The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alternative to older Deluxe Reverbs
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuldLangSine View Post
Do you still use it after all these years?
No, I sold it. But it was pretty cool. I am sure it is serving its more recent owner well
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioforce View Post
That’s a little odd, imo.
why? he didn't like any amp they supplied and so they kept bringing amps to find one he liked, maybe it wasn't 20 but the point I was making is he doesn't like rental amps so seeing him with one doesn't mean he likes it, far from it.

As I said when I went to see one of the gigs the band all thanked me because Larry was happy now as he'd been making their life harder because he was upset about NOT having a great sound.

I was cooking dinner at home and the phone rang.

me: Hello
LC: Hi, it's Larry Carlton
me: Oh....Hi Larry, how's it going?
LC........not good.......

:D

to the OP, there are plenty of small boutique builder who can build a deluxe reverb combo with good parts just like an original.

I've just done a princeton reverb in a reverse trainwreck chassis and slightly bigger cabinet that actually works as well as a deluxe volume and tone wise.

lovely amp.

M
Attached Thumbnails
Alternative to older Deluxe Reverbs-img_20190626_131156-01.jpg  
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
why? he didn't like any amp they supplied and so they kept bringing amps to find one he liked, maybe it wasn't 20 but the point I was making is he doesn't like rental amps so seeing him with one doesn't mean he likes it, far from it.

As I said when I went to see one of the gigs the band all thanked me because Larry was happy now as he'd been making their life harder because he was upset about NOT having a great sound.

I was cooking dinner at home and the phone rang.

me: Hello
LC: Hi, it's Larry Carlton
me: Oh....Hi Larry, how's it going?
LC........not good.......

M
I think we heard this story before in another thread. Oh, yeah, your "Larry Carlton used my amp" thread, right?

Sounds like a Prima Dona. Really? He made the band's life "hard" because he didn't have his special amp? Still sounds odd to me. Not very professional.

Plus, if he wants a great sound, he should have just had them bring a good amp, like an AC-30 or a V-4 or a big-ass Marshall, or something like that. He needs to rock more and worry about amps less. : )

You're welcome!

Best,

audioforce [often compared to Larry Carlton for some reason]
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

I do like Larry Carlton's smoooooth playing, btw. [But he could rock more.] : )
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

Larry is one of the nicest blokes you could ever meet. He's as far away from a Prima Donna you could get. He wasn't intentionally giving the band a hard time but if the person who's name is on the ticket is obviously not happy then it reflects on everyone, band ,crew and to some extent the audience as he won't play as well, it's a subtle thing but if you're empathetic which good musicians have to be then you feel it.

Have you ever toured using rental amps? I have and trust me despite having the perfect model you asked for 75% sound like ****.

M
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
Larry is one of the nicest blokes you could ever meet. He's as far away from a Prima Donna you could get. He wasn't intentionally giving the band a hard time but if the person who's name is on the ticket is obviously not happy then it reflects on everyone, band ,crew and to some extent the audience as he won't play as well, it's a subtle thing but if you're empathetic which good musicians have to be then you feel it.

Have you ever toured using rental amps? I have and trust me despite having the perfect model you asked for 75% sound like ****.

M
Right.

Well, he does have a reputation.
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Right.

really? strange, everyone I've ever met has said he's lovely, so it's strange to hear that.

hey ho, it was a nice thing for me as I 've always like his playing from my younger days, I still have his transcriptions book from the '80's :D
Attached Thumbnails
Alternative to older Deluxe Reverbs-img_20181004_235945.jpg  
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

He's one of the very few guitarists that I ever took the time to transcribe. When I was in school he was doing that Crusaders gig, and the stuff with Steely Dan, maybe Strikes Twice iirc. Vibrolux with a Dynacomp on a lot of stuff, I think. Classy playing.
Old 15th September 2019
Quote:
Right.

One that requires him bringing his own amps if he is so picky about them?

You get what you ask for on tour. When touring with Stevie Wonder we brought 3 spares of everything, except Ben Bridges' 1967 Deluxe Reverb amp and the Yamaha grand piano.
Old 15th September 2019
Lives for gear

I am late to the party so this info is probably too late but the Dr. Z Carmen Ghia IS just like my vintage Deluxe Reverb without the reverb. Granted, it only has two controls, volume and tone but it sounds about as close as one can get to a vintage Deluxe Reverb. I bought a reverb pedal for those times I wanted reverb in live situations.

Don't know how I missed this thread.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post

You get what you ask for on tour. When touring with Stevie Wonder we brought 3 spares of everything, except Ben Bridges' 1967 Deluxe Reverb amp and the Yamaha grand piano.

That's comparing apples and oranges.

Stevie Wonder is doing consecutive dates with an extensive support staff and transportation.

People like LC are typically doing one-off dates without a support staff separated geographically and chronologically.

For instance Bill Frisell just played Fri/Sat in Austin. Used two rented amplifiers and only brought himself and a small pedal board with a handful of guitars. It's not practical for those performers to tour with backline gear no matter how picky they are about what is available at the gig much less tour with multiples. Granted he was using two Deluxe Reverbs which are easily available in Austin, TX but the concept is the same. They aren't going to board a plane with four Dumbles.

When dealing with Dumble clones I can easily see having to go through a few to find one built by someone who had a clue as to what they were doing. Probably some of the most copied designs that have been built incorrectly that you can find out there. Lots of them look pretty on the outside and are nasty on the inside.

Cheers,
Brock
Old 17th September 2019
Here for the gear

This is such a strange forum. Everyone is so busy pounding on each other they all forgot about the OP. A guy is looking for a low cost alternative to a vintage Deluxe Reverb and all reasonable alternatives get drown out by the angry mob.

Carvin Nomad is another sleeper amp that gets close to Deluxe Reverb territory and can be found for under $500. FWIW

Yes, if you are a tech and you don't like working on HRD series amps, just say no and don't fecking work on em. It really is that simple to take your life back and reduce the inner rage. For the rest of us who have been happily gigging these things since 2005 with zero failures, it falls on deaf ears. They are dirt cheap and sound reasonably good regardless of what is inside em.

Glad Larry finally found a good alternative to the bombed out, torn up HRD rentals he used for like 8 years in Europe. A Bludotone is certainly nice kit but @ $5k it is hardly within the TS budget. Larry used to be a busy LA session guy and we would catch him at the Baked Potato every now and then. I think he is in Nashville these days. Great player.

Carry on gents...
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post

he does. As I said he has 3, one in USA one in Europe and one in Japan. The European one got stuck in customs coming from one non EU country to Dublin.

I replied to the OP at the end of my first post :D

M
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajundaddy View Post
This is such a strange forum. Everyone is so busy pounding on each other they all forgot about the OP. A guy is looking for a low cost alternative to a vintage Deluxe Reverb and all reasonable alternatives get drown out by the angry mob.
Well... that was five years ago. I hope he has his amp sorted out by now
Old 18th September 2019
Lives for gear

Dr. Z Z-Lux. Can be run at Vibrolux or Deluxe Reverb power. Nice verb and Tremolo.

Or look at the various kits and clones out there.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search