The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Which bass guitar has most value for recording?
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by therock View Post
guess again
You should still take the rest of my post to heart. I have plenty of buddies like you. They are crazed music fans from a technical perspective, but lack true appreciation for musical simplicity, beauty, lyrics, meaning and emotion. I always go with a mediocre instrumentalist with a creative artistic ear over an amazing instrumentalist without one.
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear
Back to the OP... If you're looking for what works, any japanese P/J combo will do for passive, bolt-neck. Add money for a pickup upgrade if necessary (my $139 Squire Jbass with Dimarzio Humbucking pickups sounds really good recorded). Then spend a bit more for a neckthru bass with active electronics: Yamaha, Carvin, Peavey, Cort etc-all will serve your needs and again, you can upgrade electronics if necessary. Learn to solder and it's not even expensive. That will meet your studio needs for the moment.
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by archfrenemy View Post
You should still take the rest of my post to heart. I have plenty of buddies like you. They are crazed music fans from a technical perspective, but lack true appreciation for musical simplicity, beauty, lyrics, meaning and emotion. I always go with a mediocre instrumentalist with a creative artistic ear over an amazing instrumentalist without one.
You are making some assumptions here. You have read a handful of my posts and because you disagree with them I am a "crazed music fan" ?? and I "lack true appreciation for musical simplicity, beauty, lyrics, meaning and emotion." And I only appreciate "amazing instrumentalist" without a "creative artistic ears"??

comon man, you have never met me nor have heard any music I have written, produced or played on. You certainly don't know what is in my CD or LP collection. Certainly my back catalog and Cd collection could in fact exemplify musical simplicity, lack beauty, have no lyrics, have no meaning and have no emotion, but you make this assumption because I don't think a Pbass is a versatile instrument?? or I don't prefer James Jamerson??

It wouldn't be fair to you for me to make an assumption that your music or your appreciation of music exemplifies musical simplicity, beauty, lyrics, meaning and emotion. based on reading 4 of your posts.

wow
Old 30th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:

comon man, you have never met me nor have heard any music I have written, produced or played on.

We're all ears! CLIPS?
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
You are making some assumptions here. You have read a handful of my posts and because you disagree with them I am a "crazed music fan" ?? and I "lack true appreciation for musical simplicity, beauty, lyrics, meaning and emotion." And I only appreciate "amazing instrumentalist" without a "creative artistic ears"??

comon man, you have never met me nor have heard any music I have written, produced or played on. You certainly don't know what is in my CD or LP collection. Certainly my back catalog and Cd collection could in fact exemplify musical simplicity, lack beauty, have no lyrics, have no meaning and have no emotion, but you make this assumption because I don't think a Pbass is a versatile instrument?? or I don't prefer James Jamerson??

It wouldn't be fair to you for me to make an assumption that your music or your appreciation of music exemplifies musical simplicity, beauty, lyrics, meaning and emotion. based on reading 4 of your posts.

wow
It has nothing to do with any comments about a P-bass. I got that impression from your lack of respect for several songs / artists mentioned, your off topic rants on skill, and all of you chosen musical references. I don't think it was too much of a leap. Maybe you should read some of the stuff you have posted and reflect a bit.
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
It has nothing to do with any comments about a P-bass. I got that impression from your lack of respect for several songs / artists mentioned, your off topic rants on skill, and all of you chosen musical references. I don't think it was too much of a leap. Maybe you should read some of the stuff you have posted and reflect a bit.
Let's leave it at this:

I am closed minded for sure but anyone who recommends a pbass for a versatile studio workhorse is not considering all styles of music and is is not considering extending production possibilities.

Lastly a $1250 pbass is not a good value. That's all I can say. These are my core points here. If you want to debate these point fine. I can't go off on James jamerson or other off topic points like what is emotion and what is considered good lyrical content.

It comes down to what is a good versatile value bass for a studio?? I can say in my experience it is NOT a pbass. You may have a differing point of view. We agree to disagree then.
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

Rabin "Produced" the tracks before they went to Horn and gave him production credit?
Have you told Trev this? He'll want to know more "stuff".
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Ransom View Post
Rabin "Produced" the tracks before they went to Horn and gave him production credit?
right-o Rabin and Squire originally produced them. They are included on the Yesyears box set

They reproduced them with Horn. It's common knowledge Changes, It can Happen,
Owner of a lonely heart, City of love and others were written in the late 70s 1980/81 when Rabin was a still a solo artist. Pickup up the 91024 cd, it's all in the liner notes. They recorded much of the album in 1982 at Squires studio post Drama and XYZ folding. 91025 with horn was re-recorded later in early 83 when Anderson and Eddie Jobson joined. It's all documented.

Quote:
Have you told Trev this? He'll want to know more "stuff"
No I don't know him, but he wrote it in the liner notes on 90124. I also have some yes vids where he explains how in 1979 or 1980 he submitted "Owner of a Lonely heart" and "City of love" to 3 labels and they all declined. This was even years prior to Chris and Alan White recorded versions too. So some of the core the songs were produced at least 2 time prior to Horns' involvement and in the very early 80s.
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Let's leave it at this:

I am closed minded for sure but anyone who recommends a pbass for a versatile studio workhorse is not considering all styles of music and is is not considering extending production possibilities.

Lastly a $1250 pbass is not a good value. That's all I can say. These are my core points here. If you want to debate these point fine. I can't go off on James jamerson or other off topic points like what is emotion and what is considered good lyrical content.

It comes down to what is a good versatile value bass for a studio?? I can say in my experience it is NOT a pbass. You may have a differing point of view. We agree to disagree then.
I think most of the problem is in the context. You know that the OP mentioned that he currently owned 2 other basses right? He never said anything about needing a single bass workhorse to handle every style of track.

I definitely agree that buying a new bass is never the best value, but we certainly hear a P-Bass differently. So be it...
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think most of the problem is in the context. You know that the OP mentioned that he currently owned 2 other basses right? He never said anything about needing a single bass workhorse to handle every style of track.

I do also agree that buying a new bass is never the best value.
value was an initial concern. There was another post regarding versatility I thought
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

"Produced by Trevor Horn except "Hold On" produced by Trevor Horn and Yes"

I don't have my copies with me. And that text from the album above seems perplexing.
"Reproducing" implies there was no need to do any work, if Horn didn't actually produce.
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
"Produced by Trevor Horn except "Hold On" produced by Trevor Horn and Yes"

I don't have my copies with me. And that text from the album above seems perplexing.
"Reproducing" implies there was no need to do any work, if Horn didn't actually produce.
Listen to the versions on 90124 and then the versions on "Yes Years" and then on the original 1982 "Cinema" band album that was never released, at that point it won't be as perplexing. I have heard 4 versions of Owner of a lonely heart, 2 with Trevor singing, 2 with John Anderson singing. 1 with Anderson doesn't have the sampled drum break and the orchestra hits are different or not even in some sections of the song. They might be on youtube?? One of my friends produced a couple Jon Anderson Albums and my guitar teacher was in a band with the last keyboard player, I got a box of old demos and CDs that are unreleased and rare. But most of it is available on real releases or youtube.
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

The "production" is different.
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
The "production" is different.
Some songs are very different, the Trevor vocal versions are way different than Jons. Except Changes and Cinema. You can't even recognize a few songs unless you listen a couple times. Although a few songs are very similar. Horn did a fantastic job, but it's not like he played or really wrote anything on the album. I think they gave him writing credit on 'Owner' but listening to the demos from 1980 I don't see what he deserved credit for?
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

Do you understand what production is?
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you understand what production is?
well I am a producer. So no, I don't know

But I'm going through a possible legal issue now where I realized people are confused on this. I had a deal in 1992 and we did an album and it was "produced" by someone. Well I re- recorded it because it was never released originally, the label has the masters and I want to release it now for fun. We own the publishing so we can do it albeit under a different 'name' | 'entity'. But now the original producer found out I am re-producing it and he is pissed and threatening to sue me for credit. But I am redoing everything from scratch, and I wrote and arranged all the stuff along with my guitarists. So what is production? What is the legal precedence? I will soon find out, and when I do I will tell you; according to civil Law anyway. Since I have no idea what legally constitutes it. I though I knew?? guess not.
Old 30th October 2013
Lives for gear

The Lankland will serve you will... deeep sounding bass.
Old 31st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
But I'm going through a possible legal issue now where I realized people are confused on this. I had a deal in 1992 and we did an album and it was "produced" by someone. Well I re- recorded it because it was never released originally, the label has the masters and I want to release it now for fun. We own the publishing so we can do it albeit under a different 'name' | 'entity'. But now the original producer found out I am re-producing it and he is pissed and threatening to sue me for credit. But I am redoing everything from scratch, and I wrote and arranged all the stuff along with my guitarists. So what is production? What is the legal precedence? I will soon find out, and when I do I will tell you; according to civil Law anyway. Since I have no idea what legally constitutes it. I though I knew?? guess not.
New thread? Would actually like to know how this would work.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search