The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
pedal arrangement with no Loop?
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

pedal arrangement with no Loop?

Hi All

I have a 65 amps London pro which has no Loop for what i would normally assign time based effects to so i have to run all my pedals up front

i have a strymon comp - Way huge Green Rhino into the amp, this sounds great

when i add the strymon timeline delay and strymon flint verb and tremolo it sounds crappy

really bad

on the amp oi have some of the natural overdrive up but even if i clean it up its ok, not great

i just cannot get a great delay or touch of reverb sound with having over drive in front

if i take all the pedals out the amp sounds amazing

just looking for some ideas i guess to arrange and run the pedals to get a great delay and verb sound WITH the overdrive going

not looking for metal distortion, this is the best over drive sounding amp i have ever heeard and has tha old vox chimey breakup i want to keep with the delay and verb going, with the comp in and over drive pedal if possible

thanks
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

This isn't the cheap solution but this is gearslutz perhaps an old amp could be used for this...

You could place a speaker tap such as a Suhr Iso-Line out in between your London and the speaker. This will give you a line level signal that has the full spectrum of tone of your entire path save the speaker. Run this into your modulators and then into a second amp. This second amp should be fairly neutral in sound and could be smaller. You would then have a wet/dry rig and this would likely sound better than an amp with an effects loop. You will need to assure that the signal you send doesn't clip your effects.

Another option would be a load-re-amplification box such as a Badcat Unleash or a Two Notes Reload (disclosure; company I am affiliated with). The London would run into this box which soaks the entire power and provides a tappable line level signal followed by a clean re-amplification system to bring back the level to drive your speakers.

It may be possible to mod the London to add a loop. It also may be best to only do a minimal effect loop within the amp ie just tap the signal post master volume and then add an active loop management system ex a clone of a dumblator to control the blend and mix. For example Ceriatone Amplification.

Finally, if you could work with having a dry tone onstage but feed the effects to the house, you could again use the Suhr Iso Line out to the pedals and then feed the effects to house with a speaker emulator....again I'll recommend a Two Notes but on a budget, something like the ada or other would be fine A/DA (tm) - Miked Guitar Cabinet Simulator

You could also use a Torpedo instead of a microphone and again place the modulators between the Torpedo and the PA.

Andy Home Page (E)
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Another solution would be to get a good OD pedal and run the amp clean (cranked to the point where it's starting to compress, but not yet distorting). The Green Rino is good at boosting an already breaking up amp, but it has a mid bump so changes the tone, and there are better pedals to get overdrive out of a clean amp. If you like the sound of the London clean, and just want to add transparent gain, look at the Wampler Paisley Drive.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

I use a Wet Dry Wet set up with a Weber Mass line out feeding my Modulation time based effects into a Mesa Boogie 20/20 power amp and a pair of tens or twelves. I love the fact that I retain all the warmth and articulation of a dry amp and still get that spaciousness in there. Been doing this for over ten years now in various ways through several rig changes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search