The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Red Iron Amps Lil' Mo'
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Head

Red Iron Amps Lil' Mo'

Hey there... I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with Red Iron Amp's Lil' Mo' ? Im looking for a bedroom practice amp. Also considering a Fargenamps Fender Champion 600 with the Weber speaker. I'm playin' a ASAT Classic with Seymour Duncan 52's. :: Red Iron Amps - AMPS - LIL MO ::

Randy
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Guru

I wish I had the money to get one just because they're so cool!

Red Iron build quality is exception.

With any single ended Class A your results will depend on your control of your guitar, the attack and fingering precision and the speaker.

If you want a bit more headroom and have serious volume issues at home, the Reeves Custom 12 with Power Scaling is about the best thing out there for the money.

If you want more of a Black Face Fender 5-7 watter, the Gries 5 is fantastic.

I haven't been to Tacoma Park for years!

Used to drop in at the D.C. Blues Society events.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear
I had a very bad experience with Red Iron amps - would never recommend them to any one.
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Guru

That's unfortunate.

I never read any other major complaints.

In all the years I've watched small builders, there are some who go through some difficult growing pains, get behind on orders, can't maintain the quality control under unexpected high demands and some don't survive it.

I do know the Gries 5 is absolutely cherished by anyone who owns one.
I think I might have seen 1 resale since 2006.

The Emery Sound Super Baby & Micro Baby are well established and very high quality.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
That's unfortunate.

I never read any other major complaints.
I won't go into all the sordid details, but I was really looking forward to owning one of these after reading reviews and listening to/watching demos; and went through three of them (two T-Rex's and a Bronx), all of which suffered from bad noise issues and had to be returned - and on top of that, the builder (forget his name now - this goes back to 2008, IIRC) was a real jerk to me (these were ordered directly from him, not purchased from a dealer, by the way). I not only had to return each amp, but I lost a bunch of money after the builder had me buy new tubes (and he uses expensive, oddball ones in the amps) and audiophile speaker cable to troubleshoot the noise problems, none of which worked (and I couldn't even reuse the weird tubes in anything else that I owned).
Old 18th October 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
I won't go into all the sordid details, but I was really looking forward to owning one of these after reading reviews and listening to/watching demos; and went through three of them (two T-Rex's and a Bronx), all of which suffered from bad noise issues and had to be returned - and on top of that, the builder (forget his name now - this goes back to 2008, IIRC) was a real jerk to me (these were ordered directly from him, not purchased from a dealer, by the way). I not only had to return each amp, but I lost a bunch of money after the builder had me buy new tubes (and he uses expensive, oddball ones in the amps) and audiophile speaker cable to troubleshoot the noise problems, none of which worked (and I couldn't even reuse the weird tubes in anything else that I owned).
That's a drag, sorry to hear it.
Old 20th October 2013
Gear Addict

that's a lot of beans for a mini amp . I have a Firefly 1 watter , killer amp but hard to find , snag one if you ever see one . I also really like the Black Heart Killer Ant with a 12aU7 in it and I love the solid state pignose . That amp just freakin rocks . I have a newer one and a 70's , the 70's is a little sweeter but the newer one is very close . I also have a somewhat rare Dwarf ,which is killer . The real charm of the Pig & Dwarf is going out of the line out into the front of another amp like a Marshall . Classic rock baby !
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

I have 3 of their amps (including the L'l Mo).
Never found them noizy. In fact these are one of my favourite amps in the >120 lot that we have. More then that, the owner was very helpfull even though I am half a world away. One of the amps was bought SH. When it arrived the front panel was broken. The builder offered to make a new one with the exact dimensions and replace it for free. I did not take him up on the offer (as it wasnt his fault) but really appreciate the gesture.
These sound somewhat different to the run of the mill ax7/el34/el84/6l6/6v6 amps but I love the sound. Most of my clients like them too.
The little single ended amp is perhaps not as versatile as the bigger ones but is still quite sweet with the right speaker.
As an alternative look at Kingsley amps/pedals.
Old 9th November 2013
Gear Head

Red Iron luv...

Well after talking to the builder, Paul Sanchez, and doing as much research as I could, I pulled the trigger on a Lil' Mo'. Couldn't be any happier. I'm driving a 16ohm Egnater 112 cabinet with a Celestion 80. For my apartment it's fantastic !! Warm sounds and tone with either a humbucking or single coil guitar. Mine is quiet, no noise issues at all.

At normal apartment lifestyle playing levels, it's response to tone and gain adjustments from the guitar is wonderful. It's right on the border of being too loud opened up in my apartment. It has a three position tone switch on the top, volume on the front, and a on/off toggle switch on the back.

My other amp has an effects loop that I normally play through. I've loved that path, but with the Mo' i've had to put 'em in front and she handles it great and my pedals still come to life !!
Attached Thumbnails
Red Iron Amps Lil' Mo'-top-mo.jpg   Red Iron Amps Lil' Mo'-side-mo.jpg  
Old 9th November 2013
Gear Guru

Glad you're happy with your purchase.

I love the high quality retro neo-art deco styling.
Old 26th November 2013
Gear Head

Red Iron update

Well.... I've had Lil' Mo' a few weeks and I've been playing the hell out of it evenings in the apartment after work. I get full rich tone from whatever guitar I plug into it. I have a G&L ASAT Classic with Seymour Duncan Alnico 52's and a Ibanez ARX-500 Artist with Seymour Duncan SH-1 neck and a SH-14 bridge humbuckers with Dimarzio volume and tone pots.

I'm not a great guitar player. I make my living as a engineer. I'm an average player but I know "tone". My Egnater cabinet is sitting at head level on a bookself next to a wall. Speaker placement is helping great response from the tone controls on my guitars.

Lil Mo is shipped with a Motorola 12AY7 tube. I played it two weeks with that tube to get used to it's sound. I "was" happy but "now" I'm even happier with the Telefunken 12AT7 I've replaced it with. The amp now has a little more gain, and richer lo mids & bottom end.

For people looking for a quality built amp for low level environments, ya' need to look the Red Iron way.....

Randy
Old 26th November 2013
Gear Guru

As long as you can match output impedance, you could have a blast just trying
it through old radio & home stereo speakers, mini drivers, even car stereo speakers, just to see what's possible.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search