The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is it just me, or are Ibanez guitars garbage? Modular Synthesizers
Old 12th March 2014
  #121
I'd like to point out that there is no need for fine tuners (aka"detuners") on the bridge if you don't have one of those horrendous locking nuts. And that a standard Strat block or a Wilkinson can, with a little work and slight modification of the block pocket (which does not show externally) can be made to do anything a Floyd or Kahler can do.

As to stripped threads, well, that's why they make threading taps and helicoils.
Old 13th March 2014
  #122
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edoardo View Post
At $1,285.00 I would get another guitar built.
Yeah, me too.
Old 13th March 2014
  #123
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
those horrendous locking nuts.
And the designers of them, must be focking nuts ! heh
Old 13th March 2014
  #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
I'd like to point out that there is no need for fine tuners (aka"detuners") on the bridge if you don't have one of those horrendous locking nuts. And that a standard Strat block or a Wilkinson can, with a little work and slight modification of the block pocket (which does not show externally) can be made to do anything a Floyd or Kahler can do.
Works for Jeff Beck! (Wilkinson?)and Edward VH[more-days gone by],and George Lynch said they always[nearly]preferred the Strat bridge tone,and the strings having a kind of resonance by being longer in both the tail block,and the strings obvious continuance beyond the nut.

I did have a R/H Ibanez,almost the exact color of Jimmy Page's [Lake Placid?] Blue,that he "wangs" to the extreme,on my bought copy of the 2003"live" dvd with"In The Evening" from Knebworth 79,and mine almost stayed as in tune as his,but not quite.

I also have a VERY high energy bootleg of Gary Moore at Redding festival 82 I think[?] where he get's an amazingly dream sustain thick sound[Boss DS-1]from his "Salmon Pink" Fender Stratocaster[stock],but during "Nuclear Attack",he's definitely struggling with the "G"[siren dive bomb's-during that no.]all completely forgotten with the most awseome solo(ever?) on the second hallf of "I Can't Wait Until Tomorrow"even 30 years later a "Massive Fave".

One day I'll get my "strat"[with a much flatter than 9.5 radius]and make it look as stock as possible,till then the Gibson LP for tone,the Ibanez/Floyd for everything else....the LP Custom[black]Epiphone Hmmm ebay?.
Bob

Last edited by rksguit; 14th March 2014 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: just had to waffle on as thread ender?
Old 9th August 2015
  #125
Here for the gear
 

I have 10 ibanez guitars and they are all great. I have had and still do have other brands. My favorite ever is a 84 roadstar 440, it is simply amazing. Dont give up, if you like that rg aside from the vibrato problems you can block it and tighten the springs so it either doesnt work at all or only goes down. I have done this on my rg.
Old 12th August 2015
  #126
Lives for gear
 
Strange Leaf's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato View Post
I work on guitars for a living, and it took me years (and lots of frustration) before I figured this out:

When setting up a Floyd, it's best to temporarily stabilize the bridge with a wooden wedge stuck between the trem block and the body so that the bridge sits exactly at the desired position (you need to over-tighten the spring tensioning screws, or the wedge will fall out). At this point, you can tune, adjust string height and intonation without the damn thing flopping all over the place. Once it's set up and intonated, lock the nut and then remove the wedge. The strings will go sharp (because you over-tightened the springs). At this point, simply loosen the spring tensioning screws until the guitar is in tune again. Works perfect every time.
I have a better suggestion. Begin as you suggested, then once it's set up, intonated and the nut is locked, you loosen the spring tensioning screws until the moment the wooden wedge comes lose. Your guitar is now ready to go.
Old 13th August 2015
  #127
Lives for gear
 
Hot Vibrato's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Leaf View Post
I have a better suggestion. Begin as you suggested, then once it's set up, intonated and the nut is locked, you loosen the spring tensioning screws until the moment the wooden wedge comes lose. Your guitar is now ready to go.
Or you can just do like I said and remove the block and back off the spring tension screws until it's in tune. It takes about the same amount of time either way.
Old 13th August 2015
  #128
Lives for gear
 
noah330's Avatar
One of my close friends has an old Ibanez Bob Weir model and it's really, really nice. In fact, I would love to buy it but he wouldn't sell it. I looked for one of their Firebird copies for a long time and finally gave up. Also tried those Korina copies and they were very nice (played V and Explorer).

Once, I was at my friend's shop and he let me play the guy from Kiss' Destroyer. I'm not a Kiss fan, but it was still cool to play. When I was in college the Ibanez semi hollowbodies were pretty popular.

I always wanted one of those 540s models when I was a kid, but never bought one. I did buy an old Ibanez for $45 at a flea market last year and sold it for like $450 that day on ebay.

Anyway, I think they make nice guitars. Like many companies (mostly owned by FMIC) they probably have a bunch of low end crap made in North Korea, China and Iran that diminishes the good stuff they make. Japan makes some nice things.
Old 13th August 2015
  #129
Lives for gear
 
ksandvik's Avatar
 

Ibanez should have named all non-Japanese Ibanez guitars Gios.
Old 14th August 2015
  #130
Lives for gear
 
Strange Leaf's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato View Post
Or you can just do like I said and remove the block and back off the spring tension screws until it's in tune. It takes about the same amount of time either way.
No, because then you need to screw, turn guitar over, check tuning, turn guitar over, screw, turn guitar over, check tuning, turn guitar over, screw, etc.

Much easier and faster to lay the guitar down and just screw until the block comes loose.
Old 14th August 2015
  #131
Lives for gear
Ibanez crap?
I guess that is why Vai And Satch rely on them.
If you cannot do tech adjust on a trem, you should not have one. They are not for everyone. I have not had one for some time and every time I get tempted to build a guitar w one I resist the temptation. Other than the delicious things Jeff Beck does and the various squeals, pulls and dives they are not all that great really.
I would not at all recommend them unless you have some years of playing under your belt. It's sort of one of those things you think you would really like to have but after getting it, hardly ever use it. To me they start sounding a little cliche' as everyone is doing the same stuff.
Old 14th August 2015
  #132
Lives for gear
 
Strange Leaf's Avatar
 

I have a Ibanez bass and it is the best bass I ever played.
Old 14th August 2015
  #133
Gear Head
I was after a 335 and chose a 2629 over a wall of them (new and old). The Ibanez was a much better instrument.

Steve
Old 14th August 2015
  #134
Lives for gear
 
Hot Vibrato's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Leaf View Post
No, because then you need to screw, turn guitar over, check tuning, turn guitar over, screw, turn guitar over, check tuning, turn guitar over, screw, etc.

Much easier and faster to lay the guitar down and just screw until the block comes loose.
I get your point, but I've never had to "screw, turn guitar over, check tuning, turn guitar over, screw, turn guitar over, check tuning, turn guitar over, screw, etc.".

I just back off the spring screws until it looks right, and then make the final adjustment with it hooked up to a tuner. The whole process just takes a few seconds.

However, I'm not too stubborn that I can't learn something new. Next time I have a guitar with a floyd style trem on my bench, I'll try backing off the spring screws until the block comes loose, and then check tuning. It may shave a couple seconds of bench time off of the job. Thanks for the tip!
Old 14th August 2015
  #135
Lives for gear
 

@Quality of ibanez guitars: REALLY REALLY depends. I've had so many, I'm not in the mood to count them but I sold most of them. As "pretty" as they were (and I LOVE RG's) they mostly sounded ass. Pickup changes? X ! Didn't even help a bit. Also, todays prestige isn't always a prestige. There is a good reason those lower priced ones are lower priced, they are basically balsa wood and have zero percent tone (I've bought a 752, a 655 and a 652 and they weighed about 3 grahms....balsa wood I tell you! All sent back, never again) But my 1520 is killer. I've grown to not like the 43mm nut width but that has nothing to do with the quality.
@Floating trems: I don't have a problem with them (shrug) I'm not going to get into all my tricks because 99.9% of people never use them or don't care (if it requires work then they simply can't be bothered) In defense of people with issues I will say that unless you have a personal tech to take care of everything /vai/satch/etc you will have to invest more time and effort......ooops, there is that "work" word again.

Ok, on the possible off-chance that it helps someone I'll change my mind and post this:

MEGATRON'S FLOATING TREM GUIDE - Technical Support - Ibanez Forum

Also, don't use a battery to keep the floating trem in place during a string change, Use a sock or a towel. Batteries can leave an indent (though the theory is sound)
Old 14th August 2015
  #136
Lives for gear
 
kennybro's Avatar
"Is it just me, or are Ibanez guitars garbage?"

So... to sum up the OP's question after a year and a half... It's just you.
Old 15th August 2015
  #137
Lives for gear
 

Well I was going to bring up the n..k..ro, but apparently the rules encourage it, so I was keeping my piehole shut and just answering the question.

I can't win!

(edit, some troll will think I'm being racist if I didn't put the k in that )
Old 16th August 2015
  #138
Lives for gear
 
timemist's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago View Post
I've got a 1982 Ibby Roadstar (strat style) That absolutely rocks..it's got upgraded pickups and that helps, but it has THE nicest neck..nothing but fast and sweet.
I have a 1985 Roadstar II, and love it. The neck on it is incredible.
Old 10th June 2016
  #139
Gear Head
 
drguitar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlesgod View Post
So which is it, is Ibanez a company I should avoid like the plague, or did I somehow get one of their worse guitars?
It depends on which Ibanez. Their MIJ Roadster II electrics are quite nice, especially the cheaper ones (100 and 200 series). They also make very serviceable full size jazz boxes for a pretty decent price. I personally think their Floyd Rose equipped electrics are of a lousy design (their locking nut systems are poorly designed). They made some interesting "special" electric guitars like the "Custom Agent" and the "Ragtime Special". And ya gotta love the various semi-hollowbody thin electric they built that played like a dream and had a wonderful full, punchy tone like the AM255. The only Ibanez guitars I steer clear of are their acoustic guitars. I have yet to play one that sounded any better than mediocre (but they still played nice).

The point I am making is that you need someone "who knows what they are doing" to properly figure out what is going on with that guitar, and repair/set it up properly.

If you live near Philly, you can bring it to me and I'll have it playing amazing in a few minutes.
Old 10th June 2016
  #140
Lives for gear
 

Oh my, I forgot how bad "what's his name's" theories and attitudes are

Again, if you can't figure out how to deal with a floating trem, then you are just lazy.

Back to Ibanez, they make **** sounding stuff these days. It's basically plywood with some hardware and dimarzios. A current "premium" 5 string bass with the same Nordstrand pickups sounds AWFUL compared to mine (and I'm talking mine having really old/crappy strings) even though the neck is much better.

Really too bad. Luckily, my 1520a is a treat. (2009)
Old 10th June 2016
  #141
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drguitar View Post
The only Ibanez guitars I steer clear of are their acoustic guitars. I have yet to play one that sounded any better than mediocre (but they still played nice).
I was looking for a good recording strummer, didn't have the money for a nice Taylor or an older Guild. I ran across this dread-style Ibanez. Don't know the age or model because the label was ripped out.

The attachment is a song with a strummy rhythm and an acoustic lead, both done on the Ibanez. The link is more bluesy, with the guitar played a lot harder.

Would the same playing on a nicer guitar have sounded better? Maybe. But you work with what you've got.

Bluesy Ibanez
Attached Files

When_You_Know.mp3 (4.62 MB, 343 views)


Last edited by Brent Hahn; 10th June 2016 at 05:10 PM..
Old 10th June 2016
  #142
Lives for gear
 
Mikhael's Avatar
 

I'm amazed at the people who think that a Floyd Rose doesn't add any tuning stability. That's someone who's never used one. And to say the Ibanez shredders are crap is just wrong, dead wrong. Ibanez pretty much owns the shredder category nowadays. Vai's Jem series is a marvelous guitar, playing and soundwise, although it does look a little goofy.
Old 10th June 2016
  #143
Lives for gear
 
Joe Porto's Avatar
 

I really like the Artstar SS300.

The higher end SR bases are really nice too.
Old 10th June 2016
  #144
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato View Post
Not to say that a lemon doesn't get produced every now and then, but most new guitars (even imports) these days can be set up to play really well. However, most guitars come from the factory in an awful state of adjustment, and therefore need a professional setup. Many of these guitars actually never get adjusted very well, and wind up living out their existence in a horrible state of adjustment. I contend that many of these "lemons" are actually not lemons at all, but simply have never been properly gone over by a luthier.

The first thing anyone should do when they buy a guitar, is to take it to a skilled luthier or repairman for a setup and evaluation. A skilled professional can make any good guitar play great, and if it is a lemon, an independent professional opinion can help you get proper warranty service, or a warranty replacement if necessary. Several times over the course of my career as a guitar repairman, I've advocated for a customer to help them obtain a warranty replacement for a defective guitar when the dealer stubbornly insisted that it was fine.

There's no reason to get stuck with a lemon of a guitar. If the frets are unlevel, or if the truss rod won't adjust, if the neck angle is wrong, or whatever, it's covered under warranty, and should be replaced or repaired at the manufacturer's expense. The dealer will duck and weave to avoid replacing an instrument under warranty - not because it costs them anything, but simply because it's a hassle to box it up and ship it, etc. Again, this is where an independent professional opinion will help your case. If the customer has a respected professional in their corner insisting that the guitar is defective, it's easier for them at that point to just give in and replace the guitar.
It might just be a British thing, but I have always been under the assumption that if you get a guitar serviced or setup by somebody who is not, in this case it would be Ibanez recognized guitar technician, at an Ibanez dealer, you would voild all the warranty and manufacturer guarantees on the guitar.

I have seen many friends have their warranty claims turned down because they voided both the shop that sold them the guitar, and the guitar manaufacturers terms and conditions by not using the appropriate technichians from appropriate shops. It's the reason why I refuse to touch yet alone work on anybodies guitar while it is still under either the shops warranty or the manufacturers warranty.

I don't know if it is different in America, but it is definately the case here, your practically forced to use the technicians of the shop you bought your guitar from in the U.K. if you want to maintain both the shops warranty and the guitar manufacturers warranty and guarantee on the guitar.


As for the original poster's guitar, to me it sounds like it is either a lemon, or not setup properly, without seeing the guitar and having any hands on time with it it's impossible to tell, I will say as somebody who has been spoiled his entire life when it comes to guitars, Ibanez do make some really really nice guitars, if you are into playing seven or eight string guitars, they are pretty much the standard and produce some pretty amazing extended range, and multi scale guitars, I'm working on a very nice seven string Ibanez as I type this reply out - changing the pickups, changing the three way blade switch to a five way blade switch, and changing the control configuration from one volume and one tone control to one volume and two tone controls.

As far as their acoustics go, in my opinion, they are the new Yamaha, you can get a lot of guitar for not a lot of money with Ibanez, especially their acoustics, you can get solid wood, not just tops, but acoustics with solid wood top, back and sides for less money than most companies will sell you an acoustic guitar with a solid top and a liminate back and sides, just look at the Ibanez AEL207E-TKS, it's basically a seven string J-200 with a cutaway, it's a very very good seven string acoustic guitar, in fact it's a very good acoustic guitar fullstop.
Old 10th June 2016
  #145
Lives for gear
 
Joe Porto's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleScratch View Post

I don't know if it is different in America, but it is definately the case here, your practically forced to use the technicians of the shop you bought your guitar from in the U.K. if you want to maintain both the shops warranty and the guitar manufacturers warranty and guarantee on the guitar.

Hmmm....well, I've always set up my own guitars, but I have also not had a guitar in the 20+ that I've purchased over the years with such a defect that I would have had to make a warranty claim.
Old 13th June 2016
  #146
Lives for gear
 
Hot Vibrato's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleScratch View Post
It might just be a British thing, but I have always been under the assumption that if you get a guitar serviced or setup by somebody who is not, in this case it would be Ibanez recognized guitar technician, at an Ibanez dealer, you would voild all the warranty and manufacturer guarantees on the guitar.

I have seen many friends have their warranty claims turned down because they voided both the shop that sold them the guitar, and the guitar manaufacturers terms and conditions by not using the appropriate technichians from appropriate shops. It's the reason why I refuse to touch yet alone work on anybodies guitar while it is still under either the shops warranty or the manufacturers warranty.
It would be really underhanded for a guitar manufacturer to refuse a legitimate warranty claim just because the owner had someone adjust their truss rod or intonation. I have never heard of this happening.

I think there's a distinction between adjustment and repair work. Most manufacturers provide a truss rod wrench with their guitars. Therefore I assume that it's okay for the owner to do their own adjustments, so by extension, I assume it's okay for the owner to have the technician of their choice doing the adjustments.

At any rate, I've been in the guitar repair / maintenance / restoration business for over twenty years. I've done adjustments and fret work on thousands of guitars that I'm not certified to repair under warranty, and I have never been responsible for anyone's warranty being voided.
Old 13th June 2016
  #147
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato View Post
It would be really underhanded for a guitar manufacturer to refuse a legitimate warranty claim just because the owner had someone adjust their truss rod or intonation. I have never heard of this happening.

I think there's a distinction between adjustment and repair work. Most manufacturers provide a truss rod wrench with their guitars. Therefore I assume that it's okay for the owner to do their own adjustments, so by extension, I assume it's okay for the owner to have the technician of their choice doing the adjustments.

At any rate, I've been in the guitar repair / maintenance / restoration business for over twenty years. I've done adjustments and fret work on thousands of guitars that I'm not certified to repair under warranty, and I have never been responsible for anyone's warranty being voided.
Customer service is something that the U.K. is not famous for, I've seen so many so called custom boutique guitar builders tell customers what they are getting, instead of asking them what they want, I've experienced custom boutique cable manufacturers tell me what length of cables that I need and supplying me with a completely different length to what I ordered and blame me for it - I required a 1.5m lead for a lead from my pedalboard to my amp the company Kabl insisted that I needed a standard 12 inch patch cable to attach my pedalboard to the amp head which is located on top of two 4by12 cabs that I have.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump