The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
All Time Low guitar tone
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

All Time Low guitar tone

Hi! This is my first post here.

idk If I should post this in the EQ section or Guitar Recording or wherever. I just a saw this thread while searching on google..

Mayday Parade Guitar Tone?

anyway..

so I would like to have a "Similar" not "Exact" tone of my favorite band, All Time Low.

so here's my example of their guitar tone I would like to achieve.

All Time Low - Somewhere in Neverland
All Time Low - Somewhere In Neverland (Lyric Video) - YouTube

All Time Low - Break your Little Heart
Break Your Little Heart - All Time Low (with lyrics) - YouTube

All Time Low - Dear Maria Count Me In
All Time Low - Dear Maria, Count Me In (Official Music Video) - YouTube

there's more but I want to keep this thread short.

Here's my VST setup:

ReaGate
TSE808 v2
Amp sim (often I used Poulin Hybrit, Poulin Lecto, Gsuite JCM900, sometimes Ignite Amps NRR)
Poulin LeCab (with Catharsis Impulses, Kalthalen's IR)

then I Quad Track my strat (Bridge pickup panned Hard L and R then Neck or Mid panned 50 L and R)

then those 4 tracks are routed to a folder with:

ReaXcomp (I like better than ReaEQ alone)
ReaEQ (To fix ReaXcomp's little mistakes)
ReaVerb (wet set to -13)

I would like to make guitar covers using this. Even if I don't have a bass guitar with me I still do the standard EQing on guitar.

I LP filter it to 11-12K and HP filter it to 70-100

I squash down the mids a little bit on the ReaXcomp and boost a little on ReaEQ if I need to.

then I set the Low Mids I think a little quieter (-2 to -4 dB) than my mids.
then the High Mids are set a little louder than my mids (1-2 dB)

although I liked it that way, I need more advice to make more closer to what All Time Low sounds like.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Those amp sims are never going to sound as good as a nice tube amp or have the same dynamic response. It's a bit like trying to learn to be a Michelin starred chef using a random selection of cheap ingredients donated to a food bank.

They'll do to sketch out a demo so long as you don't expect too much. Just keep tweaking and listening until you get as close as you can. That's the only secret of good tone: lots of experimenting to find out what your gear can do.

I'd try to get the best possible solo guitar tone first before any studio trickery like multi-tracking.

Note you can edit impulse response .wav files in any audio editor, if you need to.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

I know, but atleast having this amp sims is better than to play with nothing at home :D hahaha.

anyway, don't you have any ideas how? I mean when it comes to EQ part?

more mid? hi-mid? or what?
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxRock_Onxx View Post
I know, but atleast having this amp sims is better than to play with nothing at home :D hahaha.

anyway, don't you have any ideas how? I mean when it comes to EQ part?

more mid? hi-mid? or what?
why don't you buy something like a Hughes and Kettner tubemeister?
it has an attenuator built in and a silent speaker, it's a real amp.
amp sims would be cool if they were free. Still not a substitute for a real amp
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I listened to your samples and I am not getting anything exotic or exiting from it. Sounds like typical distortion - power chords and some less than dramatic leads. I think what you might be liking is that the sound is full and fat which is probably because the track was doubled (at least) and probably played twice with different guitars and layered.

In your own vsts I notice they are mostly free. I doubt they will compare to some of the harder hitters. I have a problem with amp sims in general because they sim the noise floor and feedback a little too well. It disgusts me to have to jog through presets from one squeal to the next. But I do recommend you try over at KVR where they have amp sim presets (for free) for download.
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Nut

Money... that's a problem, it's the reason why im using amp sims.

Yah, I want fatter tone from these amp sims.

I'm using LPB-1 as a preamp, that helps to make my strat sound fatter, REALLY FATTER. Back to our topic.

Well if those amp sims would not work can you suggest some please? Im hoping that it's free. I chose those amp sims cause they are popular and I saw them on some forums saying that they used those in their albums, recordings, etc.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

You would do better at KVR since they are devoted to plugins and puters.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Addict

This could work. Find out who the engineer was that recorded their CD. Drop the engineer an email, then simulate the amp he/she used. That's the place to start. If that doesn't work ask their management if you can pass an email through to the band and tell you what the guitar player used on the session. "Break Your Little Heart" sounds a "bit fatter" than one track. Some bands have their amps "tweaked" before they go out live. Artists like "The Presidents of the United States of America" had their "amps tweaked" to get fatter sounds. That first track "Somewhere in Neverland" has a mid boost, but I would try to duplicate the fattest of the tracks. Duplicate one of the other two tracks, not the mid boosted one, since those two seem fatter.
Old 18th October 2013
Sam Guaiana would be a good guy to ask, search him up by that name.

I do a lot of that

AND I use the sims you listed and they sound really, really good. You CAN get those kinds of tones out of them..

Not sure if the strat is the best choice for that sort of thing. I'm quite certain ATL has been using PRS guitars for the last little while but a Les Paul or SG would likely work well. Tight playing is important, Mix it up between open chords and power chords. Keep it tight, I like the LA3A on guitars. In the mix I HP anywhere from 100-200hz depending on how busy the mix is.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Sounds like a Les Paul into a JCM800 with a boost in front of the amp to me.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

Thanks for the ideas guys! I really appreciated it!

yeah I know that also, but I chose strat as my first guitar because:

1.) a friend bought it from a friend also which also bought it from another. In short it is somewhat vintage (Old wood is better :D) and the price came lower and lower (let's say in Philippine peso, brand new owner bought it 15,000 and it came to me 5,000)

2.) I also play clean and I prefer single coils for it. Can't afford to buy another guitar like SGs.
Old 19th October 2013
Lives for gear

I thought ATL used amp sims, too
.All time Low - Alex Gaskarth Guitar Rig Gear and Equipment
I think there's one on there for Jack, too.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

They don't, they cab sims though. hahaha

they used different gears in live and studio.

I tried using jcm800 and i got close sound to their studio and i use mesas to get close sound to their live. but still it's not enough.

hey guys, can i ask one more? i want to have a little more chug without getting muddy. To those who listened somewhere in neverland you would notice that. can you help me with that?
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Addict

xxRock_Onxx,
From someone who plays a Soldano Avenger (similar to SLO100) live, 2 Sansamps, PODXT still own one, want to upgrade to something better...
It sounds like they are "at least" using two amps, one with overdrive on the higher mid end (Marshall JCM my guess) and also another amp with the low end boosted. At least two tracks blended. This is a fat sound that covers a good part of the frequency spectrum. That's my best guess without spending time experimenting.
Old 19th October 2013
Gear Nut

Woah! I never thought of that one before

what im doing is

2 different amp with 2 different pickup and 2 (Double tracked) and 2 side (pan left and right)

hahaha so many Two's. i'll try that one.. hmmm if I would make guitar covers should if HF it (Im referring to the low end boosted)?
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxRock_Onxx View Post
They don't, they cab sims though. hahaha

they used different gears in live and studio.

I tried using jcm800 and i got close sound to their studio and i use mesas to get close sound to their live. but still it's not enough.

hey guys, can i ask one more? i want to have a little more chug without getting muddy. To those who listened somewhere in neverland you would notice that. can you help me with that?
If you're asking the question, meaning you don't know the answer, how can you be so sure they do not use any amp sims?
I'd think that the gear from studio to live would be pretty similar. They keep their sound pretty uniform from studio to stage. Then again, I'm not too much of a guitarist.
I'm assuming muddy as in the low-end, right? You could EQ that. You shouldn't only focus on getting the amp and cab right but also the processing of them.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Nut

I know they dont use amp sims because their tech or them said they really dont..

You can even search that on google and the gears they used.
They said on an interview they dont want to have the same sound in studio versions when they play live.
Old 20th October 2013
Lives for gear

In Mitch Gallagher theory you EQ before applying distortion and also after to control the sound to exactly what you want. Often you roll off mids because the mid gives you the hiss in low mids and up-mids, and a bit of treble rolled off. Bass and trebs boosted a good bit, Many bands have a distortion guitar track simultaneous with an overdrive guitar - the overdrive doing triads and broken chords under the main riff
Old 29th October 2013
Gear Nut

Is there any Orange or Egnater amp sim out there? That i can mix with my jcm900?

I'm hoping that it's a freeware
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search