The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Telecaster AVRI '58 Maple, good choice ?
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Head
Telecaster AVRI '58 Maple, good choice ?

Hi everyone !

My main guitar is a Les Paul Goldtop Historic '56, so I wanted to change a bit and go Fender (My first Fender). So after weeks of researches I found a Fender Jaguar AVRI '62.

But... 1 month later, finally that's not a guitar for me... Not "straight" enough (Like the LP is), I feel like I'm playing on a fragile thing !

I was hesitating between the Jag and a Tele back then. So now I think I'll go for the Tele !

Went to the store, the guy told me try the American Standard (No AVRI in stock) one Maple, one Rosewood.

And that's right the Rosewood is more deep, more powerful ! But my LP is already Rosewood...
The guy told me Maple is not very interesting except for playing a few Stones stuff.

I'm searching for Rock tones something between Black Keys, Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, QOTSA, White Stripes etc...

And more "old school" Blues : Muddy Waters & co of course, and older stuff like Johnson, Patton etc...

Of course I watched a lot of videos comparing the AVRI Tele series etc... I can't hear the difference between Maple and Rosewood as I heard it when playing it !

So is Maple on AVRIs is different from Maple on American Standard series ?

And is Maple working for Rock stuff ? Or is Rosewood definitely better for my style ?
Or maybe the '64 would be better ? But I'm more a 50's guy...
Or '52 ? Something else ?
Knowing that I'm searching for the Twangy side of the Tele. But I read the '58 is not the Twangyest one. Right or wrong ? If yes is it the pickups ? Saddles ?

I'm kinda lost... And afraid to make a mistake as I did with the Jag !

Thank you very much
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

All I can say is you have a journey ahead of you and don't dismiss a maple neck without giving them the same attention as the rosewood necks. I have a G&L tele with P-90's and a maple neck that I used in a rock band in my younger years. It is a very versatile guitar for me, bright but not twangy. I can get twang but I just have to dial my amp in. You should be able to A/B maple vs. rosewood on just about any Fender tele model out there, I know some of the re-issues only offer maple though. Take your Gibson with you as well to compare and contrast what you are looking for. Good luck!
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I prefer a maple neck on both Teles and Strats. Can't really tell you why. Part of it is aesthetics. I just like the way they look. I've had a couple starts and a tele with a rosewood neck, but never bonded with them and sold them. I have 3 tele style and one strat now, and they all have maple necks.

Still, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just play a bunch of guitars and pick the one that feels best.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

Sorry you didn't like your Jaguar, have you tried a replacement bridge? The stock bridge is pretty disliked, you can get a Fender Mustang bridge, a Staytrem bridge, or a Mastery, in ascending order of price there, all will make your Jaguar seem more "solid".

If you really don't like your Jag and want a Tele- which is a wonderful guitar- then you are just going to have to find out what you want in a fingerboard. I can tell you, though, that I have two Telecasters. One is an American Standard, the other the older '62 AVRI Custom model. Both have rosewood boards. I originally had another American Standard with a maple board, and I just could not get along with it. The differences are small, but they are there, and your hand might feel that.

My point is, if you like rosewood like you have on your Les Paul (and your Jaguar), then maybe you just like rosewood. You might get a Telecaster out with a maple board and find you are in the same boat as you are with your Jaguar, selling that in order to fund a Telecaster with rosewood.

No one knows... but you might just figure that you are a rosewood board kind of guy.

Old 19th October 2013
Gear Head
Hey !

Thanks all for your answer

Nebakanezer : No, I give even more attention to the maple necks because I like them more visually on Teles !
And as I already got all my guitars in rosewood I'd like to have a maple one but it have to be useful to me of course...

Quote:
I know some of the re-issues only offer maple though.
Yeah that's the case for AVRIs... '52 and '58 are maple, '64 is rosewood. No choice !

That's a very good idea to bring my LP ! Thank you !

Joe : Haha yes I know what you're talking about, same as me, I like the way they look on maple !

Quote:
Still, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just play a bunch of guitars and pick the one that feels best.
Yes you're probably right, I probably think too much...

Larry :
Quote:
Sorry you didn't like your Jaguar, have you tried a replacement bridge? The stock bridge is pretty disliked, you can get a Fender Mustang bridge, a Staytrem bridge, or a Mastery, in ascending order of price there, all will make your Jaguar seem more "solid".
That was a mess with this Jag... It was second hand with a Mustang bridge, 9/42 strings on it, put 10/46 and tried Warmoth bridge, but the luthier think the original bridge finally work better. (Don't know why)
Brought it like 3 or 4 times to the luthier (2 different guys), wasted so much money for trying to set it up correctly, buying different bridges (Original, AllParts, and a Warmoth), still some fret noises, I can't bear it anymore...
I think I need something more "Plug'n'play", Jag is a very good instrument but very weird !

Quote:
My point is, if you like rosewood like you have on your Les Paul (and your Jaguar), then maybe you just like rosewood.
Yes, the fact is I felt very good on a AVRI '52 Tele compared with a Classic Player Jag, I haven't had the money at that time or I probably chosen the '52 but I preferred to bet the AVRI '62 Jag will be more "my thing". So I did !

Then I was disappointed with the Jag I went to the store tried American Standard Teles, maple and rosewood, and when I really liked the sound of the rosewood better !
I can't understand why there was so much difference ! Of course they were plugged on the same amp, same settings.
They weren't so much differences between the '52 Tele and other rosewood guitars I tried that first day !
Same on the internet, I can't really say if it's maple or rosewood. So I questioning myself if maybe the AVRI Teles sound differently...

When I read forums the maple/rosewood stuff is almost a myth, that's not what I felt with the 2 Am St Teles.

Maybe I'll have a chance to go to Paris in a few weeks, I'll take that chance to try more things.

Anyway thank you very much, sorry for the long message, hope my English is not that bad

If you have any more advice you're all welcome !

Ps : You black Tele is gorgeous ! What's that Bisby ??? Never saw it before !
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

It's a Hipshot system... pretty complicated. The levers drop the strings tuning down a step, so I can be in open G at the flick of three levers. In theory, anyway... they require a lot of messing around, which is why I bought a second "plug and play" Telecaster.

The lever and the other bender will bend the G and B string up a full tone, respectively. Again, they need a lot of messing.

Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear
There's nothing wrong with choosing a maple Tele over rosewood for Rock; the maple has a slightly different attack - very snappy - and with the finish they put on it, has a more slippery feel than rosewood (which is great for bending notes). When you add gain and adjust the EQ on your amp, you shouldn't notice a massive difference in tone between the two - it's more of a difference in feel. The AVRI's are great guitars.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Head
Quote:
It's a Hipshot system...
Very interesting !! But as it needs a lot of messing now I know that's not for me

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with choosing a maple Tele over rosewood for Rock; the maple has a slightly different attack - very snappy - and with the finish they put on it, has a more slippery feel than rosewood (which is great for bending notes). When you add gain and adjust the EQ on your amp, you shouldn't notice a massive difference in tone between the two - it's more of a difference in feel. The AVRI's are great guitars.
Yes, this is the snappy thing I like on Teles ! This was my main fear, that maple just can't work for rock sounds...
Thank you very much

I'll see with the shops if there's any "Satisfied or your money back" this way I'll do no mistake.

Thank you all
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessycd View Post
Yes, this is the snappy thing I like on Teles ! This was my main fear, that maple just can't work for rock sounds...
Maybe it depends on the style of Rock that you play, but there are plenty of famous maple Tele players in Rock: Pete Townshend, Keith Richards, Robbie Robertson, Albert Lee, Mick Jones (Clash), Bruce Springsteen, Prince, Johnny Marr...and many, many more.
Old 20th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
Maybe it depends on the style of Rock that you play, but there are plenty of famous maple Tele players in Rock: Pete Townshend, Keith Richards, Robbie Robertson, Albert Lee, Mick Jones (Clash), Bruce Springsteen, Prince, Johnny Marr...and many, many more.
Yeah, and the differences are much more subtle. It's not like one works with rock and one doesn't. I have both. Pick the one that has mojo whatever fretboard it has.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search