The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Fender Amps question..
Old 30th November 2006
Lives for gear

Since you went the Blues Junior route, let me mention some mods that can make a nice difference in it's performance:

http://machrone.home.comcast.net/bluesjunior.htm

This gentleman, BillM, is on the Fender Forum and has done some nice work with these. I got my Bjr modded with a few of his suggestions and it made a big difference.

Re: older Silverface Fenders - yup. I just got a Silverface 73 Deluxe reverb in the last couple of days for $635 and I just got a call from the shop that the recap and tune up is done, so now it's good to go for about $150 or so. It sounds completely different, to my ears, from my Reissue deluxe... I love old amps though, so I'm biased.
Old 30th November 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtichy View Post
Wow...you went from wanting at least 60w to a blues jr!

yeah..I forgot how damn loud the Blues Jr. was. It is super loud for 15 watts, and I will be able to easily play shows if needed with it. That is a reason I did not get a vintage Gibson (almost did it!!). I wanted a newer amp that would survive some shows.

I used to play a Mesa Subway blues at shows, so I just needed to keep perspective and not spend tons of cash. Also, my buddy who engineer's guitars on some big metal records came over and loved the **** out of this Fender. He wants to buy one now for his studio to have as a clean.

Saving money on the Blues jr allowed me to quickly get a full pedal board assembled, so I have plenty of tones.

The next step is the mod. Infinite, thanks for the link, ill check it out.

I love vintage sounding amps myself, I used to play an old supro for a time, and it was fantastic.
Old 30th November 2006
Lives for gear

i've got a silverface champ (76) that i love the hell out of. it sounded great with the stock speaker and tubes......but i've since put a weber speaker in there and that thing roars now. it's gotta be twice as loud as it was......it's a LOUD 6W. i play smaller gigs with this thing and it's all the power i need. and if i need more volume, an sm57 takes care of that!

some electroharmonix tubes really changed the character of the amp as well--it's a lot gainier now than it used to be. i liked that at first, but now that i've lived with em for a while, i'm not so sure i like what they do to it--i *really* liked the chimier clean from the RCA/GE tubes that were in it. need to get some of those higher headroom GTs and see what they do for it.

either way, i would definitely look at putting a weber in that blues junior and you'll be battling a monster.

cheers,
wade
Old 2nd December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab View Post
haha..we have the same pedal board...nice. Add a memory man, a TU2 and a Dynacomp and I may have to sue for infringement.
heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search