar stools tend to be a bit tippy if they are too tall, which can be dangerous to you and your guitar. If you go that way, use a short stool instead. A drummers throne might work.
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
I actually play much better standing, cause I can slant the guitar as much as I want. What I don't find comfortable at all is having the neck parallel to the ground when sitting. So I want to put the left foot somewhere higher. Practising everyday standing is unfeasible
For recording, I use a drafting chair. The foot rest is nice to bring your leg up, and being able to swivel helps me to work the microphone, especially when recording mono.
Attached Thumbnails
bar stool for playing guitar sitting-office-star-space-ergonomic-air-grid-back-seat-drafting-chair-w-dual-function-control.13-77n30d.jpg  
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
Bar stools tend to be a bit tippy if they are too tall, which can be dangerous to you and your guitar. If you go that way, use a short stool instead. A drummers throne might work.
Thanks for the hint. I'm not going to get anything higher than my buttocks, but a drummer stool has three legs and thus nowhere higher than the ground where to put my foot.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
For recording, I use a drafting chair. The foot rest is nice to bring your leg up, and being able to swivel helps me to work the microphone, especially when recording mono.
Thanks a lot! I hadn't thought about those.

Great man!!! cheers!
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

You'll find one to suit your requirements here V

Stools - Thomann UK

Have fun playing on your new stool
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deng View Post

Stools - Thomann UK

Yeah, indeed. thanks a lot man
Old 5th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deng View Post

Stools - Thomann UK

I like the one that has this:

"Fitted with an adjustable gas Absorber system..."

I've been on the road with guys who could've used that.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I like the one that has this:

"Fitted with an adjustable gas Absorber system..."

I've been on the road with guys who could've used that.
LOL I missed that one
Old 6th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenny View Post
I used a cushioned bar stool like the ones shown in my studio for a long time.....

......until I got tired of editing out those dad gum cushion squeaks from my soft acoustic guitar tracks.

For live use...definitely. In the studio....a straight back wood chair.
I use a hard seated metal bar stool with a Masonite seat insert/ No squeaks. If I need it softer (which I usually don't) I can add a throw pillow.

I used to prefer standing but now my hips bother me if I stand too long.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
You simply have a better chance of retaining the audience's attention standing than sitting down.
I'd vote for standing but really, it depends on how good you are. If you have trouble holding the audience's attention, it's probably not because you are sitting instead of standing. I"ve seen plenty of people play standing who sucked bad. They could have been standing on their heads...wouldn't matter. I've seen a few great players who knew how to relate to the audience, sitting. It seemed right at the time.
L.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
I used to prefer standing but now my hips bother me if I stand too long.
Yeah.....I'm getting old as well.

Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

I use a barstool type chair for tracking guitar parts. If you use a pedal board, make sure you get the correct height for your leg to pedal board distance, so you can be comfortable playing and manipulating footboard switches.

Jim

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search