The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
How often do you circulate your gear?
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Nut

How often do you circulate your gear?

I was wondering how often do you guys sell your gear and get new ones?
for my self I hate parting with any of my gear and I love buying used stuff.
Plus I abuse the **** out of them. So I'm not gonna get a good price for selling them.
But some of the stuff that I have owned through the years ended up not being used at all (they just didn't have the vibe) like I had a Parker P44 pro, great guitar bought it because of a moment of GASing but ended up regretting it and had to sell it.
So what about you gaice how do you feel about selling your gear? and why do you sell it?
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amer312 View Post
Umm, constantly (in fact, I just bought a guitar a couple days ago and I am planning on selling another one next week). It's the nature of the beast when suffering from G.A.S.

Quote:
how do you feel about selling your gear? and why do you sell it?
Sometimes I really regret it - other times it feels like a weight has been removed from my back. I often sell to pay for new gear that I want more - other times it is out of financial necessity (which is always the worst - nothing like having to choose between a cherished guitar and the rent payment). When I collect too many guitars (anything over 10 for me), I feel like I simply need to thin the herd and get down to essentials.

The cycle never ends.
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

I've done a lot of horsetrading... as long as you're trading up and suiting the sound you're going for then do what you need to do. I've got a good, yet small selection of rad stuff to pick through and I'm now at a point where I don't really want to lose anything in order to get something new...

... so I'm done trading... but I'm sure I'm not done buying in the long run.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Guru

I take the time to do the research and then save up and pretty much never sell anything.

I have a few items that were cheap hold overs, but they're still around too gathering dust.
Old 22nd October 2013
Quote:
Plus I abuse the **** out of them. So I'm not gonna get a good price for selling them.
But some of the stuff that I have owned through the years ended up not being used at all (they just didn't have the vibe) like I had a Parker P44 pro, great guitar bought it because of a moment of GASing but ended up regretting it and had to sell it.
So what about you gaice how do you feel about selling your gear? and why do you sell it?
I sell everything I don't use regularly. I sell it because it makes absolutely no sense to hoard equipment that isn't being used. Instruments/effects etc. are meant to be played. I sell them so someone else can actually use them.

One of the strangest videos I've seen is a you tube video of Yngwie Malmsteen in his studio with like 50 vintage strats all thrown all over the floor, stacked on top of each other. Here you have all these valuable guitars that could be played and enjoyed by somebody, but they're e just gathering dust on his studio floor.

If you don't use it, sell it or donate it.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Guru

I'm talking about stuff like my Peavy Mark III bass head that sounds like ass but refuses to die. I keep it as a dire emergency backup.
Old 23rd October 2013
I'm always cycling gear. I love trying new stuff!
Old 23rd October 2013
Then there are the cases where you've sold some gear, and years later end up scouring the damn earth for the same gear because you need "that" sound. Sometimes things work out, sometimes not.

True- gear is meant to be played, but there's also something to be said for holding onto things as well.
Old 23rd October 2013
Anything that doesn't see use in six months usually ends up being sold, and usually with that money I get something else to try out.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

I sold out a complete rack rig of pre-MIDI stuff in the early 90's After buying a new MIDI controlled set up because I thought "I would never need any other amp now that I have my Mesa Triaxis" and regretted it ever since. It not that I don't love the Triaxis, I certainly still do, there were so many other flavors available to me from the old stuff I still lust after. After that I vowed never to sell anything for any reason, which of course I've broken to the same regrets ( but only a SPX 90). the last time I sold A piece of gear was 2001 and I'm holding strong. Of course I love everything I have and haven't purchased anything new that it turned out I didn't like or couldn't use. I wonder though about there being a point where it becomes economically unwise with accumulating guitars and the cost of keeping them restrung regularly , haven't crossed that line yet but I could see it looming somewhere out there ahead of me. "He went belly up trying to keep fresh strings on all his guitars"
??????? LOL! Any one think it's ridiculous being a 62 year old man living out his boyhood dreams?
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

When it comes to guitar stuff...not much anymore. When I was younger, I tried a ton of things, amps, PUs, guitars, pedals, etc. I used to basically redo some amount of the rig every few years for a new album. But, now, I feel like I've distilled down to "my sounds". I own 4 electrics--3 in use, one mostly sentimental and stays in its case--so, call it three. An ash strat, alder Tele, and a Heritage 335 clone with a Duncan in the bridge. Then, I have 4 amps--maybe one too many, but they basically are hardwired modded Plexi, Bassman, and modern el84 bastard. The fourth is another. fender vibe Fralin VVT--which does "SRV in a box" better than any amp I've ever played. I have a handful of pedals-Wah, trem, buffer/boost...and a few drives. I could probabaly lose a drive and be fine.

Buy, here's the thing. They sound great. Recorded. low volume. cranked to stage volume. I don't know what more I could need/want. I could make do with less...but, why? I own them...they're easily repairable (hardwired)...And there's no single guitar or amp that can get that range of tones. i can go from SRV to Winger to modern country to pop...and can do dirty blues or clean jazzy blues. A lifetime of tones and styles.

I have no real want. Some days I feel like a fender....sometimes a Marshall...sometimes my custom bastard. I guess in terms of space, it would be cool if they were all heads with a couple cabs...but, I've always thought the combo was the most "as intended" design.

Bass? I own a couple P basses--4 and 5 string. One with flats one with rounds. Tons of ground that won't cover, but as a bassist, "my sound" is much narrower--old fingerstyle R&B. I also have a Carvin fretless I love, as I spent more than a decade playing only fretless.

Acoustic? one. The Taylor I bought when I was like 19. I've only found a few I liked better over the years, and they were CRAZY money-handbuilt stuff. And I've never been an acoustic player at heart.

Anyway...so, I'd say how often you switch out gear has a lot to do with where you are on the path...and how narrow your sound is--which isn't inheirently good or bad. Jamerson played a P his whole adult life. Clapton, swapped stuff out at first...ended up with the strat. Amps changed with styles. Focus can be a good thing.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by allphourus View Post
"He went belly up trying to keep fresh strings on all his guitars"
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

I like that "circulate your gear". It has a nice ring. I circulate every week or two. And there have been many times when I should have circulated and didn't. Now those pieces make nice, though expensive, decorative additions to my racks. Anybody need some JVC D9 decks?
L.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Guru

I do circulate my gear as far as working with different amps for a certain sound on a particular song.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Guru

I once went a dozen years without buying or selling any gear. For me, it's a process of refinement and extension rather than circulation. If something isn't working out for me, I let it go just to clear up space. That's kind of rare, though, as I'm very picky about what comes home in the first place. If something fulfills a requirement particularly well, it's unlikely I'll ever part with it.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Guru

Well, I'm on my 3rd dishwasher, 2nd fridge, washer & dryer, water heater and water pressure tank, and I just blew $2400 replacing the pump to my septic system, or I might
have been able to buy some more stuff.
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear
Probably too much.
I buy to sell and sell to buy.
I love trying new gear, and being able to talk from experience. So, I try to get my hands on it.
If it gets a lot of hype, I can be a big sucker, but GS has helped that. Crap gets hyped here too often.

But yeah, I am totally out of hand for a guy that does 4-5 CD projects a year.

I do prefer gear that holds value or increases, and I baby my stuff.

D
Old 24th October 2013
There are some larger pieces that i would never trade or sell since they have sentimental value. For things like mics, pedals, etc. i like to have experience with as much equipment as possible, so im constantly moving gear.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Well, I'm on my 3rd dishwasher, 2nd fridge, washer & dryer, water heater and water pressure tank, and I just blew $2400 replacing the pump to my septic system, or I might
have been able to buy some more stuff.
Ah Reality, the ultimate drug.
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by allphourus View Post
Ah Reality, the ultimate drug.
This is why I now take the time to save and go for amps that will last for Decades and still be easy to repair & find parts for decades from now.

If I have something that hasn't disappeared on loaner to a friend, then the stuff I'm willing to get rid of usually ends up going out in some sort of barter.

It may have more worth to me traded for skills in something I need done.

There's also charity.

I really liked my little Epiphone Valve Jr. Head,
but after the flood down in Nashville,
I donated it to help musicians who lost everything.
Old 17th November 2013
Gear Maniac

Never.
Old 17th November 2013
Lives for gear

I have no plans of ever selling all my musical equipment. But I occasionally sell a couple things I am not using very much to help me pay for something I really want but couldn't afford if I didn't sell stuff. I keep the real keepers. I like having a bunch of guitars and a bunch of different amplifiers so I can pick and choose to suit a particular situation.
Old 17th November 2013
Here for the gear

The only way of knowing what equipment will best suit a situation is by knowing what is out there and what it can do.

I always find myself doing hours of research before I buy gear and I have very rarely regretted a purchase. If it's not for me I sell it on.

Sometimes I will sell to fund new gear but I really try not to (saves regretting it down the track).
Old 17th November 2013
Lives for gear

Not too often here. Mostly buying. I tend to create uses for my gear, not the other way around though.

In my early 20s, I made the mistake of selling off everything but my Jaguar, a Hartke bass amp and speakers, an Ibanez bass, and a crap tiny guitar amp. When I was in a better financial position, I vowed to never do that again. I may only use a piece of gear once a year, but the option for that particular sound is always there, and I would certainly miss it if it was gone. I'd rather have too many available tools than not enough. At least this way I'm not pressured into buying new at retail very often.

AFA selling my prized guitar: it'll have to be pried out of my cold, dead hands.
Old 19th November 2013
when i'm ready for an upgrade, can make it fit in the budget & don't have a use for the old one.
Old 19th November 2013
Lives for gear

Unfortunately I am not rich. I am slowly migrating to higher end gear but there are definitely a few 'lower' end items I will never get rid of; e.g. Vla ll, gap-73, dbx 160, etc... Because I don't care what they costs as long as they work good. And they do Still if I want that mohog or daking comp something more than likely is gonna have to go unless I get a salary raise, a very good paying client and contract, raise my rates, or win the lottery.
I finally sold an alesis 3630 I have owned for over a decade. I had been using it the past five years as a brace and measuring tool for diy studio racks I make on the side for extra loot (cause I don't care if I accidentally send a circular saw through it)
I think I spent the money on gas and cigarettes.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G
Old 19th November 2013
Lives for gear

buy used sell used and you hardly ever lose money. this allows me to buy gear and upgrade all the time.
Old 21st November 2013
Lives for gear

never getting rid of anything is how you end up with more guitars, amps and gear than you'll ever need and eventually have to build a house with a special room just to store all of it.
I try to research my acquisitions so I don't end up with stuff I won't be happy with, or end up not needing at all, and I try my best to avoid impulse buying, unless it's something I've been seeking for some time and come across at a price that is too good to pass up.
But when I do end up with something that I later deem to be not so usable for me I sell it. Plus I don't abuse gear so when it sells it's in the same condition I received it in.
Old 21st November 2013
Lives for gear

Over the last year and a half I have been getting rid of tons of stuff. I live in Maryland and actually had a storage locker in Boston filled with guitars and amps. A lot of them were things I had collected over the years and some of it was cool but the fact of the matter was a lot of it was never going to get used.

I have traded a large volume of guitars to a couple dealers who had a guitar that I wanted but were sick of having a high value item that was going to take a few years to sell so I traded a whole mess of some stuff and maybe a little cash either way for one really special guitar or amp (I got a Burst this way for example).

I have a few things I would never sell and lately have been looking for more and more of those types of things.
Old 30th November 2013
Quote:
I almost never sell gear. I can't remember the last time I did. Anything I might want to sell probably wouldn't fetch enough to be worth the trouble - I'd just give it away to a beginner or somebody with lower standards or not enough cash to buy something good.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search