The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kemper Profiler
Old 20th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Kemper Profiler

Anyone using these and if so your personal opinion of their accuracy?

I have access to over 100+ amp heads and speaker combinations and was wondering if it would be worth getting the Kemper and building profiles of all the various amps and speakers.

Would certainly save a lot of time doing demos/recordings if it works.

Thanks in advance.
Old 20th November 2013
Lives for gear

It's surprisingly accurate, not 100% all of the time, but so close that you will not be able to tell the difference in a mix or playing live i.e. anywhere that counts.

Accuracy is determined by several factors though such as how long you spend refining the profile, and to an extent the guitar used when refining can have an impact.

It also has to be said that it will capture the sound accurately within a range, so if you profile a high gain amp and then dial down the gain on the Kemper it will continue to sound like your original amp, but the further you dial the gain beyond about a quarter of the throw it will start to deviate from the way your actual amp responds when adjusting gain, it will however still sound like your amp and you can get sounds that your own amp could not achieve this way. The dials offer rather more extreme ranges than any real world amp by at least a factor of two in my tests, so while a quarter of a turn sounds like it may be nothing it's actually quite a difference.

In terms of practicality in your situation, it would probably be great. Keep in mind it profiles your signal chain so crap in crap out, good stuff in, good stuff out. It's also very convenient to have just to store a sound of a session and then have it for future use for either re-amping or continuing hte project in another space.

Overall I think it's a revolutionary product, it's a great complimentary tool to have if you've got a nice amp collection which can save you a lot of time and effort if you tend to use the same tones from your amps, and it's the best amp sim out there if you have no amps of your own or if you like to explore possibilities in a safe environment and go beyond what the original amps can do without cracking out the soldering iron.

Oh and it helps that it both sounds and feels like playing the original amps in the control room.
Old 20th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Good for taking a snapshot of an amp at a specific setting. No good if you like to find a tone organically by tweaking knobs and interacting with a real amp.
Old 20th November 2013
Lives for gear

I disagree with that, it has plenty of potential for finding tone organically by tweaking knobs much as with a "real" amp. It's its own amp after all, but of course it's party trick is profiling. Also to give context I own a Kemper as well as several tube amps, from previous threads McGruff has never used a Kemper and is fundamentally opposed to digital.
Old 20th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Kemper

Thanks for the reply. Think I'll pick one up.
Old 20th November 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
A settings log in a journal is considerably more affordable.
Old 20th November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
kemper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
A settings log in a journal is considerably more affordable.
Sure is but I don't own the 100+ amps and speaker cabs.
Old 20th November 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
For $2400.00 I'd be looking at another Bad Cat that will last decades,
not some over hyped POD.
Old 20th November 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Kemper profiler amps are just AMAZING. They do the job.
I don't understand people having negative attitude about them without give a try on it.
Kemper are not a POD, Kemper is just Kemper.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie View Post
it has plenty of potential for finding tone organically by tweaking knobs much as with a "real" amp.
No. It doesn't.

The Kemper is a box full of canned tones. They are good canned tones which get close to the real thing - I've even heard the Kemper fix little glitches in the sound of the amp it was modelling - but that's what it is. You might have a use for that and that's fine but it doesn't have the depth and complexity of a great tube amp.

It's the difference between painting with colours someone has mixed for you and colours which you've mixed yourself.
Old 20th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Buckle up, kiddies, here we go again...
Old 20th November 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Yeah, really do a Search!

This has been discussed to death.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yeah, really do a Search!

This has been discussed to death.
Every thread is the same people posting the same things, too, and every thread turns into a pissing match.
Old 20th November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Gee , I’ve been waiting for this opportunity, more entertainment for the kids and for the benefit of the OP

My fav β€œHow to” and how pros do it video.

With $2400 you can buy a new KPA(ITB) and use the leftover for a used β€œreal” valve(OTB) baby from the forums/ebay and still have change for expensive strings and picks, by then you will have 1,000 timeless and one deteriorating expensive to maintain amp.

<snip no need for the baiting>
Old 20th November 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I find a "Think I'll Pick One Up"
$2400.00 buying decision made on one favorable reply a bit questionable.

If I'm wrong, apologies but we've seen these methods used before to bait a spam discussion.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I find a "Think I'll Pick One Up"
$2400.00 buying decision made on one favorable reply a bit questionable.

If I'm wrong, apologies but we've seen these methods used before to bait a spam discussion.
Luckily my cost is much much cheaper than 2400.

BTW I have spoken to 12 guitarist and studios that have these an love them so not just one reply.

Old 20th November 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
If you're smart you'd wait till after the holidays around the time taxes are due.
Old 21st November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCrazy View Post
Sure is but I don't own the 100+ amps and speaker cabs.
You still dont with the Kemper :-)
Old 21st November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
IMHO... buying expensive digital is always a poor investment for the home studio. Something like the RADAR might be an exception when used in a busy studio.. same with a Pro Tools rig. But at the lower end, every digital technology is stopgap and almost always end up being worth a tiny fraction of the price of a quality analog piece of gear.

That doesn't mean the Kemper is a bad idea. Not saying that at all. I'm suggesting it might not be a great investment at that price. Clearly you can buy a decent guitar amp that will give you a few quality tones for that money. Maybe a cabinet and a couple of heads. Those will be worth more in 3 years or so than the Kemper, because someone will come out with something better and cheaper.

An example is the original line6 amp. My friend bought one. He used it for a couple of years and got rid of it for 30 cents on the dollar. Bad investment. Buy a good tube amp and you will do a lot better. Another friend bought a roland guitar synth. Again... not worth much at all.

Just something to think about.
Old 21st November 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
could it profile my amazing squier bullet run through a marshall 100hdfx?
ya i didn't think so

you can't replace REAL amps!
Old 21st November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by squierlover View Post
could it profile my amazing squier bullet run through a marshall 100hdfx?
ya i didn't think so

you can't replace REAL amps!
Sure it can, why not?

Can a DAW record and play back your amazing squier bullet run through a marshall 100hdfx?
Old 21st November 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
If.......

I said no one has been talking about this box for a few weeks because everyone
was sick to death of arguing about it,

So you decided to start a new thread.

Some people might think I was correct.
Old 21st November 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Mine arrives today - Gone for the non powered rack version as the powered one is just a mono amp - For the price difference I could get a good stereo amp.....
Any good? - Someone I know just used a Kemper for the entire new Mutt Lange project so if it's good enough for him ........ I've a few friends who use them and they are blown away by them......
Phil Collen from Def Leppard uses Gtr Rig 5 for recording ....... To me it's what your happy with and what does the job well .......
Kj
Old 22nd November 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I love mine. Best purchase I have ever made and I can't hear the difference between it and the rig being profiled.

It seems expensive but what you're getting is easily worth the price of admission.
Old 22nd November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just from seeing all of the threads here and elsewhere, I would say that most of the people that give the Kemper very favorable reviews are the ones who have actually spent time with them in person, and the majority of those who dismiss them as "just another modeler" have never even been in the same room as one, let alone heard them for themselves.
Old 22nd November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
That's your third post complaining about other posters...

It's probably better if we stick to what we know about the Kemper and don't talk about other people. That's how these topics always get derailed.

What about the Kemper?
Old 22nd November 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgruff View Post
That's your third post complaining about other posters...

It's probably better if we stick to what we know about the Kemper and don't talk about other people. That's how these topics always get derailed.

What about the Kemper?
I wasn't complaining, and I wasn't talking about other posters. I simply stated an easily confirmed fact that these threads always get ugly, always for the same reasons, and it's always the same people saying the same things that cause it to be this way.

What I don't understand, but find interesting, is how some people can be so bothered by a piece of gear that they allow themselves to get so emotional about it in some of these threads. The Kemper isn't going to cause tube amps to be outlawed, and owning one isn't going to cause your children to grow extra appendages. It is an option that many, many people are finding very practical.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodebro View Post
I wasn't complaining, and I wasn't talking about other posters. I simply stated an easily confirmed fact that these threads always get ugly, always for the same reasons, and it's always the same people saying the same things that cause it to be this way.

What I don't understand, but find interesting, is how some people can be so bothered by a piece of gear that they allow themselves to get so emotional about it in some of these threads. The Kemper isn't going to cause tube amps to be outlawed, and owning one isn't going to cause your children to grow extra appendages. It is an option that many, many people are finding very practical.
Well there are many reasons. Buyer's Stockholm Syndrome is one. Not knowing any better is another. Not liking others spreading misinformation (intentionally or unintensionally). Personal bias agaist zealotry. All apllies to both pro and post Kemper.
I just think you guys got too much time on your hands. Go make some music with the toys you like. Stop arguing about the same thing.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri Kogan View Post
Well there are many reasons. Buyer's Stockholm Syndrome is one. Not knowing any better is another. Not liking others spreading misinformation (intentionally or unintensionally). Personal bias agaist zealotry. All apllies to both pro and post Kemper.
I just think you guys got too much time on your hands. Go make some music with the toys you like. Stop arguing about the same thing.
Thing is, I wasn't arguing. If anything, my initial posts were aimed at preventing the arguing, because all it does is clutter things up for no good reason. I have a bunch of tube amps that I love, but I am intrigued by what the Kemper has to offer. So I come to these threads looking for information that can help me in my decision making process, and the signal-to-noise ratio gets so high that it's frustrating.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodebro View Post
Thing is, I wasn't arguing. If anything, my initial posts were aimed at preventing the arguing, because all it does is clutter things up for no good reason. I have a bunch of tube amps that I love, but I am intrigued by what the Kemper has to offer. So I come to these threads looking for information that can help me in my decision making process, and the signal-to-noise ratio gets so high that it's frustrating.
Easiest way to make naysayers go away is to bring out blind A/B tests. They vacate pretty quickly.

Here's a cool vid of it.

Kemper Profiling Amplifier hands-on review, demo, A/B test - YouTube

Can't wait for the comments about how vastly different they are.
Closed