The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Which bass guitar has most value for recording?
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretless View Post
sounds so hollow and dead. The issue with these basses is they cause all sorts of problems in the low mid area, very very murky and wooly. They sound horrible on advanced stereo/systems systems with sub-woofers too, since the low extension is very poor due to the sub par passive pickups and lack of proper energy transfer at the bolts.

I come purely form an engineering standpoint. Seems like you guys are more players?? and don't actually record anything? could that be the disconnect here?
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by therock View Post
sounds so hollow and dead. The issue with these basses is they cause all sorts of problems in the low mid area, very very murky and wooly. They sound horrible on advanced stereo/systems systems with sub-woofers too, since the low extension is very poor due to the sub par passive pickups and lack of proper energy transfer at the bolts.

I come purely form an engineering standpoint. Seems like you guys are more players and don't actually record anything? could that be the disconnect here?
as an "engineer" you should know that is the most recorded bass in history and on more "hits" than any other bass guitar . For a reason you think ?
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Guru

Camera mic was picking up the computer fan 3 feet away causing that background hiss, but the amp is dead quiet.

Here I'm slapping down on the strings rather than plucking upward.

The point is you can hear the natural woody tone of the instrument.

Both pickups wide open, treble rolled off about 1/2 .

Here's what the same bass sounded like in 1974, D/I through a $250,000.00 API console.
Somebody put this up from a 45.

Old 25th October 2013
Gear Nut

Never again G&L for me. A USA 2500 was absolutely the worst Instrument a paid real money for ever. Gave it back, bought a Stingray and was happy. But nothing beats my Fender Js and Ps.
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Guru

The grindy hot pickup basses are specialty instruments that work well in some situations,
but for recording it is really tough to beat a good Jazz or P-Bass.

The only other bass I've heard that recorded like a dream was Tom Petty's Danelectro.
and I'd heard a few really great sounding Tele basses too.

You can make a flat wound Fender Bass grind with the best of them, but with some
of those hot rod custom basses you can't un-hot rod them enough.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

You already have 2 basses right? Why add a random third that you are unsure of just because of a discount? Better to play a ton of used instruments until you find a few world class basses in your price range. One or two amazing basses will always be better than a ton of ok ones. I whittled down to a single sick sounding 61' P-bass w/ flats and have no urge to add another.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
. For a reason you think ?
well yeah the reason is 1. people are followers, 2. those bassess are inexpensive like $400, 3. there really wasn't a large variety of basses until the late 70s/80s

You know how musicians are they follow their idols. The most popular bands today were 60s and 70s bands, they had 3 basses to choose from: fender, ric, gibson.... Then there were a few obscure really bad sounding basses like hofner and Audiovox.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
Camera mic was picking up the computer fan 3 feet away causing that background hiss, but the amp is dead quiet.

Here I'm slapping down on the strings rather than plucking upward.

The point is you can hear the natural woody tone of the instrument.

Both pickups wide open, treble rolled off about 1/2 .

Here's what the same bass sounded like in 1974, D/I through a $250,000.00 API console.
Somebody put this up from a 45.

these sound very amateur atleast to me, muddy and hollow...no girth
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Guru

When you've earned a full time living playing music, buying a home, supporting a family
come back and give me some advice.

I more than covered that these are not ideal clips, but you can still hear the bass.
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by archfrenemy View Post
You already have 2 basses right? Why add a random third that you are unsure of just because of a discount? Better to play a ton of used instruments until you find a few world class basses in your price range. One or two amazing basses will always be better than a ton of ok ones. I whittled down to a single sick sounding 61' P-bass w/ flats and have no urge to add another.
If you ever feel like a cruise to the country side, I'd love to hear your P-Bass through my Reeves.

'61 Schweet!

Actually, I should have you Kafka and Joe Porto out here just for ****s & giggles.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
When you've earned a full time living playing music buying a home, supporting a family
opinions are not advice

and my opinion is those do not sound good, it's proof that those old basses sound weird
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Guru

Lets hear some clips of you playing bass

BTW that was Nils Lofgren's Tele on "Not Quite Right"

Maybe you should call him up & tell him his guitar tone sucks too.

That crappy little 45 brought Aerosmith's management down from New York to VA to hear us in our high school auditorium.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
as an "engineer" you should know that is the most recorded bass in history and on more "hits" than any other bass guitar . For a reason you think ?
Seriously. People sure come up with some crazy opinions online.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you ever feel like a cruise to the country side, I'd love to hear your P-Bass through my Reeves.

'61 Schweet!

Actually, I should have you Kafka and Joe Porto out here just for ****s & giggles.
Ha! That was a heck of a typo on my part... Mine is a 71 P-bass! It is a truly amazing sounding bass, but it probably doesn't warrant any invitations to the country!
Old 25th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
I wish this man was around to b*tchslap you for this uninformed opinion.

I don't disagree with your premise, but it's a bit watered down because Jamerson would sound amazing on pretty much all the basses mentioned here. The player and the arrangement trump the bass every time.

It all depends on what you want. Context makes all of the generalizations irrelevant.
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ha! That was a heck of a typo on my part... Mine is a 71 P-bass! It is a truly amazing sounding bass, but it probably doesn't warrant any invitations to the country!
Even so, running a P-Bass through a Hiwatt DR-201 circuit can only be properly
appreciated standing in front of it.

I'm 8 miles on the VA side overlooking Harper's Ferry W. Va.
My Neighbor across the road sees Charlestown Race Track off in the distance.

20 or so...... minutes past Leesburg.
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

So another thread gets derailed by the famous and fabulous' on GS

To sooth the OP up in Bedrock here's some calming music

Neil Young - Harvest (1972) Full Album - YouTube

All the mention of the 70's and country just triggered a desire for me to revisit this album "Harvest" Neil Young, wondered who played bass and what was used on the tracks ? Probably a P, I must say . Nice kick and bass on the first track, eh?

Out on a Weekend
Have a nice weekend
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Even so, running a P-Bass through a Hiwatt DR-201 circuit can only be properly
appreciated standing in front of it.

I'm 8 miles on the VA side overlooking Harper's Ferry W. Va.
My Neighbor across the road sees Charlestown Race Track off in the distance.

20 or so...... minutes past Leesburg.
You really are pretty close. I am down in Old Town Alexandria, but I definitely head out in your direction every now and then. I have even been fly fishing over by Harpers Ferry a few times. I will send you a PM when my next road trip is in your neck of the woods.
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
You really are pretty close. I am down in Old Town Alexandria, but I definitely head out in your direction every now and then. I have even been fly fishing over by Harpers Ferry a few times. I will send you a PM when my next road trip is in your neck of the woods.
Sounds good.

Gotta make sure the bears ain't hungry heh
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz View Post
I don't disagree with your premise, but it's a bit watered down because Jamerson would sound amazing on pretty much all the basses mentioned here. The player and the arrangement trump the bass every time.

It all depends on what you want. Context makes all of the generalizations irrelevant.
Well, of course - Jamerson himself made this point in the following interview (Guitar Player Magazine 1979):

Do a lot of bass players ask you for playing tips?
JJ: Bass players call from all over, wanting to know what type of equipment I use, what type of bass, what kind of strings-- things like that. I'll tell them, but that's not what's important; it's the feel. The strings don't make the sound, it's the feel. It's all in here, in the heart.

...but, then again, he also says this:
Do you still use a Precision?
JJ: Yes, none of the other basses get that sound.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
I wish this man was around to b*tchslap you for this uninformed opinion.

but how much better would he sound on a higher quality bass?

that is the real question ?????

Bass players are a content bunch. They are not like guitar players. Bass players just play
and don't' try to improve their tone. Guitar players are always trying to improve.
Bass players don't care what they are missing. It's weird but that's the way it is. They just pick a bass and an amp when they are in high school and they use it for the rest of their career. Very few guitar players stick with one thing. The only guy I can think of is maybe Angus Young? I bet he still has his original amps from the first album.

So for me I don't look at a great bass player and look as his gear and think wow, his gear must great like him, I more often than not look at guys who use crappy basses,
and no matter how successful they are, I always wonder what if? What would they sound like on great equipment?

this guy here is no excpetion, although I don't really care for his playing, however he was a studio musician so I'm sure he was told what top play more often than not
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lets hear some clips of you playing bass
If you like hollow muddy bass sounds, you would not like my bass sounds.
I use neck thrus and EMGs , you already stated you not think those sound good.
So I'm pretty confident you would think they sound bad much like my advice
as you so eloquently stated

Quote:
Nils Lofgren's
never heard of him

Quote:
Aerosmith's management
Leber and Krebs? or Collins/Barrasso

did they sign you?

be glad they didn't, you would have made way less money than you did
They don't care about bass sounds those guys only care about publishing
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
If you like hollow muddy bass sounds, you would not like my bass sounds.
I use neck thrus and EMGs , you already stated you not think those sound good.
So I'm pretty confident you would think they sound bad much like my advice
as you so eloquently stated

never heard of him

Leber and Krebs? or Collins/Barrasso

did they sign you?

be glad they didn't, you would have made way less money than you did
They don't care about bass sounds those guys only care about publishing
I have a perfectly punchy bass with the USA Schechter PJ
Still any engineer I've worked with prefers the Jazz with flats for tracking.

Nils Lofgren currently with Springsteen's band.

The rest is business.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

FFTT so well said all around. Great advise!
I am a synth guy and play some bass and produce music.
I narrowed down to 3 basses in the studio at this stage:

1. 62 RI 82 Fullerton Fender PB same specs as James Jamerson, even the foam just not his fingers! Lol

2. 62 RI 82 Fullerton JB similar specs as Aston Barrett

3. Musicman Stingray 1980 very similar specs as Louis Johnson

my go to for the most part is the JB due to it's versatility. For character maybe PB as it has the mid PB sound. For big thump and bright slap, MM.

Just need to get a 63/4 Hofner and I'm covered.
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Still any engineer I've worked with prefers the Jazz with flats for tracking.
They like flats because they know its easier to just hide the bass in the mix
that way and use bass as filler not as a real melodic instrument. It doesn't impede anything important it's just a big fluffy sound in the low end of the back ground. This way it's easier to feature guitars and vocals and keys.

whenever you get a really great bass sound it is going to have mid range extension
this is problematic for other instruments in the same ranges. Many engineers just couldn't be bothered

Quote:
Nils Lofgren currently with Springsteen's band.
I never really listened to a springsteen record, I don't like soft rock/pop rock
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Guru

Hard to go wrong with that selection.

From smooth to grind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
FFTT so well said all around. Great advise!
I am a synth guy and play some bass and produce music.
I narrowed down to 3 basses in the studio at this stage:

1. 62 RI 82 Fullerton Fender PB same specs as James Jamerson, even the foam just not his fingers! Lol

2. 62 RI 82 Fullerton JB similar specs as Aston Barrett

3. Musicman Stingray 1980 very similar specs as Louis Johnson

my go to for the most part is the JB due to it's versatility. For character maybe PB as it has the mid PB sound. For big thump and bright slap, MM.

Just need to get a 63/4 Hofner and I'm covered.
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Guru

I think that's the first time anyone has ever called the E-Street Band a Soft Rock Group.

Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
but how much better would he sound on a higher quality bass?
Wow.
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Guru

Sweetwater shows USA P-Bass with Custom Shop pickups $1249.00

Fender American Standard Precision Bass - Olympic White | Sweetwater.com
Old 26th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sweetwater shows USA P-Bass with Custom Shop pickups $1249.00

Fender American Standard Precision Bass - Olympic White | Sweetwater.com
1249? it's like $225 worth of parts and a $25 polyester spindle spray paint job
and they add $1000 for profit? Better business bureau should be notified
But then again you can't cite a company for consumer asininity. Unreal

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search