The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Who here plays an Electric Guitar?
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

Who here plays an Electric Guitar?

Hey guys i would love to get some feedback from current electric guitar players and the amps they are using. I'm working on a project to develop better and more portable amplifiers and would like to determine if there is a high interest. Your opinions will be greatly appreciated and if the product is developed, i will offer it to the community first.

Survey Link:
https://whitman.qualtrics.com/SE/?SI...q89OPqkz3NQqNf

Also post your opinions below.

Best,
Btdubs
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

What about size and volume? This might be a factor.. What type of application are you looking at?
Old 22nd October 2013
Well right now I have 4 guitars (A Gibson 68' Reissue Les Paul Custom, Gibson Es-335 Dot, Japanese partscaster with 70s Ibanez copy body Strat, 1987 Japanese Strat) This year I've really gone off Fender and my Gibsons are getting all the playing time (they just suit me so much more in every regard really).

At the moment I'm really favoring the Les Paul Custom, I can get nice cleans out of it. I can't quite match the Jazz tone my ES-335 but I would say it gets pretty close and it is honestly just as resonant to my ears. It makes the ES-335 sound kind of wimpy on overdrive though which is where the Les Paul sounds absolutely glorious. By the way, if you're looking for a good overdrive pedal I really recommend the Wampler Tweed 57 pedal, it sounds fantastic to my ears, I actually really love it for playing Hendrix with my Les Paul as well (yes I prefer using a Les Paul to play Hendrix than a Strat).

I also find I can get pretty dark sounds out of that and this will be helpful as I want to do a project that's a mix of ambient and maybe Black metal or dark, atmospheric rock.

For my amp I'm using a New Zealand made amp, it's a Jansen 6Thirty which was made sometime in the 60s. I think a lot of them were Fender Bassman copies, not sure if the 6Thirty model is.

Hope this description was helpful in some way.

EDIT: Sorry I misread and thought you wanted guitar recommendations as well! As my amp is a Kiwi made one, I guess my post is somewhat useless, sorry!
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Guru

There are well over 100 different small builders offering a dizzying selection of fine hand wired amplifiers as well as more affordable PCB and hybrid alternatives.

In locations with high density housing and volume restrictions, there is a strong market
for apartment friendly amps, but those people also have a broad selection to choose from.

If you want to develop something where there's still a wide open market, you might consider a high quality 2 channel, Tube, Mic Preamp-D/I at a reasonable price point.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Good luck with the marketing survey. This niche is a tough one to crack. There are already phenomenal products out there for players at all levels of quality and cost. Personally, I've been using RedPlate Amps for the past couple years. They've made me dump all my non-collectable amps, ridiculously good product.
Old 26th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks so much for the great responses guys.
I know this is a very niche market which is why i feel the customer's opinion matters the most. I am also not so knowledgeable about guitar amps so this will help further my research. In terms of everyone's current amps, do they feel that the price they pay for it is adequate for the quality?
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdubs View Post
I know this is a very niche market...I am also not so knowledgeable about guitar amps
I play electric. What is it that you are familiar with that makes you want to get into an extremely competitive market, competing with others who are very knowledgeable already with guitar amps?
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Guru

The true genius in music gear retail comes from those making & selling affordable must have musician's accessories.

Something any musician can afford with less than $20-$50.00. Pocket money.

Something ultra handy and helpful like the new headstock tuners.
Old 27th October 2013
Deleted User
There are many really good amps modelled after the Champ -- there is the boutique 5 watt little amp made by Swart for one, the Fender Champ, and I'm sure that Victoria Amps, Carr, Dr Z and other 5 watters exist too.

Also there are boutique amps that adapt tube amps from movie projectors, old accordion amplifiers and stuff like that. These are popular with Canadian indy acts like Bahamas, Kathleen Edwards, etc...

If you're a gear slut you already have a collection of half a dozen guitar amps -- well at least two or three...so from a business or economic standpoint there may be dwindling utility as the gear slut collects his seventh or eighth guitar amp.

What about a guitar amp, or general-purpose monaural PA amp that is designed to be driven from 500 series modules like an API 512? Of course if you already have a clean tube amp like the Deluxe or the Bassman it is pretty good as a PA/accordion/guitar amp.

Go for it, and good luck.
Old 27th October 2013
Here for the gear

I noticed that one of the questions on the survey talks about it being a "headphone-oriented" amp, and for that reason I have no interest. If I wanted to play with headphones, I could just plug into my computer or even my phone. That being said, I do love small amps, and am very interested in them. I just don't understand buying a "headphone-oriented" amp.
Good luck!
Old 27th October 2013
Quote:
Hey guys i would love to get some feedback from current electric guitar players and the amps they are using. I'm working on a project to develop better and more portable amplifiers and would like to determine if there is a high interest. Your opinions will be greatly appreciated and if the product is developed, i will offer it to the community first.

Survey Link:
https://whitman.qualtrics.com/SE/?SI...q89OPqkz3NQqNf

Also post your opinions below.

Best,
Btdubs
I can't imagine you could possibly get much useful information from that survey, which I did complete to the extent possible. Someone needs to study up on consumer metrics.
Old 27th October 2013
Here for the gear

Since many of you own quite a few amps, is there a main reason that you switch from one amp to another. I know the current amps in the market that are portable may not offer the best sound quality that everyone desires and we plan to find ways to fix that.
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Guru

Each of my amps has quite a unique character, so I go through them to hear which one best suites the composition.

It's not about volume, but about natural tones in my situation.

I can run them low volume or wide open if the situation calls for it.
Old 28th October 2013
Deleted User
I can see putting in a headphone jack, but most of the time I prefer to play through a speaker, even at low volume.

BTW I associate most low-watt transistor as having poor tone, but if you married a recording quality DI or mic pre -- I think that would be a different story. But ditch the idea of cheap hi-fi **** cause i ain't interested.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

This is a class project, no? Are you seriously interested in making a new boutique amp? No prob helping out, I did the survey, but it won't get you there.

BTW; I did the test about 5 minutes ago, and suddenly, I'm getting "Malicious Threat Blocked" messages; something I haven't seen for 5 or 6 months on this computer. About 4 of them already.
Old 28th October 2013
Live: Peavey 5150 212
Vox AC15

Studio: Vox Pathfinder
Fender Deluxe
Marshall Plexi
Old 29th October 2013
Here for the gear

This is a project for an entrepreneurship class, i have been contacting manufacturers and electrical engineers to input some ideas. Using the survey and comments/suggestions, would greatly help me narrow down to specific details and materials.
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is a project for an entrepreneurship class, i have been contacting manufacturers and electrical engineers to input some ideas. Using the survey and comments/suggestions, would greatly help me narrow down to specific details and materials.
Thought so.

Just as a suggestion, your survey does not begin dig into the specifics of why players make specific choices. The thing about headphone capabilities is an iceberg tip and nearly a non-issue. Few players need that, and the market for great sounding low-wattage amps (1-5 watts) with headphone capabilities is flush with choices already.

You need to dig into the psychographics of why one choice is made over another. It's often got little to do with technical features or actual sound quality. Find out about how things like cosmetics, brand prestige, celebrity persuasion, advertising presence, etc... might influence spending.
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Guru

You'll have more success trying to first define and then fill an unfilled need, a wide open market.

Like the guitar stand pick holder.

Something right under your nose that no one else is doing or no one else is doing justice.
Old 29th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks for the great suggestions and comments.
Since i'm half way into the project currently and received some mixed comments from retailers, i'm still looking for ways to improve my project instead of switching the product. I know that the current market has a large number of small Amps but based on survey results a majority are interested in quality sounding amps and the average price point is $150. We are still looking at materiAl makeup and determining the quality/price cost
Old 30th October 2013
from the content on the questionnaire it sounds like yer aiming for a "Vox Headphone Amp" type product which retails for about $40. or maybe a "Roland MicroCube" which retails for $150. i think they're interesting devices but I have yet to pick either one up, despite being inexpensive.
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the great suggestions and comments.
Since i'm half way into the project currently and received some mixed comments from retailers, i'm still looking for ways to improve my project instead of switching the product. I know that the current market has a large number of small Amps but based on survey results a majority are interested in quality sounding amps and the average price point is $150. We are still looking at materiAl makeup and determining the quality/price cost
One hurdle you may have to jump in offering a product that sounds great at $150 is that many players won't think it sounds great at that price, no matter what it sounds like. Increased price points are used very effectively to place products in the market; to increase their appeal.
Old 5th November 2013
Here for the gear

Playing a 1996 G&L Asat Special with a Peavy Classic 30 amp and a 112 E extension cabinet. Great set up, thanks to a "little help from my friends"! Love strats but this guitar has so many possibilities! Still learning!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search