The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Guitars for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need your help with some custom build decisions!
Old 17th February 2014
Here for the gear

Need your help with some custom build decisions!

Hello friends
I plan on ordering a custom build and have some problems deciding on some aspects, please let me hear your opinion about them!
I play mostly modern metal (djent influenced but not exactly), tuned down to A (but cleans are important for me aswell). I am looking for a deep, warm and tight lows, big and muscular midrange and sparkly defined highs. An overall big, strong, warm, defined and percussive tone. I narrowed it down to the following options:

1.BODY: LIMBA VS. KOA
I like the percussiveness and note definition of swamp ash (but not the mid scoop) and big sound and lows/low mids of mahogany (but not the muddiness and lack of high mids).
Korina/limba and koa seems to be the best of both worlds to me.
-What would be the differences?
-which one will fit me better in your opinion?
-any other wood suggestion? (not basswood or alder)
2.TOP: KOA VS. WALNUT
-what would be the result any of them on a limba body? And what about walnut on koa?
-would it have the same effect as maple tops cancels some of the mids on mahogany bodys? If it would, should I better go without a top?
-any other top wood suggestion?
3.NECK: WENGE VS. ROSEWOODS VS. PAU FERRO
I like the attack, tightness and note definition of a maple neck but want the warmth and meatiness of a mahogany neck. It seems like wenge, pau ferro or some kind of rosewood would be the best bet for me.
-what would be the differences between the woods? What are the differences between the rosewood kinds (cocobolo, indian, kingwood, bocote, brazillian, etc..)
-which would you suggest? If rosewood so what kind?
- I want a 5 piece neck. What other wood would be a good combination for the ones above? (was thinking about ebony strings for rosewoods, pau ferro for wenge, etc..)
-other woods?
4.FRETBOARD: MAPLE VS. ZIRICOTE
I like the tightness and note definition and pick attack of ebony but it sounds too bright and sterile IMO and lacks the warmth of rosewood (which sounds not as defined, at least the Indian RW). I really liked maple boards and think that woods like ziricote, pau ferro and wenge mght fit me aswell (but like the look of wenge and pau ferro for boards least).
-what would be the differences between them?
-other wood suggestions?
5.BODY SHAPE:
What would be the difference between a singlecut (let's say telecaster) and a dual cut (superstrat) shape?
6.BUILDER:
I want to put out as less as I can but know that most of the time you get what you pay for.
-Which builders have high end quality and short time waiting for a build for a good price?
-would you suggest cheaper builders like siggery, warmoth GMW, etc..?

Thanks a lot people, that would realy help
have a nice day!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search