The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Which bass guitar has most value for recording?
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
Are you purposely trolling us?
The title of this thread is "Value" basses. Paying 500% markup on bass is not a good value, (well maybe for the seller it is). But to answer your question , no I'm not trolling you, I am informing you that $250 worth of parts is not a good value at a street price of $1250.

You could buy a kit off ebay for a couple hundred that would outperform that bass
then you could take the $1000 left over and buy a nice preamp or eq. To improve your sound greatly. I would just buy a nice used Schecter elite bass, it will way outperform that pbass.
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Camera mic was picking up the computer fan 3 feet away causing that background hiss, but the amp is dead quiet.

Here I'm slapping down on the strings rather than plucking upward.

The point is you can hear the natural woody tone of the instrument.

Both pickups wide open, treble rolled off about 1/2 .

Here's what the same bass sounded like in 1974, D/I through a $250,000.00 API console.
Somebody put this up from a 45.

Oh my Goodness, I don't know what to say first... The first video of you playing was like, yeah , that's a P bass for sure, with the mic'd at a distance.

Then I saw/listened to the video of the 45. I was in awe at the first measure. that's rock I love! You were in this band? Kudos, this song is so good, I want to learn it and cover it! (you won't get any royalties, I'm just a nobody and our band is unknown... lol)

however, to get back to all this bass talk, the sound of the bass in this recording is a bit lacking, but that might not be the case in the original recording ( I mean after all this is an old 45 being played on what? and recorded through what again?)

Loved it.

You're gonna laugh but, is your singer Rod Stewart?
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Guru

Holy Moly that little honey just rocked the house on SNL!

Janelle Monae kicked ass!

And the bass player was playing a Fender
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by therock View Post
The title of this thread is "Value" basses. Paying 500% markup on bass is not a good value, (well maybe for the seller it is). But to answer your question , no I'm not trolling you, I am informing you that $250 worth of parts is not a good value at a street price of $1250.

You could buy a kit off ebay for a couple hundred that would outperform that bass then you could take the $1000 left over and buy a nice preamp or eq. To improve your sound greatly. I would just buy a nice used Schecter elite bass, it will way outperform that pbass.
This is about the stupidest thing I have ever read on here. Companies around the world and throughout time are/have been in business to make money. The way that one makes money as a manufacturer is to charge more for an item than it costs you to make it. Even children with lemonade stands understand this basic concept. When the item that you make is in high demand and the supply of the item is finite, you can charge more (this is called the law of "supply and demand"; Google it, if it is unfamiliar to you).

Building an instrument at home is for 1) luthiers, 2) hobbyists with a lot of free time, 3) cheapskates. Most people in the world - if they even have the free time to work on a project like this - aren't even good with tools, wiring schematics, or soldering, and get confused by all the options available in parts - that's why they pay companies like Fender to build instruments for them.
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2N1305 View Post
Oh my Goodness, I don't know what to say first... The first video of you playing was like, yeah , that's a P bass for sure, with the mic'd at a distance.

Then I saw/listened to the video of the 45. I was in awe at the first measure. that's rock I love! You were in this band? Kudos, this song is so good, I want to learn it and cover it! (you won't get any royalties, I'm just a nobody and our band is unknown... lol)

however, to get back to all this bass talk, the sound of the bass in this recording is a bit lacking, but that might not be the case in the original recording ( I mean after all this is an old 45 being played on what? and recorded through what again?)

Loved it.

You're gonna laugh but, is your singer Rod Stewart?
Well that's what I was up to when I was 20.

If I only knew then what I know now.

Who ever uploaded that 45 didn't have the best system for sure.

That's my '64 Fender Jazz Bass, not a P-Bass.

The priority was to showcase the vocalist and that Tele through a 50 watt plexi needed to shine through, so my job was to just hold the line and play evenly as possible to support the band.

If took 8 hours to set up the drums and tweak them before we recorded the first note.

We blew a few hours going through my available basses and my SVT rig
and went D/I for the primary signal.

I didn't want to be the one holding things up so I went with what the engineers said sounded best.
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Guru

The OP is in FINLAND

If he can get his hands on an American P-Bass or Jazz Bass with a good true neck and the new Custom Shop pickups. He can't really go wrong.

Nothing will hold value better for him or serve a broad range of music styles better.
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Guru

Here's the only other posted clip from that session,
also my '64 Jazz Bass with nylon wrap strings
and a very drunk band.

D/I Original hand built API console.

This is about as fat as anyone had ever captured my bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7X0JYhz_4E

Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is about the stupidest thing I have ever read on here. Companies around the world and throughout time are/have been in business to make money. The way that one makes money as a manufacturer is to charge more for an item than it costs you to make it. Even children with lemonade stands understand this basic concept. When the item that you make is in high demand and the supply of the item is finite, you can charge more (this is called the law of "supply and demand"; Google it, if it is unfamiliar to you).
500% markup? I guess get what suckers will pay. Take the money and run as they say
If that bass was $600 you could make an argument for them. Why are you sticking up for
price gouging companies? Don't you think that's borderline dishonesty? and poor business practice?

Quote:
Building an instrument at home is for 1) luthiers, 2) hobbyists with a lot of free time, 3) cheapskates. Most people in the world - if they even have the free time to work on a project like this - aren't even good with tools, wiring schematics, or soldering, and get confused by all the options available in parts - that's why they pay companies like Fender to build instruments for them.
you can buy all the parts at Warmoth or boogie and build a pbass in 3 hours.
6 if you have never done it before.
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
500% markup? I guess get what suckers will pay. Take the money and run as they say
If that bass was $600 you could make an argument for them. Why are you sticking up for
price gouging companies? Don't you think that's borderline dishonesty? and poor business practice?

you can buy all the parts at Warmoth or boogie and build a pbass in 3 hours.
6 if you have never done it before.
Wow, Paul Krugman better watch out - we just might have here the next winner of the Nobel Prize for economic science! I mean, you are blowing my mind with your deep insight on guitar manufacturing!! Who knew that you could figure out the markup on a guitar just by adding up the cost of the parts?? I always thought you had to add in the cost of labor, equipment maintenance (among other operational costs involved in running a massive assembly line), marketing/promotion and a dozen other things! But what the f**k do I know?
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Guru

I think it would be more than worthwhile for the OP to make a day trip of going to a shop with a strong selection of Fenders.

The OP's list of options really reads like a clearance sale of fairly nice stuff that didn't move.

When you buy something too obscure and you go to resell it, you're dealing with a saturated tight niche' market .

If someone is looking to upgrade, they're looking for the real deal.
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
But what the f**k do I know?
Obviously turning a few screws to mount some hardware and a set of pups is not a big deal and something all musician should learn.

I'm sort of concerned they would charge $1250 for an Assembly line product
when you can buy hand made counterparts for half.

but hey, buy what you like. It's really none of my business, just pointing out the disparity

But logically, do you think $1000 is excessive profit? Including their squire line that company produces more widgets than any other music gear company. they make everything in china or Mexico and charge USA prices, that doesn't concern people?
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Obviously turning a few screws to mount some hardware and a set of pups is not a big deal and something all musician should learn.

I'm sort of concerned they would charge $1250 for an Assembly line product
when you can buy hand made counterparts for half.

but hey, buy what you like. It's really none of my business, just pointing out the disparity

But logically, do you think $1000 is excessive profit? Including their squire line that company produces more widgets than any other music gear company. they make everything in china or Mexico and charge USA prices, that doesn't concern people?

I hope you built the computer that you are using to troll us.
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Guru

No matter how you deck out your Big Wheels it will never be a Harley
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Who ever uploaded that 45 didn't have the best system for sure.

That's my '64 Fender Jazz Bass, not a P-Bass.

oh, I was referring to the first video, not the Brats video. What's in the first video is a P Bass or I'll be a monkey's uncle.

Quote:
We blew a few hours going through my available basses and my SVT rig
and went D/I for the primary signal.

I didn't want to be the one holding things up so I went with what the engineers said sounded best.
Hmm.Interesting yet also frustrating. I bet you'd still rather haul an SVT to a gig than a huge console+power amps+huge monitors.

Seriously though, I also find a direct bass sound is good, too. However, when I want a bit dirt and distance, à la Heartbreaker, I go through a mic'd 4x12 cabinet.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

I'll be the first to apologize in derouting this thread from its original intent which was to help the OP in selecting a bass. All I can say is that you should chose (if you haven't already) the bass which plays the best and sounds the best to you, not to someone else. I mean, it seems you are not a newbie to basses, so trust your knowledge, feel and ear.

I personally am quite impressed by the MTD Heir. Not sure about the assymetrical neck, I assume it's assymetrical along the length of the neck, having a thinner profile on the high string(treble) side...

On a related note: apparently I am a Monkey's uncle AND am blind, as I didn't notice nor the sound of the J bass nor the title of the damn video

Last edited by 2N1305; 28th October 2013 at 04:40 AM.. Reason: added paragraph to mention I suck at distinguishing bass sounds.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
oh, I was referring to the first video, not the Brats video. What's in the first video is a P Bass or I'll be a monkey's uncle.

The same 1964 Fender Jazz Bass is used in all three clips.

Kinda blows my mind that it will be 50 years old this coming year.

I bought it used from the bass player for The Marine Band in 1973

Been with me through thick and thin.

What value can you place on that?
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
No matter how you deck out your Big Wheels it will never be a Harley
can you really say that pbass for 1200 is the 'Harley' of basses with a straight face? when are people going to realize their popularity is built on legacy from 45 years ago not at all on subpar quality that is represented in their current product line. Buy what y'all want is cool, it's your money. But advising people based on demented points of view is careless if not morally suspect.

IMO the coolest thing about those basses is they make all the other basses like Alembic, Warwick, Specter.....pedulla sound all that much better. Instead of an alembic sounding 2x as good after you hear the pbass the alembic or Warwick sound 4x better

As much as I hate those pbasses I accept them since when I go on stage after the back up band's bass player was playing a pbass my bass dominates by default. It doesn't matter how bad I am as a player since I am horrible, but the bottom end of my band will be clean and POWERUL. not muddy , hollow and rather sonically annoying.

All opinions aside, $1200 is just ridiculous for an asian/Mexican bolton bass made of 3 pieces of laminated maple

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass-bodies-necks

http://www.byoguitar.com/Guitars/Ele...YO-PBLFBN.aspx

Which bass guitar has most value for recording?http://www.ebay.com/bhp/bass-guitar-kit

do yourself a favor

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-P...28-i2101183.gc
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll be the first to apologize in derouting this thread from its original intent which was to help the OP in selecting a bass.
umm.... telling the OP to buy a Chinese or Mexican made bass for $1200 is not what any rational person would consider 'advice'. I think it borderline dishonesty. And it shows people making such ludicrous recommendations should apologize to everyone who read their misinformation
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Addict

Batteries belong in smoke detectors and germanium fuzzes. They have no business in a bass guitar.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
As much as I hate those pbasses I accept them since when I go on stage after the back up band's bass player was playing a pbass my bass dominates by default. It doesn't matter how bad I am as a player since I am horrible, but the bottom end of my band will be clean and POWERUL. not muddy , hollow and rather sonically annoying.
I won't allow you to bait me or anyone else here into an infraction.

No one here needs to say a thing, you're doing it to yourself.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

No one here needs to say a thing, you're doing it to yourself.
Honestly, I thought the same after seeing your $1200 bass recommendation. That is just bizarre advice. It makes me wonder if you actually play bass or know anything about luthiery.

But you also need to realize you started this debate by saying my original advice was "bad advice" as you put it. And that's fine we are all entitled to our opinions however you do not provide anything to back up your point of view. I have. right or wrong. You don't have to agree with it but I have posted facts that spending $1200 on a pbass is completely unnecessary.

Despite your ego I'm not here to bait you. My intention it so inform people/op they only need to spend $300 or maybe $400 on a pbass since, So why waste the money? 1200 ?? for something you can buy for $300? It's just bizarre advice, if not careless.

No one is bating you, just basically telling you with facts, that you are wrong.
If you think your right, fine, produce some evidence to backup your point of view.

Quote:
I won't allow you to bait me or anyone else here into an infraction.
It usually is people with no facts that have to resort to personal attacks. We are adults here (presumably). Come up with some evidence to support your arguments. Who knows?? you actually may have a valid point here that spending 1200 on a Chinese made bass is good advice. Until then we will agree to disagree and we will not use words such as "bait" and phrases such as "you're doing it to yourself" ;to weasel our ways out of an intelligent debate that you a losing due to lack of supporting facts.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

You could buy a kit off ebay for a couple hundred that would outperform that bass
then you could take the $1000 left over and buy a nice preamp or eq. To improve your sound greatly. I would just buy a nice used Schecter elite bass, it will way outperform that pbass.
500% profit! Those guys must be getting stinking rich off of dumb suckers! I just realized something. I have a consulting company that doesn't even deliver a physical product... That means I have no "parts" costs at all. I must make 100% profit! There are a heck of a lot of factors you didn't account for in that calculation. The price above is not from Fender, but from a retailer who has additional costs and markup as well. My guess is that "all in all" they are probably close to a 2x multiple on average just like your smaller companies.

Now for the part that I almost agree with, but not quite... When you want "value" in music gear, you buy used. This world is so full of people buying new gear at full retail they can't afford / use correctly or don't need, that there is never a shortage of great quality gear on the used market for serious discounts. Now, I have to say that I completely disagree with your ear and assessment of Fender basses. But, I will say that you could buy several great used basses for the price of that new Fender. If you are really on the side of value and not just Fender bashing, why are you recommending that he pays full retail on a less expensive bass?

There are plenty of inexpensive used American (or Chinese) made 90's P-Basses out there that would blow your recommendations out of the water. Not just from a value perspective, but also when it comes to sitting in the mix, tone and sustain. It is all about perspective and opinion. What a bass player might consider punchy and clean and able to push through a mix... An engineer / mixer / player might consider overly plucky / hipped in higher frequencies and extremely difficult to fit in a mix.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Guru

Can't see why anyone would want a Fender P-Bass ?

Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
whenever you get a really great bass sound it is going to have mid range extension
this is problematic for other instruments in the same ranges. Many engineers just couldn't be bothered
So . . . this is your argument in favor of active pickups? That they fight the other instruments? I would tend to agree with you, but I wouldn't call that a good thing.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Head

For me it's an easy answer. P-bass all day if I can only have one.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
All opinions aside, $1200 is just ridiculous for an asian/Mexican bolton bass made of 3 pieces of laminated maple
It's a good thing, then, that nobody pays $1200 for Mexican made Fender P-basses (it's the American made Standard that costs $1200).

I believe the only Fender branded basses made in China are in the Modern Player series - they don't have a Modern Player P-bass, but the MP Jazz basses retail for $500.

The Mexican P-bass Standard sells for $579:
Fender Standard Precision Bass | Dave's Guitar Shop

Mexican Deluxe P-bass - $699:
Fender Deluxe Active P Bass Special | Dave's Guitar Shop

Mexican Antigua P-Bass - $749:
Fender FSR Antigua Precision Bass | Dave's Guitar Shop

The Mexican made Road Worn P-Bass is $999:
Fender Road Worn 50′s Precision Bass | Dave's Guitar Shop

Of course, these prices are negotiable with most retailers.
Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quick caveat: I’ve never been a bass player by trade. My primary instruments are guitar and vocals. Bass, drums, and keys are secondary for me, but I’ve been playing bass off and on for almost 20 years and maintain a certain proficiency. I’ve also worked in music stores and have had the opportunity to play many different lines of basses over the years.

I have owned a Cort and Greg Bennet/Sammick bass for many years now. The Samick is a p bass and the Cort is a 5 string jazz bass loaded with Bartolini pickups. I also prefer flatwounds, and keep in mind, these basses are used strictly for recording….great bang for the buck instruments IME.

That said, I’m on the hunt for a good LP style bass, and this is on my short list (ESP LTD EC-414):

Here are the features:

Set-neck
34" scale
Mahogany body
Flamed maple top
5-piece maple-walnut neck
Rosewood fingerboard
40mm standard nut
Thin U-neck contour
22 XJ frets
Black nickel hardware
Grover tuners
Tune-O-Matic bridge and tail
EMG 35DC (bridge) / 35CS (neck) active pickup

It lists for $599 at most of your chain stores.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Guru

There are import Fenders for near every budget but long term, nothing holds value like a USA Fender.

My '93 USA Strat Plus is worth considerably more than I paid for it new.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Guru

The only semi-affordable import bass I've tried recently to catch my attention,
was the Gretsch Hollow Body

They come long scale and short both about $900.00

Nice playing & sounding bass for something other than a classic Fender sound.

Old 28th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwareguy View Post
So . . . this is your argument in favor of active pickups? That they fight the other instruments? I would tend to agree with you, but I wouldn't call that a good thing.
no..... I'm just saying that that's why people like those old pbasses. Generally you find bass players who are not dominate musicians who like them since they hide well, they only provide a foundation. Engineers like them in busy mixes since they don't inherently impede anything since they have no midrange extension like high end basses at-least with standard amplifiers.

Also you'll find dominate players who actually use pbasses generally use active boxes like tech 21s or some type of "preamp" or tone shaping box to bring them more in line with active pups. Other dominate pbass players occasionally use distortion to step it up a notch, this is all I'm saying on this point.

For me the real debate hear is VALUE, please convince me a $1200 bass made in Mexico with a bolt-on neck is a good value.

go for it, I would love to know more what people think. Since I find it insulting that 250 worth of parts cost the consumer $1250. PLEASE tell me I'm missing something?? And the key here is the parts are no longer proprietary. There are several manufacturers that are not only licensed to build high quality and precision replacement parts for fractions of the price, but they make them better.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search