The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Which bass guitar has most value for recording?
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
It's a good thing, then, that nobody pays $1200 for Mexican made Fender P-basses (it's the American made Standard that costs $1200).
they are 'assembled' and qc'd in America, parts are the same
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Guru

Still waiting for those dazzling high quality professional clips of therock playing bass in any band.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by therock View Post
no..... I'm just saying that that's why people like those old pbasses.
Generally you find bass players who are not dominate musicians who like them since they hide well, they only provide a foundation. Engineers like them in busy mixes since they don't inherently impede anything since they have no midrange extension like high end basses.

Also you'll find dominate players who actually use pbasses generally use active boxes like tech 21s or some type of "preamp" to bring them more in line with active pups. Other dominate pbass players occasionally use distortion to step it up a notch this is all I'm saying.

For me the real debate hear is VALUE, please convince me a $1200 bass made in Mexico with a bolt-on neck is a good value.

go for it
Generally you find that bass players who are primarily focused on their own instrument prefer active pickups. Generally you will find that musicians and songwriters who are focused on the completed song and ideas will prefer passive pickups. One of those guys enhances every project they encounter, the other guy does not. The big picture is all that matters in music.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by archfrenemy View Post
also when it comes to sitting in the mix, tone and sustain. It is all about perspective and opinion. What a bass player might consider punchy and clean and able to push through a mix... An engineer / mixer / player might consider overly plucky / hipped in higher frequencies and extremely difficult to fit in a mix.
you are 100% right, it a taste thing. But is seems both side here are pushing their tastes equally so. As much as I push active neck thru soudn it seems other here are pushing basses they prefer. How am I the bad guy?

My perspective is simple. How many times have you recorded older noisier clunky basses and in order to get them to sit right in the mix, you have to go through all this labor of EQing, limiting/compressing gating, etc..... Why not just use something that needs no help to begin with?

It depends on the sound you want. But lets face the facts the bar is high these days.
In order to get the older basses to dominate often takes time. If you just plug in a newer bass that has active electronics the work is done. Also neck thrus just sound fuller and simply resonate more precisely. This is a big deal to me. Intonation and stable resonation is key and it's tough to get those old pbases to sound good without a lot of help. Alot of setup prior to recording even. Listen to the clips posted here, they are amateur. Just hollow and weird

But it's all a matter of taste. Although, If a bass player just plugs in and mics his amp,
hey.... gotta respect that. But if he plugs his passive bass into a tone device to shape it and then the engineer has to eq and compress the track, well at that point isn't there an issue with the source? seriously. I never compress or eq my basses. I don't have to. They sound good with no frills since they were built correctly and are really stable.

But don't get me wrong if a guy plugs his bass direct into his amp with no electronic fx or tone shaping help and the engineer simply mics it and does not finesse it after the fact??? then hats off.

But if there is help along the way then your bass is not doing the job, end of story
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by archfrenemy View Post
Generally you find that bass players who are primarily focused on their own instrument prefer active pickups. Generally you will find that musicians and songwriters who are focused on the completed song and ideas will prefer passive pickups. One of those guys enhances every project they encounter, the other guy does not. The big picture is all that matters in music.
But percentage wise bass players are rarely successful song writers. Sure there are some like Steve Harris, Paul, Geez, but in general 90% of all songwriters are singers or guitar players. In popular music anyway.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
you are 100% right, it a taste thing. But is seems both side here are pushing their tastes equally so. As much as I push active neck thru soudn it seems other here are pushing basses they prefer. How am I the bad guy?

My perspective is simple. How many time have you recorded older noisy clunky basses and in order to get them to sit right i nthe mix, you have to go through all this labor of EQing compressing gating, etc..... Why not just use something that needs no help to begin with?

It depends on the sound you want. but lets face the facts the bar is high these days.
In orderto get the older basses to dominate takes time. If you just plugin a newer bass that has active electronics the work is done. Also neck thrus just sound fuller and simply resonate more precisely. This is a big deal to me. It's tough to get those old pbases to sound good without a lot of help. Listen to the clips posted here, there are amateur
You are not the bad guy here... I do find it almost impossible to believe that you think a vintage P-Bass needs a ton of work to fit in a mix, while a newer active pickup bass needs no processing. I have had the complete opposite experience in every possible way. My guess is that you are primarily focused on individual instrument performance and not the overall sound / songwriting.

There are plenty of bass players out there who are primarily focused on their role in the songwriting / mix, not on their own instrument.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Guru

This is a strong Rickenbacker track.

A good Rick 4003 with a true neck goes for what $2000.00 +/-

Suddenly an American P-Bass or Jazz Bass doesn't sound so costly after all.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
For me the real debate hear is VALUE, please convince me a $1200 bass made in Mexico with a bolt-on neck is a good value.
Where are all these mythical $1200 Mexican Fender basses?
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Guru

Finding a good solid workhorse bass with a true neck is like trying to find a good horse.
A Noble Steed strong enough and well mannered enough to see you through anything.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
you are 100% right, it a taste thing.

My perspective is simple. How many times have you recorded older noisier clunky basses and in order to get them to sit right in the mix, you have to go through all this labor of EQing, limiting/compressing gating, etc..... Why not just use something that needs no help to begin with?

It depends on the sound you want. But lets face the facts the bar is high these days.

In order to get the older basses to dominate often takes time. If you just plug in a newer bass that has active electronics the work is done. Also neck thrus just sound fuller and simply resonate more precisely.
Para 1: Yep.

Para 2: Same amount of times as I've had to reshape actives.

Para 3: The "bar" is different, remember, you just said this was a "taste thing".

Para 4: You like the bass to automatically be a prominently featured element in a mix, and suggest the frequency response above the bass region is the way to do it properly. And should be done with 9 (or occasionally 18 volt) electronics and miniaturised circuits.
You like the idea that a glued-in or through neck is automatically "better" than a bolt-on due to it's resonance, but I'm not sure what is "accurate" about a glued or through neck - The bass's body (mass) is not "tuned" to each note on the bass.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Where are all these mythical $1200 Mexican Fender basses?
someone posted a pbass for 1250

Please don't tell me you think USA 'stamped' guitars are actually made in the states.
Regardless do you really think people in America who work on assembly lines are more 'skilled' than people in Mexico who work on assembly lines??? And do you actually think that most people in America who work on assembly lines are not actually from Mexico in the first place? Do you think CNC machines, injection molding, casting tooling etc.... are more high quality in the states than in Mexico or china for that matter? If so think again.

"Made in USA" only guarantees the quality control department is in the USA. I'm not sure if you know anything about guitars but what matters besides the original design is the materials and quality of materials used. I have picked up USA, Mexico, China, South Korea, Taiwan made guitars, and in 2013 there is absolutely no correlation between country of origin and quality. I know you and other want to believe there is but unless a guitar is 100% made by hand in a small shop there is very very little difference these with exceptions. Many times you swap the hardware and pickups and the differences does not exist. Maple is maple, polyester is polyester. It's hit or miss.

I think with the exception of few companies like Gibson custom Shop, Hamer and PRS and a few other very high quality companies, there is no difference in quality based on country of origin. with the small of exception of a few misc parts. All of which can easily be swapped out. Everything is machine made now. All bodies and necks are cut on CNC. A guy is not hand selecting a solid piece of wood and carving a neck and body with a spokeshave at any large USA plant. No way not in 50 years.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Guru

A Rick 4001 or 4003 will sing like a bird with sustain if you want it to, but working with one on studio time having to set up amps, speakers, mic's, testing and tweaking will cost time and money.

A Jazz or P-Bass are usually ready to go, maybe trim treble a bit and you're fine D/I
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
The only semi-affordable import bass I've tried recently to catch my attention,
was the Gretsch Hollow Body

They come long scale and short both about $900.00

Nice playing & sounding bass for something other than a classic Fender sound.

Yep! I was going to metnion that one too...also on my short list, right after the ESP LTD bass...
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Try to get a precision bass. For a cheaper value, try the "telecaster" basses, with the precision style body.

Then, jazz bass/G&L's/stingray's get into a bit of a wash territory.

After that, rickenbackers and hofners... maybe gibson thunderbird or the sg style (eb I think?)... but those can get real ****ty sounding, real fast.

After that, all the nu-school basses.

This is my assessment of "likeliness of bass sounding good on an arbitrary track".

FWIW, I don't say this because I own a p-bass, I happen to own a fretless stingray.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Guru

I've heard 2 Telecaster Basses and they sound fantastic and I like the Tele Bass Neck better than the P-Bass Neck.

They were both sweet woody natural sounding basses.

Worth a try if you get your hands on one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
Try to get a precision bass. For a cheaper value, try the "telecaster" basses, with the precision style body.

Then, jazz bass/G&L's/stingray's get into a bit of a wash territory.

After that, rickenbackers and hofners... maybe gibson thunderbird or the sg style (eb I think?)... but those can get real ****ty sounding, real fast.

After that, all the nu-school basses.

This is my assessment of "likeliness of bass sounding good on an arbitrary track".

FWIW, I don't say this because I own a p-bass, I happen to own a fretless stingray.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
someone posted a pbass for 1250

Please don't tell me you think USA 'stamped' guitars are actually made in the states.
Regardless do you really think people in America who work on assembly lines are more 'skilled' than people in Mexico who work on assembly lines??? And do you actually think that most people in America who work on assembly lines are not actually from Mexico in the first place? Do you think CNC machines, injection molding, casting tooling etc.... are more high quality in the states than in Mexico or china for that matter? If so think again.

"Made in USA" only guarantees the quality control department is in the USA. I'm not sure if you know anything about guitars but what matters besides the original design is the materials and quality of materials used. I have picked up USA, Mexico, China, South Korea, Taiwan made guitars, and in 2013 there is absolutely no correlation between country of origin and quality. I know you and other want to believe there is but unless a guitar is 100% made by hand in a small shop there is very very little difference these with exceptions. Many times you swap the hardware and pickups and the differences does not exist. Maple is maple, polyester is polyester. It's hit or miss.

I think with the exception of few companies like Gibson custom Shop, Hamer and PRS and a few other very high quality companies, there is no difference in quality based on country of origin. with the small of exception of a few misc parts. All of which can easily be swapped out. Everything is machine made now. All bodies and necks are cut on CNC. A guy is not hand selecting a solid piece of wood and carving a neck and body with a spokeshave at any large USA plant. No way not in 50 years.
A link was posted to an AMERICAN P-bass for $1200, not a Mexican.

<DELETED BY MODERATOR>
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Guru

OP's Gone!
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
A link was posted to an AMERICAN P-bass for $1200, not a Mexican.

but those are essentially the same as mexican ones, it's all the cheap asian parts.

Quote:
Seriously, man, you are totally unhinged.
ummm yeah except I'm not going to pay 1200 for a bass with a bolt on neck and polyester finish
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
OP's Gone!
maybe the youtube videos scared him?
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear
Sooo... Going back to the OP. If you want a number of different sounds, then buying a couple of bases makes sense. The G&L is going to be a more modern sounding bass, in the Musicman vein. Any individual bass can vary but I'd generally agree with "more snap, maybe less sustain" from a bolt neck. And the USA G&Ls hold their value pretty well. Since you've got the traditional J and P bass styles covered, the only other thing would be a neck-thru version. Maybe the Polish ones for that?
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
maybe the youtube videos scared him?
At least I actually own the real deal and had the guts to back it up with clips.

You've brought nothing of merit to this discussion.
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
At least I actually own the real deal
I have a pbass in my studio, it's a bass that is cool to have around but don't mistake it for an all in one solution, or one bass that fits all. Since it is pretty much a one trick pony. It's not a bass that will give you a unique sound ever.

Quote:
You've brought nothing of merit to this discussion.
Sure I have, you told me I gave bad advice, remember?? even bad advice has merit.
To be honest I'm just sick of cliches. Pbass being one of them. It's boring, vanilla
predictable, you know what's coming next, it's got no zip, no spice, no balls. It's like mac and cheese or bread and water, it's the Toyota Corrolla of basses, the ellio's of pizza,
If it was a TV it would be black and white, if it was a haircut it would be a mullet.....

It's just been done. You know??? not to get too off topic or whatever, but half the reason new music these days is a completely boring yawnfest is because musicians have no imagination, and ya know what?? it's starts and ends with the instrument and the player.

You play a 60 year old instrument often your music sounds 60 years old
We need to move on. You live in the past and it's all just a stalemate.
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Guru

By all means, please do post a clip of you playing your Fender Precision Bass.
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
By all means, please do post a clip of you playing your Fender Precision Bass.
will do
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Guru

Maybe watch how the big boys play.

Old 29th October 2013
Gear Guru

Buy the real deal, especially living in Finland

If you choose to re-sell, an American Fender will always be the most desirable to anyone looking to upgrade.
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
...half the reason new music these days is a completely boring yawnfest is because musicians have no imagination, and ya know what?? it's starts and ends with the instrument and the player.
Wow...
;-)
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Guru

And yet no clips of him playing to back it up.

I mean after all that's been said, we gotta hear his band.
Old 29th October 2013
Lives for gear

But if you look at the assertions - it isn't really about bass or music. They are just the medium.
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Nut

Not that much of help... but I remember when I was around 11-13 years old(mid 90's), and all I had was this Fostex Digital 8-track, a drum machine, a Fender guitar and some dynamic mics.

So everytime I needed to record some bass tracks I had to go to the local music shop and borrow one. One time I borrowed this G&L bass, it looked great, it had this blue sparklish sunburst... and was quite heavy to carry home. I recorded it DI and split the signal to a guitar distortion pedal. Til' this day I still remember that sound, so punchy, it sounded so great and played really well! It sure was one of my first aha moments.

So thanks for reminding me! I'm getting a G&L bass!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search