The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Guitars for sale     Latest  Trending
Tube amp to hotplate direct out to ???
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Tube amp to hotplate direct out to ???

Admittedly my ultimate purpose here is not recording my guitar it's silent practice at home via headphones. I've used a pod but would prefer to use my tube amp for practice as well as live/ loud.

My rig is guitar > Orange amp> THD hotplate (Load) direct out > ???

I've tried taking the direct out into my podhd but I can't turn the amp sim off (and leave a cab/speaker sim only) so it colours the tone. The direct out signal is fizzy and harsh without speaker emulation so not really useable through headphones with the pods amp modelling off...

Is there an ipad DAW app that allows speaker only emulation (no added amp modelling to colour tone)?

Other option is hotplate > Palmer PD-09/ red box XLR out > podHD (amp modelling off) > headphones

I'd rather not use a laptop based solution.

Any ideas on the best route? Thanks.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

If you can find an impulse response loader for iPad there are lots of guitar cab impulse .wavs to be found on the internet.
Old 17th October 2013
First off, check this link out - it is a product I'm heavily involved with the design of that is intended to solve this very problem.

AFAIK, every Pod HD is able to turn off the 'amp' section and just use the cab emulation - I've got a Pro sitting next to me, and I've had a 400 and 500 at various points. If you have one of the 'lower-end' models, it may require crafting a custom preset in the Line 6 computer-based editor, but I don't know if yours does. IIRC, you have to actually go to the "model" section and choose either "tube pre" or "none" - you don't "turn off" the amp sim as much as bypass the pre-amp and power-amp section.

If you were to use IR's, you could do as McGruff said and use an iPad, or you could use something like the TwoNotes Torpedo products. I'd say the latter might work better for you, since you said no computer - check out the C.A.B., it might be exactly what you are looking for.
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

I m so glad, it's very informating thank you.
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dented42ford View Post
First off, check this link out - it is a product I'm heavily involved with the design of that is intended to solve this very problem.

AFAIK, every Pod HD is able to turn off the 'amp' section and just use the cab emulation - I've got a Pro sitting next to me, and I've had a 400 and 500 at various points. If you have one of the 'lower-end' models, it may require crafting a custom preset in the Line 6 computer-based editor, but I don't know if yours does. IIRC, you have to actually go to the "model" section and choose either "tube pre" or "none" - you don't "turn off" the amp sim as much as bypass the pre-amp and power-amp section.

If you were to use IR's, you could do as McGruff said and use an iPad, or you could use something like the TwoNotes Torpedo products. I'd say the latter might work better for you, since you said no computer - check out the C.A.B., it might be exactly what you are looking for.
Hi

Thanks for your reply. A podHD based solution would be most elegant for me as I have a podHD500x already and it would allow addittion of effects.
However, I cant seem to acheive what you suggest. If I select model --- (i.e. "none") in the amp section then the cab and mic emulation is switched off automatically and all I get is the direct signal. I've also tried using the "pre" versions of some of the amp models. To get any volume at all I have to turn up the gain and essentially use it as a volume knob (with EQ settings all at 0 and channel volume at 100%). It doesnt sound great and all the amp pre models sound different suggesting significant colouration from the amp modelling. Is there a better way to do this?

Are there any good ipad apps that act as "impulse response loaders"?

Thanks again
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Have you tried looking through the Line 6 website where they share presets? Of course there are Ipad guitar apps galore. The best is Amplitube. Though Jamup is pretty neat.
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eve69 View Post
Have you tried looking through the Line 6 website where they share presets? Of course there are Ipad guitar apps galore. The best is Amplitube. Though Jamup is pretty neat.
I'm aware of amplitube etc.

My question was "Are there any good ipad apps that act as "impulse response loaders"?"

Amplitube forces amp modelling onto the unprocessed sound from my attenuators line out. I just need a speaker sim so that the tone I get is closest to my own tube amp.

Cheers
Old 17th October 2013
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Er, thanks. I've heard of google.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Not to be a jerk but I am trying to help you. I am under no compulsion. Keep your frustration to yourself. If you look at the Google search you'll see at least five Ipad apps which directly have to do with impulses. I will not enter your thread again. So long.
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eve69 View Post
Not to be a jerk but I am trying to help you. I am under no compulsion. Keep your frustration to yourself. If you look at the Google search you'll see at least five Ipad apps which directly have to do with impulses. I will not enter your thread again. So long.
The whole point of this forum is asking for expertise beyond "look it up on google". Please get over yourself and respond to threads where your personal experience or insight is useful.

From general lack of response I assume not many are using the ipad for this purpose i.e. speaker rather than amp emulation?

Perhaps the best option is hotplate > palmer (for speaker sim) > ipad or pod without amp sim > headphones. Seems a bit over complicated but all the ipad guitar apps seem to force amp modelling.
Old 17th October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman82 View Post
Hi

Thanks for your reply. A podHD based solution would be most elegant for me as I have a podHD500x already and it would allow addittion of effects.
However, I cant seem to acheive what you suggest. If I select model --- (i.e. "none") in the amp section then the cab and mic emulation is switched off automatically and all I get is the direct signal. I've also tried using the "pre" versions of some of the amp models. To get any volume at all I have to turn up the gain and essentially use it as a volume knob (with EQ settings all at 0 and channel volume at 100%). It doesnt sound great and all the amp pre models sound different suggesting significant colouration from the amp modelling. Is there a better way to do this?

Are there any good ipad apps that act as "impulse response loaders"?

Thanks again
I stand corrected - I just tried what I recommended, and realized that it didn't really work. The closest I found was using the "Flip Top Pre" set relatively flat and setting the cab to something else - that also had the advantage of giving me a relatively uncolored way to shape the tone (4-band EQ in the Flip Top) beyond what the cab was doing. I see no issue with using it this way - you're getting coloration from the load box in any case, and a bit of corrective equalization can go a long way!

Here is a sample of me using the cab in the Axe-FX II along with the project I linked to above:

Actually, the first sound is the internal analog cab sim, the second is the Axe set to a cab that sounds close, and the third was both the internal cab sim and the Axe D60 model with the cab used in the clip. The same reverb and delay from the Axe was used on all three.

I'm not sure about the iPad thing - seems more than a little clunky to me, given the need for a power supply for the audio interface you are using with the iPad. I really think you'd be better off (and a lot more flexible) with a laptop and Mainstage or Live if you were to go that direction - but that is of course IMHO.
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dented42ford View Post
I stand corrected - I just tried what I recommended, and realized that it didn't really work. The closest I found was using the "Flip Top Pre" set relatively flat and setting the cab to something else - that also had the advantage of giving me a relatively uncolored way to shape the tone (4-band EQ in the Flip Top) beyond what the cab was doing. I see no issue with using it this way - you're getting coloration from the load box in any case, and a bit of corrective equalization can go a long way!

Here is a sample of me using the cab in the Axe-FX II along with the project I linked to above:

Actually, the first sound is the internal analog cab sim, the second is the Axe set to a cab that sounds close, and the third was both the internal cab sim and the Axe D60 model with the cab used in the clip. The same reverb and delay from the Axe was used on all three.

I'm not sure about the iPad thing - seems more than a little clunky to me, given the need for a power supply for the audio interface you are using with the iPad. I really think you'd be better off (and a lot more flexible) with a laptop and Mainstage or Live if you were to go that direction - but that is of course IMHO.
Great thanks for that suggestioin...I'll try the flip top pre with the V30 loaded cab sim... Your right about load box coloration as well.

If thats no use I'll either stick to the pod alone for headphone use or consider the laptop solution...
Old 17th October 2013
RiF
Lives for gear

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with a Pod HD for silent practicing?
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman82 View Post
Great thanks for that suggestioin...I'll try the flip top pre with the V30 loaded cab sim... Your right about load box coloration as well.

If thats no use I'll either stick to the pod alone for headphone use or consider the laptop solution...
Update- just to let you know, the podHD/Flip Top pre suggestion has worked an absolute treat!! About as close to my actual amp tone through headphones as I can realistically imagine getting.

As you say needed a small tweak of the EQ parameters. Using gain and channel volume on the pod to adjust overall volume after setting the knobs on my amp where I like them for normal practice.

Thanks so much....you know your stuff!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with a Pod HD for silent practicing?
Good question....I just liked the idea of using the same basic amp tone for all uses. It's a trial really.

The podHD is truely a fantastic piece of kit and I could use it alone and get pretty close to the real amps sound. I may do that in the future, particularly if I start burning through amp tubes!
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I use a hotplate into a PD-09 and I think it sounds fantastic. The 3 position EQ is pretty versatile. I had an original redbox, but it sounded thin by comparison. I haven't tried the new redbox though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search