The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Bypass Looper and the Signal Path
Old 21st October 2013
Here for the gear

Bypass Looper and the Signal Path

Hi everybody,

Long time listener, first time caller.

I've looked for this information, i know there are a lot of bypass looper threads up but i couldn't find one that answered all my questions.

My signal path

Tele - TU2 - whammy - Cry Baby - MXR GTOD - Rocktron Blackjack - Electric Mistress - Line 6 DL4 - Reverb - Fender Deluxe

I basically want a looper so i can cut between various effects 'clusters'.

1. Can i only create an effects loop from adjacent peddles if i want to maintain my signal path? Ideally I would like the whammy and the electric mistress in one loop. If i want to add distortion to that i would be putting distortion on top of flanger, which doesn't sound as good.

2. If i have a loop set up, eg. OD and Dist can i cancel a single peddle in the loop after i have triggered them both? i.e. od+dist --> od

I know there are programmable loopers available but the ones I've seen are just too expensive.

Or maybe i should just get some tap dancing lessons?!

Hope someone can help

cheers

jim
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear
With most hardware bypass loopers, you can switch in and out effects that are adjacent to each other. So if your Whammy and Electric mistress are connected together, they can be on a loop. These can be had in multiple loops and usually cost under $100. Non-programmable, just switching "loops" of pedals in and out.

If you want to switch in and out pedals that aren't connected serially, then you'll need to move up to things like the Voodoo Labs products like their GCX switcher and pedalboard, which is a big investment.

What you're asking to do is the programmable looper products, which will be more expensive because you're asking them to do a lot more.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Just get two small loop pedals and put them next to each other so that you can step on them both at once. The Mogoo is small and inexpensive, and has loop indicator LEDs:

Mogoo Looper
Old 21st October 2013
I've done this same thing. I had a large pedal board and a looper. It was set up in chains. I had a loop for all my OD pedals, a loop for all modulation, a loop with all fuzz, etc... Within each loop I had various options. Works great. Check out loopmaster. He makes them with all kinds of options.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

I've got a Rocktron Loop 8 Floor programmable bypass looper. Eight loops that can be foot switched on-off or programmed on-off as part of a patch. Would fit all your pedals.
Old 22nd October 2013
Here for the gear

Awesome, thanks everyone.

An idea is beginning to form... still could take a while!

NO SLEEP TILL BEDTIME! X
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

By the way, that Mogoo loop pedal can be had for a lot less than $85. I've seen them as low as $25 new shipped direct from China. I think it's a clone of the Keeley box, which is $85....moral/legal implications not withstanding.

I have a Keeley branded one. I've also had a couple custom loop pedals made by Loopmaster. One that switches between 2 loops, and one that does the same, but also switches my amp's channel. Loopmaster is high quality and inexpensive, but may take a few weeks to get.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
It is possible to build a box to switch order of a pair of effects or chains of effects. You could use this to move an effect from one to another place in the chain. It is possible to turn your OD on/off while inside the loop (just step on it like you would without the loop).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search